Starting Daemonic Weapon

By Amroth, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Hi fellow Black Crusaders,

I've just created a Frost Father of Xurant and lucked out with his gifts, getting a both Rewards of the Gods and a Daemonic Weapon for his starting mutation.

I only wanted one power, which I have rolled for, but what I am not sure about is how to determine binding strength for a weapon that was earned as a reward as opposed to created.

Obviously with just one power I want to have the binding strength as high as possible to reduce the chances of the Daemon taken over at any point but I have no idea how to determine it.

Does anybody know the rules on this or errata if it exists? Chances are I missed it somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

There is literally no printed way this works. You're going to have to houserule.

Myself, I made demonic weapons on the table binding strength 0 because it was more interesting. You'll get more neat powers that way.

Thanks for that Terraneaux I don't feel so stupid now not being able to find or figure out how to calculate the binding strength.

I was originally thinking of just adding 1 to the binding strength for each attribute the weapon had from table 5-22 on page 201 as there was technically no need to summon the daemon since it was gifted.

Your idea is pretty cool though, especially as my character is not the typical, he fought to protect those he loved but of course Baphtar (Khorne) got into his soul and pretty soon he was slaughtering whole tribes. He still tries to take control and make a difference for the positive, so having a powerful weapon that can take control occasionally and drive him to greater acts of brutality than what his visions of death already does might add to the tragedy.

Mind you I'm not sure once the Daemon takes control when you actually get a chance to get your body back either, though in this case I am sure I have just missed it.

I wonder if there is anyway to contact FFG and actually ask how they intended the binding strength for rewards of the gods daemon weapons to work.....

I put the deamon at binding lvl o as well, but only ever had it try to take over if the player expressly went against the wishes of whatever god gave it to him.

Thanks, that's another great idea too!

You can always count on the BC community to come up with creative and practical solutions. Especially when the actual rules are missing.

I was originally thinking of just adding 1 to the binding strength for each attribute the weapon had from table 5-22 on page 201 as there was technically no need to summon the daemon since it was gifted.

So it actually works the other way - the amount of powers a demon weapon has is equal to (demon's WP bonus) - binding strength. Ergo since the minimum binding strength you could get was 1 the max number of powers you could get was equal to the demon's WP bonus -1. Making the binding strength 0 makes the demon weapons from the gifts of the gods more unique (But also harder to control, at least at first - make sure to frenzy for that WP bonus!)

I randomly rolled for my players (too long ago to remember what chart i used) but they ended up with 1-3. I did make an npc available later who could reduce the binding strength but no one ever took me up on that option.

And isn't 1 the minimum?

That's also a great idea when in doubt.

I think binding strength 1 is the minimum but the examples above are houserules so pretty much anything goes.