Open Group Advice

By Bigdork, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Doing Wanted tomorrow and would love to get Old Wounds. I am using Military Might and have Assault Armor and Combat Veterans. Threat level is 4. Any recommendations on my 3 open groups? So far I set aside Elite Stormies, Heavy Stormies, and HK Droid. I also have the free imperial officer.

I am worried it would be tough to get the elite stormies out with deployment of 9 but it does have the double threat at the beginning of the mission.

I have all the expansions except Bespin.

I don't have the books in front of me, are there any restrictions on teh open groups?

I don't have the books in front of me, are there any restrictions on teh open groups?

Nope no restrictions.

(Oops, misunderstood the post.)

The generic list of restrictions:

1. You take out initial and reserved groups first. Component limitations may prevent you from selecting some deployment cards into your open groups. (Even if you had extra deployment cards of some groups. See each expansion for specific restrictions.)

2. You can only select unique figures if you have earned them.

3. Only use the ones you had available at the beginning of the campaign, unless you have agreed with the rebels to add contend during the campaign.

4. You must observe mission restrictions when applicable (such as "No Creatures", or "No Mercenary groups").

5. Don't exceed the number of open groups specified by the mission.

Edited by a1bert

I would definitely add in Trandoshans. They are hard, hit hard and have some good surge abilities. Plus they are not TOO expensive to drop. I like having base stormies, just to have something cheap to drop. I also like the HKs, but, that is purely so I can use HK-47 quotes. Maybe drop the HKs for the Trandos? I also like having a probe droid running around. But that is just my group I think. they seem to panic whenever I drop a probe

(Oops, misunderstood the post.)

The generic list of restrictions:

1. You take out initial and reserved groups first. Component limitations may prevent you from selecting some deployment cards into your open groups. (Even if you had extra deployment cards of some groups. See each expansion for specific restrictions.)

2. You can only select unique figures if you have earned them.

3. Only use the ones you had available at the beginning of the campaign, unless you have agreed with the rebels to add contend during the campaign.

4. You must observe mission restrictions when applicable (such as "No Creatures", or "No Mercenary groups").

5. Don't exceed the number of open groups specified by the mission.

Yeah, I meant mission specific restrictions. Sorry for the confusion.

I would definitely add in Trandoshans. They are hard, hit hard and have some good surge abilities. Plus they are not TOO expensive to drop. I like having base stormies, just to have something cheap to drop. I also like the HKs, but, that is purely so I can use HK-47 quotes. Maybe drop the HKs for the Trandos? I also like having a probe droid running around. But that is just my group I think. they seem to panic whenever I drop a probe

The Normal Trands are an initial group along with a copy of IG-88, I think the Elites might be too expensive for the threat level 4.

Sorry I should have specified that in the intial post, my bad.

Elite Stormtroopers with Combat Veterans would be devastating, the only issue is will you have enough threat and would you have Combat Veterans and maybe Assault Armor available when you get to deploy them. You either handicap your initial groups by not using the attachments from the start, or handicap the Stormtroopers group later if you don't manage to get the initial groups defeated in time...

Maybe you should not take both HK Assassin Droids and Stormtroopers with threat level 4. You would want to have something cheaper to deploy if you need more activations - but Internal Affairs possibly fills that requirement.

The Normal Trands are an initial group along with a copy of IG-88, I think the Elites might be too expensive for the threat level 4.

Sorry I should have specified that in the intial post, my bad.

Crap. Yeah, that would change who I bring as opens. Maybe swap out the elite stormies for Elite Trandos. I find Trandos to be one of the most efficient units in teh game, cost for effectiveness and all. I try and bring them to everything. My players have learned to despise them

I want to keep some Stormies since I have Combat Veterans. Maybe I'll go with Elite Stormies, Hired Guns, and a Probe Droid. That will give me the initial group Trannys (pun intended) and Elite Stormies as my harder hitting groups with the Hired Guns, Probe Droid, and my free officer as some cheap drops for activations.

I can drop the probe droid for 3 on my initial deploy and bank 5 of that threat. Then at the end of round 1 get the 4 threat i can drop the elite Stormies with combat veterans and assault armor.

Hired guns are a nice cheap unit, specially with teh smack back attack when you kill them. They'll be dropping like flies and you'll be dropping them on the table just as fast. I like probe droids. Another efficient unit. And Elite Stormies as your heavy unit. I like it.

p.s. they prefer Trandos..... :lol:

Cool will roll with that probably. I have just been itching to try the HK droids so i was trying to crowbar them into my list. I thought teaming them with IG-88 would be good flavor...but I just got Combat Veterans and I want to use it after saving up all the XP to get it.

I hear you. You ALWAYS want to take your new toys for a spin.

Regular troopers are your best bet. At 4 threat you can reinforce 2 troopers per turn and with your attachments killing 2 per turn will be rough. You should be able to eventually overwhelm them.

