New Heroes - PoD?

By Cejel, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

I have seen the news and postings about the new heroes. I have also seen some references to PoD, which I assume means Print On Demand (yes/no?) I'm admitting my confusion and am looking for some help.

So..... are the new hero expansions actual cards that are packaged in a little box? Or do you get some kind of reference code and a link to print your own cards? I'm hoping the former and not the latter. (It's also possible that I really don't understand PoD)

Does anyone actually have the new exp in their hands? What is the format? Cards or Codes? And if someone could explain PoD that would be great. Thanks.

Pod or print on demand is basically small print runs of cards at a time. You still get a physical product, but FFG does not risk as much producing them.

Unfortunately for anyone not in North America buying these direct from FFG will be costly :( due to shipping costs. Suppose if I did these and the SW adversary cards at the same time.

That's a good explanation. Thanks. I always find it interesting how not being familiar with a certain term can lead to various interpretations.

Does that mean they will be distributed only by FFG and not other retailers, like Amazon?

Edited by Cejel

They will eventually hit retailers, they will just be slow to do so. If you're in the US I'd just order them from FFG now. It's $16 shipped for the pair. If you're outside the US it's time for a little patience and persistence. Ask your retailer now, and keep checking in because I don't think there is a consistent time frame on these reaching other countries.

Frankly, US $16 for 28 cards seems ridiculously high. I can't imagine what insane prices those outside North America must be facing.

Still, I paid it. :P

19,68$ shipping costs for germany, I'll pass at the moment.

Somebody at bgg suggested to split those costs for europe and to order those packs with many people but I think that those packs will eventually arrive at some point at the retailers in europe.

I can wait, I recently bought 2 other board games and 3 expansions and if a retailer orders at least 10 of each pack, this would be 31,48$ shipping costs(just checked it), a little bit more than 1$ per pack.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the characters yet?

Would you recommend picking them up?

I'm relatively new to the game, but would be more than happy with some extra content.

I got them last week and played with them twice on Saturday. Very pleased with the purchase. They bring a different dynamic to the play style.

I was just looking on coolstuff for Descent lieutenants and noticed that both of the WHQ character packs are in stock for around $4 each.

Damned!! The shipping fees to Europe is scandalous!!! To reduce the cost per product, I need to buy the POD for WFRP3 too, but there, it will be the custom fees that will be scandalous too (+20%)!!! I don't know where to buy these POD in Europe for a fair price...

I'm afraid you just have to be patient, they will come to Europe, but it does take extra time.

That's is the most reasonable delivery price to the EU from the US I've ever seen!

Knowing Ireland though they'll be stingy and hold it and charge me the €2 customs on it.

Ordered anyway :)

I have just received the cards and, honestly, I am bit disappointed by the printing quality. The images seem too dark and the quality not good like in Descent POD quest. :(

I hope for the next heroes FFG will make a "serious" expansion (including new quests, monsters and locations) and take reponsability for the printing. ;)

Just received mine there yesterday.

I'd also have to agree about the card quality being pretty bad.

They mention on their site that they aren't linen finished, which they aren't and that's fine because it was expected.

But the cut edges are very rough, almost as if they were cut with a blunt edge. Some of the edges aren't straight either.

The card stock is also a completely different colour to the others so they stand out like a sore thumb in the box.

These POD cards really wouldn't work for any card that would need to be shuffled in with the core game's cards; but at least these ones don't need to.

Haven't gotten to play with the heroes just yet, but said I'd leave my comments about the card quality as well.

So I got mine.

Not played yet but verdict on quality:

Cutting roughness: Mine are only slightly rough and certainly not more than any other POD I have had. No problem for me.

Darkness: Trollslayer is a little dark, Witchhunter is fine.

Print Quality: Spot on

Paper/card quality: Spot on as other POD packs

Image centering: Slightly off (this is the main gripe for me but still not huge) as the card backs have a frame border you can see the printing is off on some more than others, just not fully centred. Had the image been without border (eg like LotR LCG backs) I doubt it would be noticable, but as the little rope-like frame is there, it shows up how some are in a different place to others. As they are not shuffled cards this does not matter really, but thats my only gripe.

Edited by alexbobspoons