Tantive IV scale upgrade

By GS_Topcow, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

love X-wing, one of the key things that drew me into the game was the fact that so much of it was scaled appropriately and that for the frist time in many years of hobbying and fandom, the ships felt that they existed in the same universe.

This changed dramatically when the epic scale ships were included into the game, the awesome expansion of the gr 35 was marred by the fact that the ship was not in scale, although the mechanics worked brilliantly and the model itself was beautiful, this followed suit in the Tantive IV expansion, as well as the imperial Raider.

So far the only epic gameplay mini in scale is the Gozanti (as far as can tell)

Now, the gr 35 might require some more talented modelling than what I have to fix it, but there’s an option for the tantive IV, the 1996 Kenner Star Wars Collector Fleet Electronic Rebel Blockade Runner.

I’ve held it and I think it looks right on scale with the X-wings, it might need a little modelling work and painting to put it up to scratch with the quality of the FFG mini, but with little work it can be set on the official XWTMG base to make it work with the mechanics.

How do you guys feel about this? Do you think it’s a doable project?

isnt the transport a "medium" transport, i.e. a hell of a lot smaller than what we saw in the movie and what Armada got? The Armada one is considerably bigger than the CR90 or the Raider.

I don't think Armada tries to scale its ships together at all.

The GR75 is 90m long -> 33,3 cm in 1/270. as long as the current modell of the CR90

CR90: 150m -> 55,56cm

Boomer J has a post for a scratch built CR90 and he has a nebulon B in progress. They are big ships. Even on a 6'x3' they will be more of a center piece that the action takes place around with the laser batteries interacting with the fighters.

I have the desire for some mild 1/270 scale capitol ship action, but to do it justice I think a conference room or gym would be needed. The way I envision it, each ship would be attached to a table (on locking casters). The fighter squadrons could "boost" from one capitol ship to another and engage other fighters or the capitol ships. If two tables came into contact, then the big ships could fight each other.

The Action 4s are almost as big as the corvettes and could be used as imperial convoys or scum pirate ships. Someone did a sketchup of an Imperial class SD to show the scale and I think they clock in around 7 feet long (that may have been 1/350). With MDF, sheet styrene, and smart construction one could be built and transported in sections.

Edited by IronOx

The only thing I can recall about them concerning scale was the corvette in X-Wing: Wraith Squadron , which was modified to have the area beneath the bridge converted into a hanger. They were able to fit nine tightly-packed X-Wings in the hanger. Not sure if that's accurate, or if the author was taking liberties with the scale, but it'd be cool to see! :D

The only thing I can recall about them concerning scale was the corvette in X-Wing: Wraith Squadron , which was modified to have the area beneath the bridge converted into a hanger. They were able to fit nine tightly-packed X-Wings in the hanger. Not sure if that's accurate, or if the author was taking liberties with the scale, but it'd be cool to see! :D

IIRC, the Night Caller was a subtype CR90 custom built as a pocket carrier and it was mentioned in the book that the head was slightly larger then a standard CR90 as well as having a deck removed (between the bridge and hanger) to make room.

Edited by Salted Diamond

IIRC, the Night Caller was a subtype CR90 custom built as a pocket carrier and it was mentioned in the book that the head was slightly larger then a standard CR90 as well as having a deck removed (between the bridge and hanger) to make room.

I remember the part about the deck being removed, but not about the larger head. Guess now I have a good excuse to go re-read the series again!

Hm...I know it wouldn't really work for the scale of X-Wing, but I wonder how feasible it would be to implement a "Loran Spitball" in Armada...

They were able to cram 3 X wings per tie spot becuase the x wing uses a lot less vertical room. So it was a 1 deep 3x3 wall of X wings under that chin of a CR90. That gives it a lot og 3 dice attacks from the front arc...

They were able to cram 3 X wings per tie spot becuase the x wing uses a lot less vertical room. So it was a 1 deep 3x3 wall of X wings under that chin of a CR90. That gives it a lot og 3 dice attacks from the front arc...

Actually the Loran Spitball was a torpedo attack, so 9X4=36 red dice :lol: