Warhammer Quest 2e = WFRP 4e?

By Richardbuxton, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

So a couple of weeks ago Games Workshop announced a new Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower board game. The original WQ is what actually got me into RPG's, the advancement system was simple but it planted the seed of adventuring. I had always dismissed a 4e version of WFRPG since Age of Sigmar began, thinking the broken world was not a place for adventures and discovery. But this new game raises the question of weather adventuring can still occur in such a broken world. i have no idea what it would look like, i assume a much more "High Fantasy" than we are used to with WFRPG, lots of magic and magic items, lots of killing, but what about all the other social/political adventuring type stuff. I still think its too soon since 3e for this to be a thing, but i do hold hope, we may even one day get that long sought after book devoted to pointy ears.

Thoughts? Will others be getting this? It seems like they made some cool miniatures for W:AoS then added rules for a dungeon crawl to me.

$265 (US) whoa, that's a little much even though it looks interesting. I know GW likes to keep it pricey but that's too rich for this ratcatcher.

Yeah i try to ignore their costs these days! the miniatures are super detailed and thats basically what the price of this game is, the miniatures.

Well done GW. Another money making farce that is totally out of touch with what fans of the game would want. 265 US dollars for a boardgame with some miniatures which are essentially tokens? For a little extra outlay you can get an entire games console. At least the original had plastic miniatures to keep the costs down. If there isn't a cheaper option then shame, shame on them. I certainly won't be shelling out for this.

thats basically what the price of this game is, the miniatures.

Bollocks.

Games Workshop have been screwing their player base over since the year dot. If you want really finely cast high detail miniatures you can check out what forge world are making. Now that's high quality.

I don't know what the hell a WFRP would look like in this new universe but I doubt I'd be interested in it. The first two wfrp editions were great because of the background, the third made the rules more fun, WFRP4 in that setting would be a different game. One I don't want to play.

thats basically what the price of this game is, the miniatures.

Bollocks.

Games Workshop have been screwing their player base over since the year dot. If you want really finely cast high detail miniatures you can check out what forge world are making. Now that's high quality.

I don't know what the hell a WFRP would look like in this new universe but I doubt I'd be interested in it. The first two wfrp editions were great because of the background, the third made the rules more fun, WFRP4 in that setting would be a different game. One I don't want to play.

I hear you, more what I was trying to say was that for not much less money you can get an army box for W:AoS with roughly the same number of miniatures. The detail and quality is amongst the top, but Forge World is definitely better I'm not arguing that.

Sorry, I get a bit cranky whenever I think about it. They are moving more and more towards these one box games and I think they're just saying whatever they want for the sake of sales.

I need to stop talking now. I do not need to start a rant.

I should mention I hate AoS and don't intend to get any. Original WQ with all the expansions still has a pride of place on my games shelf and the kids and I play regularly. This looks nice, but way too expensive I agree, rant on!

Apparently you can get it with 105€ from Finland. What the hell is going on? :D

Saw the game for 1000 SEK at a store here in Sweden yesterday, so about $120 or 105€.

I already own a lot of Descent stuff though, and I feel that this game is too similar to be interesting.

Age of Sigmar fucken rules! It's brilliant, probably the best thing Games Workshop have ever done, period.

O sorry about that. I seemed to have been possessed momentarily by an evil spirit belonging to a GW employee. Apologies.

Down with AoS and all that!

Age of Sigmar fucken rules! It's brilliant, probably the best thing Games Workshop have ever done, period.

O sorry about that. I seemed to have been possessed momentarily by an evil spirit belonging to a GW employee. Apologies.

Down with AoS and all that!

i have not even bothered to read reviews or anything of AoS, so a serious critique would actually be appreciated, i find the new setting intriguing if nothing else. I assume the gameplay is good and the biggest problem is the price of entry? those army books are steep! let alone the miniatures.

Edited by Richardbuxton