Just one core set + two chapters

By Uzziel, in Deck Building

Hi there. I hope that you are all keeping well?

There are a few posts on the forum with regards to building decks with numerous core sets. There are however not really any with regards to playing using a single core set.

Off the bat I realize that it is not ideal to play with one core set and I have read all the arguments for multiple sets. I do however currently only have one set, so I want to make it work for now.

How would I practically go about using one core set and two chapter expansions to get the best experience out of it for a joust or a melee? I assume that the loyalty functionality will have to fall away, but what else would have to happen? Would a draft of the houses and neutral cards be the best way to start out? (Assuming that the tutorial decks in the manual have been played)

Would the game still be as richly thematic and fun (though a bit less strategic with only one of each card)?

Regards

I'd start with the tutorial decks, then start adding in some of the characters from the chapter packs.

Take two factions with cards which combine well. Look at the keywords affected by events and character abilities. Pad with neutrals. Maybe play with 40-card decks until you have more. Two cycles in I bet you'll have an embarrassment of choices, but until then plan to get at least another core between chapter packs and deluxes.

Wolves of the North adds 27 (x3) cards for non-Stark factions and neutrals, so it's a decent purchase. If you like Stark it's a great one.