Equipment Marker

By magicrealm, in Runebound

So every time you get an Equipment card, a weapon, an armor, you have to search the combat markers to find the exact one that matches the card ?

How in hell can such a crap come into production ??? Who is responsible for that ? Unbelievable !

I'm not sharing your sentiment at all.
Just completed my first game. My partner and I enjoyed it. The highlight was definitely the asset and skills upgrading and combat systems.
After the first time looking for a token that matches whatever one of us bought in the market, it became easy to find what we needed when we noticed that on top of the written code in the card, the token colour matches the card colour.
So to ease your woes I would suggest the following:
First put all of the unused tokens on a surface (do not attempt to do this with tokens in a bag).
Second: Look for the right colours.
Then look for the letter and number that matches.
No more than 10 seconds looking for it, I reckon.

Hope my advice helps you.

Edited by AARONZEA

Yup, all items are color-coded (red for weapons and so on) and they come with an alphanumerical label, indicating the subset they belong to and the number of the item. It's just a few secs getting the right one

The combat system with the token is so much better than the one with dice. A lot more strategy in the actual combat phase but also in the strategy to acquire the equipment to best suit your build.

I didn't care for the V2, I played it a couple of time and then sold it. This one is a keeper for me, essentially due to the token system

The colors don't really help if color blind. Computer game devs have learned to build color-blind friendly UIs. Boardgames may wish to follow this trend. In some cases it can be as simple as enlarging the letter labels - they are quite tiny on the tokens and if I couldn't see the colors it would be a lot harder for me.

Edited by moppers

I agree colour blindness would detract certain aspects of gameplay. Just like it detracts certain aspects of real life.

But to be fair it would affect approximately <8% of the players.

And there is still the alphanumeric code and the image in the token. I understand it would be more cumbersome to find tokens using only those 2 factors.

Maybe the OP is colour blind. And that is why he has such a strong reaction to something that >90% of players learn easily how to deal with.

I still would not call it a "crap production" or that the use of tokens that match some of the assets is an "unbelievable" way to produce a game.

Three item identifiers on the tokens ( the colour, image and code), two of which are non-colour dependent, is pretty good by most game standards I would say.

I generally stack all the tokens of to the side (generally by colour, but you can easily sort by code) before playing. Makes it quick and easy to find tokens.

You're rarely going to be in combat and shopping in the same turn anyway so finding them can be done on other people's turns too.

If you wanted, you could also bag all the token types separately to make setup and token retrieval easier.

I think the novelty of Tokens is very interesting to resolve the fighting.

It is not the usual "roll the dice" and is more tactical.

In contrast, it is inevitably slower when search the Tokens and in solving a fight.

Good organization of the parts of the game can significantly reduce the search time of tokens.

R/G colorblind here and it doesn't detract from the game - the shades are different enough that they can be differentiated. Plus pictures of the items and alphanumeric codes also help differentiate. Plenty done here to cater to the colorblind (unlike Hyperborea for example which is a nightmare).

I have all the tokens sorted in a divider box - each of the token types/colors gets their own section (weapons, armor, etc..)