Regular troopers are your best bet. At 4 threat you can reinforce 2 troopers per turn and with your attachments killing 2 per turn will be rough. You should be able to eventually overwhelm them.

You think they will hold up well enough with both attachments? The rebels are starting to eat regular storm troopers for breakfast.

The surge: +2dmg of the elites is a fairly sizable benefit in addition to the added health, especially with Combat Veterans, which lets them withstand one or even two attacks. (And Assault Armor makes it even more probable.) So there would not be need to reinforce each round. However, if the rebels have top-notch weapons for single-shotting elite stormtroopers, then it's best to switch to regulars.

The surge: +2dmg of the elites is a fairly sizable benefit in addition to the added health, especially with Combat Veterans, which lets them withstand one or even two attacks. (And Assault Armor makes it even more probable.) So there would not be need to reinforce each round. However, if the rebels have top-notch weapons for single-shotting elite Stormtroopers, then it's best to switch to regulars.

Not yet. I don't think they could single shot Elites. I have seen them single shot normal troopers without the Assault Armor though. Dalia with a vibro-blade with strain to take away the defense dice has sliced through some normal stormies.

You think they will hold up well enough with both attachments? The rebels are starting to eat regular storm troopers for breakfast.

5 health +1 block? It will depends on the heroes but that is often enough to require 2 shots rather than 1. If they're taking out things that tough that easily you might want to think about Hired Guns.

I ran this mission recently, and lost by a very small margin. (Threat was 5 fyi)

All but one hero were wounded, one was incapacitated (mission rule) and the remaining unwounded had 2 health left.

I could have been a meanie and choked the escape point with figures, but that wouldn't have been fun for any of us.

The heroes are killing most things in one hit at the moment (Diala, Gaarkhan, Loku, Mak)

I'm using Armored Onslaught, using Explosive Munitions with Heavy Firepower, Mortar and Explosive Entry as often as possible.

Also, be aware that the door to the escape closes every round, so whoever is last to escape will either already have to have the door open for them, or be at the terminal, make the check and then get to the escape.

IG-88 goes down very easily, and you have probe droid (x2) and trandoshans as your other groups.

I'd suggest possibly a Regular Nexu, Regular Stormtroopers and Hired Guns. Maybe steer towards as many activations as possible.

Edited by Majushi

Elite Tandoshans (even regular) and Royal Guards (rarely spend the pts for elite cuz theyre melee) are my go to for open groups.

~D

Whelp I beat them pretty easily. I ended up going with Elite Stormies, Regular Stormies, and Hire Guns Another mission that I kinda felt sorry for the rebels but I really wanted the reward and didn't really hold back. I am starting to get grumblings of....this game is really hard. I might have to pull back on the next couple missions.

They really had a hard time dealing with the Elite Stormies with both Assault Armor and Combat Veterans.

They didnt get the keycard from the Trando until round 3 and didnt open the door to the office until round 4. I was able to keep them distracted by dropping the hired guns every round and they keep using turns to deal with them. Also I used Restorative Supplies to keep the Trando with the Keycard alive an extra round. Once I wounded the 1st hero I burned my High Value Target and with the next Threat Increase I was able to drop the Elite Stormies with both attachments. All 3 were still alive at the end of the mission. I feel they really messed this up and is what ultimately led to them losing.

I banked threat until they opened the office door with only the Elite Stormies deployed and somehow they managed to all live that round as they focused on getting the keycard to the door. I hid the Trando with the keycard all the way in the corner as far away from the door as i could get. Then IG-88 and the probe droid deployed & threat increased. At the end of that round I had enough threat to redeploy the Trando squad along with the hired guns again. At the end of the map I had the Elite Stormies, Hired guns, Trandos, 2 Probe Droids, IG-88 all on the map. I never even got the chance to deploy the regular stormies.

Edited by Bigdork
On 2016. 06. 20. at 3:14 PM, a1bert said:

Elite Stormtroopers with Combat Veterans would be devastating, the only issue is will you have enough threat and would you have Combat Veterans and maybe Assault Armor available when you get to deploy them. You either handicap your initial groups by not using the attachments from the start, or handicap the Stormtroopers group later if you don't manage to get the initial groups defeated in time...

Maybe you should not take both HK Assassin Droids and Stormtroopers with threat level 4. You would want to have something cheaper to deploy if you need more activations - but Internal Affairs possibly fills that requirement.

Can you put on attachments when reinforcing? And on intial or reserved groups?

13 minutes ago, NagyLaci said:

Can you put on attachments when reinforcing? And on intial or reserved groups?

Reinforcing: No

Initial/Reserved Groups: Yes

Basically you can add an attachment anytime you put a new deployment card on the table.

When you reinforce you are not deploying.

Initial and reserved groups are deployed, and you can add attachments when deploying.

Get a creature to block up the doorways maybe?