Exhausting "Refresh Actions" due to other card effect?

By cjanselm, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

I feel I must be missing something really obvious, because I can't find this question anywhere on this forum yet, but its been bugging me every game I've played. So if this is already answered somewhere else (possibly in the rule book!) please let me know!

There are various card effects that either require you to exhaust an action or give you the option to exhaust an action. What happens if, due to that effect, the action exhausted is the characters refresh action? Since they are not using the action they don't get to follow the results of the action listed on the card -- including the "refresh all actions" text. That card is now exhausted, and as it isn't available as an action, it can't be refreshed. It seems like the character would be "stuck" with out anyway to refresh their actions.

Again, am I missing something? I've just played by always selecting a different action to exhaust if possible, but a few times I've already exhausted the other three actions, then had an enemy card say I needed to exhaust an action and been left perplexed what to do now that all the actions were exhausted without the refresh.

Thanks! If I missing something blindingly obvious, point it out kindly :)

From the Prepare Icon section of the rules:

The action card with the prepare icon only exhausts when chosen as the action card for a hero’s activation; other effects cannot exhaust this card

Also, the "refresh" action card never physically exhausts. You never "tap" it. Now this can mean that a player with their three regular actions exhausted can be stuck not being able to use certain gear and item cards.

Also, the "refresh" action card never physically exhausts. You never "tap" it. Now this can mean that a player with their three regular actions exhausted can be stuck not being able to use certain gear and item cards.

False. Under "Actions" in RRG:

"Steps of an Action

1. Choose Action: The hero chooses and exhausts one action card

from among his readied action cards. Then, he performs that

action."

And under step 6:

"• After a hero performs an action that has a prepare icon, he

readies all four of his action cards." (p. 4)

Page 9: "The action card with the prepare icon only exhausts when chosen

as the action card for a hero’s activation; other eff ects cannot

exhaust this card."

Thank you for the clarification. All I can say is that my group must have subtly house ruled the "non tapping" into our play.

This is a good argument for perusing rulebooks now and again, even if you think you know the game.

The important sentence is the third one, stating that a refresh action can only be exhausted as a heroes' activation, reinforcing the idea that you can't mistakenly exhaust it for other things, and leave yourself without actions until somebody aids you.

Truthfully, I'm not sure where and when it might make a difference whether you exhaust your Prepare action or not during its resolution, since you can't exhaust it for any other reason other than actually doing the action, so in terms of gameplay, keeping it "untapped" entire game, does it change anything (as long as you announce when using the action).

There may well be future events that take effect whenever an action card is exhausted. You might not be able to exhaust the card for any other reason, but the fact that it does indeed exhaust may prove to be a significant distinction at some point. Such things come up a lot in LotR LCG at least.