Commisariat Operative, how much of a Commisar does it make you?

By Brence, in Dark Heresy

Well, I want to play a Chaliced Commisariat Operative, what I wonder howevr is how much alike it is to the Commisar character from 40k? I know the principle idea is the same, but how would other Guard treat them? Are they the dirty snitches and backstabbers within their regiments or are they actually some kind of authority or higher class?

God Im looking Enemy at the Gates in the mean time and man does that opening of the movie rock and give a great visualisation of how a Commisar would act on the battle lines :D

A Chaliced Commissariat is, essentially, a commissar who isn't attached to any partigular IG or PDF regiment. The organisation is primarily concerned with the PDF but, as the Feared and Loathed trait shows, the Imperial Guard have the same reaction to them. While they are functionally very similar to a regular commissar once they're on the ground their authority doesn't come from the Imperial Commissariat and it's backing by the rest of the adepti, but from Sector Lord Hax. Being endorsed by the man who runs the Calixis sector gives them a huge amount of authority, though true Imperial organisations might not take kindly to the CC. Two examples of this are the Adeptus Arbites, who believe the organisation borders on unlawful, and the Tranch incident, where the senior Imperial Commissar decreed that executions carried out by the CC were murder and had every operative on the planet shot for treason. After this the CC are generally kept from operating in any warzone by the true Commissariat.

Please note that I'm just parroting information from the Inquisitor's Handbook pages for this alternate career rank.

They are the Governor's way of taking more control and influence into the IG/PDF forces in his sector, but are not official as far as the Munitorum believe. Therefore they are more like inspector generals who travel from unit to unit and regiment to regiment to make sure all is spiffy according to Hax's plans and agendas.

I would rule that they have full authority on par with a commissar for native forces of Calixis origin but not as far as the commassariate is concerned. The Tranch incident didnt bode too well for them, but that was one senior commissar taking action. In other units they would still retain those rights I would assume. As long as they are on proper authority of Lord Hax.

Commissar Chambers you are to report to the planet Dusk and link up with Captain Pang of the 7th Dusk Ranger Guard. You are to use full gubenatorial authority of Lord Hax to root out ill discipline and disloyal actions amongst its troopers. Summary Execution is authorized.

I have a PC that wanted to run one and I was able to work it into our campaign.

I haven't got all of the meat of it yet, but this is how I run and view the CC.

They operate as an Intelligence service for the Sector Governor. Due to the Tranch Incident they are limited to non-active War zones and thier authority is limited to PDF and non-active IGunits. This doesn't mean they are completely helpless. They have all of the authority of a real Commissar and thier limitations. They are not in the Chain-of-Command of units, but can execute soldiers.

They operate in a heirarchy system with it's internal CoC. They are all equal to one and other, but depending on what office you hold and what that means would determine the authority you have over the other CC's. Sort of like the U.S. Congress. When they go out into the field they may be assigned to a unit or sent out as a independent group with one of their number being the Officer In Charge (OIC). How and what they do would be determined by the mission they are on and what the OIC decides.

With exeption of heavy vehicles and armed regiments, they have everything they need to operate indepently from the rest of the Imperium. This includes administrative, medical, supply, forensics and investgative staffs. Thay usually operate as loners or up to groups of 25.

They are extremely secrective and suspicious of everyone and therefore **** near hard to infilltrate. There is no know pattern to thier recruitment styles as theycome from all walks of life. My PC's found a man that was recruited and before he shipped off, killed him and replaced him with one of thier own.

I modled them after the German SS and KGB if that helps.

I'm still fleshing it out, but so long as the Commissariat or anybody else doesn't mind they have free reign on a planet. This is especially true on the capital planet where they enjoy equal footing with the rest of the Imperial Agencies

They are very similar to the East German Stasi secret police. While they are feared and powerful amongst East Germany (Calixis Sector) they have no real sway or authority when it comes to the KGB/GRU out of Moscow (Terra).

Got my Char finished today, the way I discussed it with my GM is like, the higher your IG rank the higher you end up in the food chain...Like as a Sergant I can basicly judge and observe/kill and execute anything Sergant or below, however someone higher up the chain of command would not be mine to judge.

On to my character :D I found this amazing model from FORGE WORLD's Death Korps Commisars:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l146/Gravus/commissar13.jpg

I actually had the idea that my char would indeed wear the gas mask all the time (bought one for him) just as a precaution...Some healthy paranoia. Also upgraded his "Standard" sword to a Mono Sword just for that cinematic effect...Like a badge of office. Then with a few 100 more XP he'll be using an Electro Flail.