Planning an online game set in the Jedi Purge era

By BeyondFandom, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

So two things, first I want to know if anyone had any thoughts about running games during that time period. The players would be padawans whose masters were killed and have banded together for safety and survival. They will have basic lightsabers, but nothing special and they won't be self made ones.

I figure I can use most of the standard Imperial npc stats as is and just call them Clone Troopers instead of Stormtroopers. Can anyone think of anything else that needs adjusting?

Secondly, I am looking for players. I don't have a definite date/time yet, but it will probably be a weekday starting around 22:00 GMT / 6pm EDT.

If you're interested and the timeframe works, PM me your Skype and your email, so I can add you to the G+ community I've started for the game.

I'd adjust the possession of basic lightsabers into training lightsabers instead.

That way they're not overpowered for non Knight level play.

But would it be logical for padawans to only have training sabers? Aren't those more for younglings and sparring?

True, but given the CRB cost of a basic lightsaber, it's likely padawan on the run aren't going to either a) have that much cash or b) want to draw attention to themselves with such an iconic and flashy weapon when the Jedi are being wholesale slaughtered

Well the iconic and flashy part is still going to be true of training sabers, but I am definitely going to make them aware that use of lightsabers in public will definitely draw Imperial attention to them. I'll consider giving them training sabers though, thanks.

If the OP is starting the game at Knight Level (which is what I'd suggest for a field-ready Padawan), then starting out with basic lightsabers isn't a big deal.

Given it's largely going to be the galaxy against the PCs, starting them out at Knight Level isn't a bad idea, as there's not really any kind of support network for Jedi-on-the-run until much closer to the Rebellion Era, and it'd be just soon enough after Order 66 that the Empire would still be on high alert for any survivors.

So looking into it, around age 13 is when initiates are generally either taken as padawans or sent off to one of the various Jedi Corps. I think 11-13 seems like an ok age to have PC characters. Have there been any rules or mention of playing younger characters?

If the OP is starting the game at Knight Level (which is what I'd suggest for a field-ready Padawan), then starting out with basic lightsabers isn't a big deal.

Given it's largely going to be the galaxy against the PCs, starting them out at Knight Level isn't a bad idea, as there's not really any kind of support network for Jedi-on-the-run until much closer to the Rebellion Era, and it'd be just soon enough after Order 66 that the Empire would still be on high alert for any survivors.

No, I'm definitely not starting at Knight Level, but base stat.

Edited by BeyondFandom

So looking into it, around age 13 is when initiates are generally either taken as padawans or sent off to one of the various Jedi Corps. I think 11-13 seems like an ok age to have PC characters. Have there been any rules or mention of playing younger characters?

No, I'm definitely not starting at Knight Level, but base stat.

If you are not making them "field ready" level of Padawan...meaning they were as capable as Obi-Wan Kenobi was in Phantom Menace (and please understand, that Obi-Wan Kenobi was NOT a starting stat PC, far from it), then I wouldn't give them actual lightsabers.

Give them training sabers, or not even that, if they were showing aptitude in other avenues that were their main focus. Not every student would have the same focus on saber training, based on personal aptitude. So if some of them are playing more social/intelligence based characters, it would make sense they spent more of their time up to Order 66, learning other things besides saber training. So they'd be even less likely to have a real saber. If you are making them be that young (11-13), then you might have an issue with the idea of a group of kids, all minors, acting autonomously in the big, dangerous galaxy. I know movies and shows like to push adults to the background, so the kid heroes can shine and save the day, but in reality, a group of kids all working on their own, surviving on their own, possibly even traveling from planet to planet, entirely without adult supervision would be strange to most people in the galaxy. Now sure, some species have different ages of adulthood, but if you are going with "they are juveniles, whatever species they are", then anyone would likely ask "Where are your parents?!"

So I would suggest either giving them an adult Mentor group resource as their "guardian", to justify them traveling (with the Mentor in the background), or if you don't go that route, and you want them to be fully autonomous, you should make sure they are all aware of how difficult it will be for a group of kids to survive and thrive in the galaxy, not to mention having Imperial hunting parties trying to track them down.

Most gangs of kids like that, would be street urchins, living hand to mouth, stuck on one planet (and likely one city), unable to thrive at all, just barely surviving. These kids would be an exception to that to some degree, but they shouldn't be rolling in credits, and their lives shouldn't be easy at all.

If you are not making them "field ready" level of Padawan...meaning they were as capable as Obi-Wan Kenobi was in Phantom Menace (and please understand, that Obi-Wan Kenobi was NOT a starting stat PC, far from it), then I wouldn't give them actual lightsabers.

