Jon Snow & Robb Stark with Mirror Match Stark

By Rick IsLitFam, in Rules Questions

Hello everyone,

A very interesting question arose today, and we need 100% clarity. If I am playing a Stark mirror match and I use Jon Snow's ability while Robb is on my side of the table so all my characters stand, do I have to stand one of my opponent's Stark characters to satisfy Jon Snow's action? What we are hearing is: Jon Snow sacrifices, Robb's ability initiates befofe Jon's ability ends so all characters stand, now there are no Stark characters to stand on my side, now I must stand one of my opponent's Stark characters. Is this true?

Yes.

Yes. A card cannot be targeted by an ability if the ability couldn't affect it.

A card is not an eligible target for an ability if the resolution of that ability's effect could not affect the target at all. (For example, a kneeling character cannot be chosen as the target for an effect that reads, “choose and kneel a character.”)

More to the point, once you initiate an ability, you have to resolve as much of it as you can. You don't get to stop after paying the cost just because the outcome is no longer to your liking.

Since Jon does not limit target choices to characters you control, and you have to choose an eligible target after paying costs, if the only eligible targets - as Khudzlin correctly defines - belong to your opponent, I hope he at least thanks you.