Foreboding Psychic Power to Jink Vehicle

By eltom13, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

When driving a vehicle to evade incoming attacks a driver can try a Jink Reaction (instead of a dodge; see core rule book on page 252).

On page 250 under Driving A Vehicle it is written, that simple ground vehicles could be used by a character without the proper Operate skill.

Now the psychic power Foreboding states that it can be used in (and I quote) any situation where the psyker would be called upon to make an Evasion test .

Should a psyker be able to use Foreboding instead of a Jink Reaction ? A nd if yes, even if he does not posses the appropriate Operate skill?

I would appreciate your opinions!

I would say yes to that, with the adage that the Psyker requires the Operate Skill. The Psychic Power speaks to an ability to vaguely perceive threats before they happen and move out of the way as if by miracle. Now, in a vehicle, you would actually need to have a basic understanding of how far you can actually turn before it tips over/stalls/flips/etc. thus requiring some knowledge of how to operate said vehicle.

Thanks for the reply! That's how I would have handled it intuitively.

I would still allow Foreboding without the Operate skill, but at the same penalty I would apply to any other maneuvers that I was inflicting for not having the Operate skill (which I'd rule, at the very least, -20 for being non-proficient in Operate). If he's in any way a decent Psyker and he doesn't have Operate as a Known Skill, his Perception (even at -10 for using Foreboding) will probably be better than rolling against Operate. With additional penalties, he's still going to be a little better, but not a lot. I'd allow it. Consider:

- The Psyker has an advantage for being able to see the future.

- He can't drive that well; he can turn the ignition and hit the gas and the turny thing makes the wheely-box go the way he points it.

- If he knows that the shooty thing will hit to the left, he can turn to the right to try and avoid it...he's just not good at it when the wheely-box is going Throne-knows-how-fast-and-they're-shooting-at-me-and-i'm-scared-and-can't-focus-on-my-Powers-right-now-AAAAAAAAARRRRGH WHY AM I DRIVING!!

- If he didn't have psychic powers, he'd be even worse at avoiding that hit to the left, because he wouldn't see it coming and drive straight into it.

Thank you very much for the colourful assessment, Jolly P :) !