Give them training sabers, or not even that, if they were showing aptitude in other avenues that were their main focus. Not every student would have the same focus on saber training , based on personal aptitude. So if some of them are playing more social/intelligence based characters, it would make sense they spent more of their time up to Order 66, learning other things besides saber training. So they'd be even less likely to have a real saber. If you are making them be that young (11-13), then you might have an issue with the idea of a group of kids, all minors, acting autonomously in the big, dangerous galaxy. I know movies and shows like to push adults to the background, so the kid heroes can shine and save the day, but in reality , a group of kids all working on their own, surviving on their own, possibly even traveling from planet to planet, entirely without adult supervision would be strange to most people in the galaxy. Now sure, some species have different ages of adulthood, but if you are going with "they are juveniles, whatever species they are", then anyone would likely ask "Where are your parents?!"

So I would suggest either giving them an adult Mentor group resource as their "guardian", to justify them traveling (with the Mentor in the background), or if you don't go that route, and you want them to be fully autonomous, you should make sure they are all aware of how difficult it will be for a group of kids to survive and thrive in the galaxy, not to mention having Imperial hunting parties trying to track them down.

Most gangs of kids like that, would be street urchins, living hand to mouth, stuck on one planet (and likely one city), unable to thrive at all, just barely surviving. These kids would be an exception to that to some degree, but they shouldn't be rolling in credits, and their lives shouldn't be easy at all .

Changed the bold for emphasis for my needs to address the various parts of your post.

1. Obi-Wan was nearly done with his padawan training in Phantom Menace, as shown by Qui-Gon stating he was ready for his trials.
  2. Obviously if a player wasn't interested in having a saber, I wouldn't force him to have one. That should go without saying.
  3. This is a game, based in a fictional setting with exceptional heroes. Reality has nothing to do with it.
  4. I'm ok with the idea that people would raise eyebrows and have issues with a bunch of kids running around without supervision, that would be part of the challenge.
  5. I have considered giving the group a (non-Jedi) mentor and it's an option I will be presenting to the group.
  6. They're PCs, if their lives are easy, it'd be a pretty boring game.

Don't forget that Padme Amidala was elected to the highest Naboo political office at 16 years old. She had the background of intense education, while Anakin was home schooled (apparently) and building a droid as well as a pod racer. An 11-13 year old in the Star Wars universe should be unsurprisingly advanced.

Changed the bold for emphasis for my needs to address the various parts of your post.

1. Obi-Wan was nearly done with his padawan training in Phantom Menace, as shown by Qui-Gon stating he was ready for his trials.
  2. Obviously if a player wasn't interested in having a saber, I wouldn't force him to have one. That should go without saying.

You were debating whether or not to give them real sabers or training sabers, I gave you reasons that would fit the setting that you could use to help make a decision.

And I never said you should force anyone on anything, that should go without saying, and it did, because I didn't say it.

1. This is a game, based in a fictional setting with exceptional heroes. Reality has nothing to do with it.

Then why are you even asking us for advice on how you should proceed? Just do whatever you want and be done with it.

1. I'm ok with the idea that people would raise eyebrows and have issues with a bunch of kids running around without supervision, that would be part of the challenge.
  2. I have considered giving the group a (non-Jedi) mentor and it's an option I will be presenting to the group.
  3. They're PCs, if their lives are easy, it'd be a pretty boring game.

I never said their lives should be easy, I was pointing out elements of how that difficult life would play out, if you are having a group of kids wandering the galaxy as heroes. You asked us if we had thoughts about how you could run your game, based on the story elements you listed, those are mine.

I'd be interested depending on when and at what time. Hmmmm

This is sort of where I stand, too. I've got a game I run on Friday nights, so I couldn't attend that night. I also have what I would call a "roving" game that changes the night of week each week. I'd need to know what night to set aside, so I don't schedule that game in conflict with this one.

This is sort of where I stand, too. I've got a game I run on Friday nights, so I couldn't attend that night. I also have what I would call a "roving" game that changes the night of week each week. I'd need to know what night to set aside, so I don't schedule that game in conflict with this one.

My bigger concern is a job that is inconsistent on when it wants to give me nights off.

Send me your info and once I get a good size group, we can discuss the schedule and see what works for everyone.

Give them training sabers, or not even that, if they were showing aptitude in other avenues that were their main focus. Not every student would have the same focus on saber training , based on personal aptitude. So if some of them are playing more social/intelligence based characters, it would make sense they spent more of their time up to Order 66, learning other things besides saber training. So they'd be even less likely to have a real saber. If you are making them be that young (11-13), then you might have an issue with the idea of a group of kids, all minors, acting autonomously in the big, dangerous galaxy. I know movies and shows like to push adults to the background, so the kid heroes can shine and save the day, but in reality , a group of kids all working on their own, surviving on their own, possibly even traveling from planet to planet, entirely without adult supervision would be strange to most people in the galaxy. Now sure, some species have different ages of adulthood, but if you are going with "they are juveniles, whatever species they are", then anyone would likely ask "Where are your parents?!"

