Handsculpted X Wing figures-WARNING: AMATEUR

By Supertoe, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

I haven't done any sculpting in a long time (never was much good at it), but I thought I'd give it a go. Hope you enjoy these, even if they are a little below standard. :P

Acrylic paints and gray clay used to make these.

TIE Fighter

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3085740/toenail21

I really like the paint scheme on this.

TIE/FO Fighter (Yes, I realize I screwed up on this. Its a learning experience.)

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3085738/toenail21

Edited by Toenail

Rebel (reserved)

Edited by Toenail

Scum (reserved)

Edited by Toenail

Pics are up!

Edited by Toenail

More pics soon.

Some comment & critique

It seems as if you are sculpting these as one big piece. You are probably much better off (given your lack of experience) sculpting them in parts and assembling them later. Also, it seems as if you are trying to get in all the details all at once.

So some tips.

First you should look up the dimensions on your subject. A TIE Fighter is relatively simple and is a good place to start. For the parts where you are able you should use templates. On a TIE Fighter this would be the panels. Pick your scale, draw a template on a piece of paper, roll out your sculpting medium flat using a roller and cut the outline of the template with a hobby knife or other suitable tool. Repeat this for the second panel and leave them to harden. You will add the other details later.

For the cockpit you can either work by hand trying to create a spherical shape or use some kind of ball shaping tool. This is probably the trickiest to get right. But you can rough shape it and fill/polish it to the desired shape later. This should also be left to harden.

After you have the basic shape of the craft you can worry about getting the details in place.

The gist of my advice is to work in small discrete steps instead of trying to get everything perfect on the first try.

Some comment & critique

It seems as if you are sculpting these as one big piece. You are probably much better off (given your lack of experience) sculpting them in parts and assembling them later. Also, it seems as if you are trying to get in all the details all at once.

So some tips.

First you should look up the dimensions on your subject. A TIE Fighter is relatively simple and is a good place to start. For the parts where you are able you should use templates. On a TIE Fighter this would be the panels. Pick your scale, draw a template on a piece of paper, roll out your sculpting medium flat using a roller and cut the outline of the template with a hobby knife or other suitable tool. Repeat this for the second panel and leave them to harden. You will add the other details later.

For the cockpit you can either work by hand trying to create a spherical shape or use some kind of ball shaping tool. This is probably the trickiest to get right. But you can rough shape it and fill/polish it to the desired shape later. This should also be left to harden.

After you have the basic shape of the craft you can worry about getting the details in place.

The gist of my advice is to work in small discrete steps instead of trying to get everything perfect on the first try.

Thanks for the advice! I'm really just doing these for fun, don't really care how they turn out.