funniest thing is deathwatch?

By Professor Tanhauser, in Deathwatch

Ok owing to my knowledge of physics, weapons and a few other fields I found it highly amusing when reading the deathwatch core book pg. 28 where a marine sergeant informs some scouts that a bolter she'll has a 'depleted deuterium' core.

Knowing what I do I would guess depleted deuterium would by either hydrogen or helium. I assumed the guy who writes the stuff just thought along the lines of depleted uranium but assumed deuterium wad more advanced.

Of course the sarge may have believed it was deleted deuterium, being told that by a tech preist or tech marine who then went to laugh his implants off. Or because keeping 'em ignorant is just imperial SOP.

so what in deathwatchn has amused you

the most?

I've always laughed at the "meter thick adamantium hulls" on space ships. How many stars did they kill to produce one ship??

I've always laughed at the "meter thick adamantium hulls" on space ships. How many stars did they kill to produce one ship??

Even worse: In one of the novels, amongst the imperial fleet there's this one of a kind ship that survived all the way from the dark age of technology. It had no shields. It had no need for shields. It was almost solid adamantium.as in entire hull of meter s thick adamantium. (And no, it wasn't named "Wolverine" ;) )

Edited by Robin Graves

No, if it was covered in adamantium it was named ''Ultron''. (And shove that 'vibranium' BS! Ultron was covered in adamantium, not something that sounds like you should make sex toys out of ilt!)

No, if it was covered in adamantium it was named ''Ultron''. (And shove that 'vibranium' BS! Ultron was covered in adamantium, not something that sounds like you should make sex toys out of ilt!)

Ultron vs Magneto: Shortest fights ever. ;)

Edited by Robin Graves

I'm remembering the Tau "dynamic entry" pic, where a battlesuit is jump kick/bounding off a Space Marine's face/torso.

I think one of the funniest/dumbest things in 40k, to me, is the Iron Hands. We take a baseline, if high-end, Human, who passes a lot of tough tests, and then we slowly change him into a Space Marine, by filling him up with extra organs, shooting him up with Venom, steroids, gene-therapy, and whatever else makes them grow that much, and say "tada!, another of the Emperor's Angels of Death!", just so he can frown, walk off, and immediately start lopping off some of those new bits, that remade flesh, and replace it with cybernetics, as if those weren't already there, and it would've been a lot easier to just make him a cyborg, from the get-go. Why are there still even Iron Hands Space Marines around? Why do they go through all the fuss of becoming Astartes, just to then say "yeah, but simple tech is better", and become something else? I know it's at least partly the Primarch's Curse, even though Ferrus Mannus never said that, but you'd think they would realize it as a flaw, sort of like the Blood Angels, or Space Wolves, and the fact that they were my example is making me cut off, right here. ;)

You just discovered a reason Marvel keeps some lines separate, most of the time. As for Adamantium/Vibranium, yes, Ultron did build himself a body out of Adamantium (which Mags would crush like a beer can with the Force), but later retcons on the history of several metals have Vibranium being actually a bit harder, and non-magnetic, while Adamantium is manufacturable, not naturally-occurring, and thus in finite quantities. In at least one story (we all know the "depends on whose writing this week" meme, yes?) the man who invented Cap's shield was working with several substances, including vibranium, and while he was sleeping, one night, on his desk, SOMETHING magical happened. Either Hephaestus showed up, or some other deity, and they made the shield what it is. The next day, a very surprised scientist tried again, but like so many miracles, he couldn't duplicate it. Efforts to try created the formula for adamantium, however, among other discoveries. At various points in the history, Cap's shield has been purportedly made of lots of things, be it Adamantium, Vibranium, an alloy of things, but usually Unobtainium, with a few traces of Absurdium, and Malarkyite, to keep the weight down, and hown the aerodynamics. ;) This helped explain its miraculous properties, even when other, similar objects, didn't behave the same, and also explained why it took something like the Odinforce to shatter it. Currently, I believe it IS said to be alloyed Vibranium, and recent cartoons have retconned Ultron as seeking Wakandan Vibranium for his body, but not being able to get it, due to the Avengers, so settling for Adamantium; it's heavy, impractical, and costly to make, but they had already made it for him, and it is pretty tough, to near-indestructible. Of course, as we know,even back in the day, it got destroyed, so Ultron could've done better. Sorry to nerd out there, off-topic, and even some of this might now be ret-conned; it's really hard to keep up. ;)

Edited by venkelos

I'm remembering the Tau "dynamic entry" pic, where a battlesuit is jump kick/bounding off a Space Marine's face/torso.

I think one of the funniest/dumbest things in 40k, to me, is the Iron Hands. We take a baseline, if high-end, Human, who passes a lot of tough tests, and then we slowly change him into a Space Marine, by filling him up with extra organs, shooting him up with Venom, steroids, gene-therapy, and whatever else makes them grow that much, and say "tada!, another of the Emperor's Angels of Death!", just so he can frown, walk off, and immediately start lopping off some of those new bits, that remade flesh, and replace it with cybernetics, as if those weren't already there, and it would've been a lot easier to just make him a cyborg, from the get-go. Why are there still even Iron Hands Space Marines around? Why do they go through all the fuss of becoming Astartes, just to then say "yeah, but simple tech is better", and become something else? I know it's at least partly the Primarch's Curse, even though Ferrus Mannus never said that, but you'd think they would realize it as a flaw, sort of like the Blood Angels, or Space Wolves, and the fact that they were my example is making me cut off, right here. ;)

This actualy the reason why one of my homebrew chapters (The Worldbreakers) don't get along with the iron hands. They see the space marines as the holy weapon made by the Emperor to slay his foes. And here you have these ingrates replacing their flesh bits with tech like a common ork. Only the fact that the 'Hands are first founding has stopped the World breakers from coming to blows with them.