Most gangs of kids like that, would be street urchins, living hand to mouth, stuck on one planet (and likely one city), unable to thrive at all, just barely surviving. These kids would be an exception to that to some degree, but they shouldn't be rolling in credits, and their lives shouldn't be easy at all .

3. This is a game, based in a fictional setting with exceptional heroes. Reality has nothing to do with it.
  4. I'm ok with the idea that people would raise eyebrows and have issues with a bunch of kids running around without supervision, that would be part of the challenge.
  5. I have considered giving the group a (non-Jedi) mentor and it's an option I will be presenting to the group.
  6. They're PCs, if their lives are easy, it'd be a pretty boring game.

OK, so we did something similar to this for our campaign which started a few months before Order 66/Empire Day. Here's how our GM did it.

We are a specific Youngling Initiate Clan (Thranta Clan actually) and whilst a lot of us were reaching the age to begin Padawan Trials (youngest an 8-year-old Chiss, oldest a 14-year-old human), because of the war, there weren't enough Masters to spare to go and actually oversee our Trials.

To get us off Coruscant, we were sent to a back-up Jedi Temple with a conscientious objector to Jedi involvement in the war and spent some time training (and getting emotionally attached) to him, as well as have a few wacky adventures along the way (one of which was somehow taking out a Seperatist battle ship fleeing the Battle of Kashyyyk by ourselves). The Purge hits, we have to deal with the trauma of our dead Master (and guilt on my character's part, who made the decision to euthanise him when our GM made it clear he wasn't allowed to live).

It works out quite well because we have the attachments of having all grown up together and being the closest thing a Jedi has to family before the parental subsititute of a Master/Padawan bond.

We started out with a training lightsaber each, heavy robes, a Jedi communicator and a utility belt.

Things that come out of this:

1. We had the stuff slowly scaled up. So first there was a training session at the Temple, then we went on a fetch quest that segued into a chase (and drop kicking an orphan) before being shipped off to Elendil and getting attacked by pirates on the way (and getting attached to two clonetroopers, so guess who the GM sent to murder us...). The Purge was the first time two of us got close to dying with us fleeing across a beach and only just escaping due to outside help.

2. One of our characters doesn't have a saber (he has shown interest in a lightsaber gauntlet) and primarily Brawls as his combat check. His real value is in lying, cheating, stealing and threatening his way across the galaxy (he somehow persuaded an ISB agent we were Imperial loyalists and we stole an entire Wookiee village from under his nose).

3. We've generally been coping pretty well though our triple-crossing of a Hutt has just come back to bite us on the butt. In general, it's very hard for a PC to die, but maybe have a few timeskips to let them raise XP/funds before setting an Inquisitor on them (though we tag-teamed and totalled our first Inquisitor).

4. We had a 2-year time skip immediately following the Purge as our group had split up. We mostly masqueraded as war orphans and luckily our two youngest characters are Chiss and have an accelerate puberty -after the timeskip the 10-year-old was about the same as a 15-year-old. Another found the patronage of a Hutt, one was in prison for 2 years and 2 others were acting as bounty hunters and possibly drew too much attention to themselves. If you can get them into Hutt Space, people are less likely to look at a group of teenagers trying to survive -though they're unlikely to get a ship without falsified credentials.

5. Our two Chiss have a mysterious Iktochi benefactor/boss who is an information broker who took them in and sends them on varying quests to find Jedi stuff. She's wonderfully mysterious and we don't really know what her motivations are. Half our party also just spent some time training with one of the last Nightsisters (and due to another player's manipulations, one of those has just been proposed to by the leader of the Nightbrothers to become the new Nightmother...) Also, after our Dantooine farm/base was attacked by an Inquisitor, we spent some time at Maz Kanata's place who was just a generally very sensible and stabilising influence.

6. We decided to royally complicate our lives by rescuing and adopting a few much younger Jedi Younglings. However, this leads to the interesting thing that they've got to the age we were when the campaign started and we've run out of things to teach them. Fear over them is actually a really good way to get our characters scared/dipping into the Dark Side/Destiny Pool.

So a schedule has been set but we lost one player, so I'm still looking for 1-2 more.

Wednesdays 24:00 - 03:00 GMT / 8pm - 11pm Eastern

Contact me via Skype - crackedozy

On 7/5/2016 at 1:24 PM, orcface999 said:

Don't forget that Padme Amidala was elected to the highest Naboo political office at 16 years old. She had the background of intense education, while Anakin was home schooled (apparently) and building a droid as well as a pod racer. An 11-13 year old in the Star Wars universe should be unsurprisingly advanced.

Actually, it was 14, not 16. I believe the youngest queen elected was 12-13 years of age

During the clone wars Jedi younglings were sent on their gathering to find kyber crystals and build light-sabers before even being assigned to a padawn position.