New to RPG - can PC turn to the dark side?

By nathankc, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

I'm new to RPGs in general (and my group [family] will be as well) - I'll be acting as the GM and am trying to figure out what the rules are for something that may inevitably happen at some point:

I can foresee that one or a couple of my PCs may want to have their characters turn to the dark side at some point. In reading the included beginners game rules I can see that they can choose to use the dark side with some consequences (although that was little murky), but I'm asking specifically if they choose to say, betray the rest of the PCs and side up with the enemy. Is that possible? Do we completely divert from the given adventure and chase that rabbit? Has that happened to anyone else?

Like I said, we haven't even started playing yet, but I can imagine this might come up at some point.

This is a complex question.

Technically, yes, it is possible to play a dark side character. The beginner game is less built for this, as it is designed to introduce new players into the system, and is relatively linear, not allowing for much branching off; the full RPG (i.e. purchasing at least the Force and Destiny Core Rulebook) allows for a bit more freedom in regards to designing dark side games, and designing PCs that are inclined towards or already are dark side users.

Especially considering you and your group are completely new to RPGs, I would run the adventure more or less as written, just so everybody can acclimate to the concept. Once everybody has familiarized themselves with the rules, you can try other things. Talk with everybody before the game starts, let them know this, and try to gently curb they players that might be prone to this back on track, for this game only .

Technical details aside, this is something of a thing that most GMs are nervous about, having the party turned against each other. It can often turn players against each other, leading to hurt feelings, and lead to abandoned campaigns and games. Generally, it usually works best if all characters and players remain on the same team. It can be done, but not without caution. That is my thought, though, and others may have differing thoughts.

Blackbird basically hit the nail on the head. The Beginner's Game is not designed for Dark Side play; there are rules for drawing on and even falling to the Dark Side, but they are more complex than the beginner game and it's altered Conflict/Morality rules generally allow. It's doable , but I'd make the argument that, if it's done at all, it's best done by an experienced GM and experienced players who want to take the Kit and its extended PDF adventure for a run to test the FaD system and with that goal in mind - it takes a lot of improvising both in the story and the mechanics.

And, like Blackbird suggested, you'll all really want some RPG experience under your belt before you try, even with the backing of the rules. The Dark Side is really kind of cool, but including it can challenge the GM (as one might expect) and even the players, who will need to draw on their experience both with the system and the idea of playing a character in an RPG to make it work without destroying the game. So... well, play the Kit as intended. It's not the most fun you can have with an RPG, but it's a good time and a solid introduction to the concepts.

Just really make sure the players know ahead of time that you're going to have to compromise some of the freedom that a "full" RPG offers to make a valuable learning experience. Before things pick up, let them know this is something you're doing to get everyone acclimated, and it's written a bit rigid in order to do so; the whole thing works better when players are aware of accept the rails they're put on. ^_^

Thirded. The first time out, learn the system, get familiar with the rules, get your feet under you. And THEN you can start coloring outside the lines.

I would have said play a darksider, okay but not evil.

You should be able to come up with some great role-playing experiences provided they understand that the Darkside doesn't mean playing an evil character.

So if they want an evil campaign check to see if your other players are okay with this, if they are you've given them fair warning but if not remind your wannabe darksiders that it's YOUR job to supply the opposition not theirs!

Have they given you any explanation for their characters yet?