Bounty Hunter and Full Plate or Dragonscale Shirt

By Osbo25, in Talisman Rules Questions

Rather than hijacking the discussion about rating the Bounty Hunter from the main forum, I am putting these thoughts here.

In case you aren't aware of this powerful combo (which I actually wasn't until I read the other conversation a few minutes ago), the Bounty Hunter can become virtually unstoppable in battle or psychic combat under the right circumstances. Here it is:

The Bounty Hunter has this special ability: "If you have a stand-off during battle or psychic combat, you win the attack instead."

The Full Plate does this for a character: "If you are defeated in battle, roll 1 die [...] 4-6) You do not lose the battle; it is considered a stand-off instead."

So right there, if the Bounty Hunter loses a battle but then rolls a 4-6 for a save with the Full Plate, the battle that he previously lost he now wins because it is considered a stand-off.

The Dragonscale Shirt from the Varthrax (red) deck in the Dragon expansion does this for a character: "If you are defeated in battle or psychic combat, you may discard one of your dragon scales. If you choose to do so, the attack is considered a stand-off instead."

So at this point, if the Bounty Hunter has the Dragonscale Shirt and dragon scales, he will win every single battle AND psychic combat that he engages in.

As described in the other conversation, this is a broken combo.

The Bounty Hunter's special ability should have the caveat included that that special ability may not be used if armor was used to cause the stand-off.

In theory yes.. But other players need to grab that Dragonscale Shirt ASAP.

Please let me be the thief (probably the only time I wish that) if the bounty hunter gains amulet and dragonscale shirt.

You forgot the Aegis, which is the best of all and can be grabbed more reliably than the Dragonscale Shirt.

I don't have any problem with this combo myself, takes time to get it. Working as intended as far as I'm concerned.

You forgot the Aegis, which is the best of all and can be grabbed more reliably than the Dragonscale Shirt.

I don't have any problem with this combo myself, takes time to get it. Working as intended as far as I'm concerned.

I don't agree that this is what was intended. The armors were created to prevent a character from losing a life. The suped-up armors were created to prevent characters from losing fights (which can have negative effects apart from losing a life).

The suped-up armors were not created to make one character invincible in fights.

And, logically thinking, armor doesn't do that. Armor protects. It doesn't attack. Armor prevents life from being taken. It doesn't take life. Sure, there are some modifications that can be made to certain pieces of armor to were that can also be used as weapons, but that is still not their primary purpose. And that's certainly not their purpose in Talisman.

No, the Bounty Hunter's special ability should not apply when using armor.

Sorry but his ability does work with Aegis etc.

Ask the question over on the Board Game Geek Talisman forums, Sam will most likely confirm this for you!

Ask the question over on the Board Game Geek Talisman forums, Sam will most likely confirm this for you!

Yes, I think we all agree on that but still it's quite strange logically thinking and it's a good house rule to make a godlike character more human. He would still be one of the better anyway.

But, as far as the rules go, it's the crrect way to play him.

There is still heaps of things players can do if this comes up. Its a massive power creep during play :) .

No one ever said it DOESN'T work. I'm saying it SHOULDN'T work.

A lot of players are not concerned about this since most do not use the Dragon expansion. As hard and unlikely as it is to have this come up I am not opposed to keeping it. This is nothing like the Alchemist or Arnkell gameplan; they are far more likely to happen than this...

So at this point, if the Bounty Hunter has the Dragonscale Shirt and dragon scales, he will win every single battle AND psychic combat that he engages in.

Stuff like this was one of the reasons why I have moved away from Talisman.

A lot of players are not concerned about this since most do not use the Dragon expansion. As hard and unlikely as it is to have this come up I am not opposed to keeping it. This is nothing like the Alchemist or Arnkell gameplan; they are far more likely to happen than this...

I played the Bounty Hunter in the D.E. today. I deliberately worked toward getting the Full Plate. By the time I took one from another player I was already strong enough that I wasn't going to lose a battle anyway. And by the time I went off to defeat the Lord of Darkness in order to get the Aegis, the Craft 17 combo sitting on the Ruins had been done away with by the Goblin Sapper.

In fact, the only time that it did come into play was when I beat the other character in the battle where I took the Full Plate. I defeated that character, who rolled to save on the Full Plate. That character rolled a 5, which resulted in a stand off, which resulted in me winning anyway. So the only time that it came into effect was when another character used it.

So really, it was a non-factor in the game.

Well one game clearly represents every game of talisman that has been and ever will be played after all

Edited by Joker2016

I played the Bounty Hunter in the D.E. today. I deliberately worked toward getting the Full Plate. By the time I took one from another player I was already strong enough that I wasn't going to lose a battle anyway. And by the time I went off to defeat the Lord of Darkness in order to get the Aegis, the Craft 17 combo sitting on the Ruins had been done away with by the Goblin Sapper.

In fact, the only time that it did come into play was when I beat the other character in the battle where I took the Full Plate. I defeated that character, who rolled to save on the Full Plate. That character rolled a 5, which resulted in a stand off, which resulted in me winning anyway. So the only time that it came into effect was when another character used it.

So really, it was a non-factor in the game.

I played the bounty hunter in digital and died before I got to the Eagle King... Fantastic rolls! :-)

Stuff like this was one of the reasons why I have moved away from Talisman.

If you still play Talisman in real life and you accept house rules, this is my "fixed" Bounty Hunter.

MY BOUNTY HUNTER

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Bounty-Hunter-Fronte-Scheda.jpg

A particular attention to the third ability :)

Edited by Filippo

Well, Bounty Hunter a 1-8 record in 9 appearances, don't think he needs much weakening. Last game he got the Full Plate early, then proceeded to draw nothing but Craft Enemies that killed him. Money well spent on Full Plate...

@ Filippo: Can't see nothing, requires logging/registering.

If a Strenght-character draws only craft enemies, of course he is weak... this is the only weakness of Bounty hunter! Do you want a stand-off even for psychic combat? Godlike Hunter.

He can have a lot of gold, steal your precious trophies, replenish 2 fate to the graveyard, 5 stenght, stand-off bugs...
OP character 10/10

This is my version of Bounty Hunter

38976adc119ff8a48b47fc531acf993e.jpg

If a Strenght-character draws only craft enemies, of course he is weak... this is the only weakness of Bounty hunter! Do you want a stand-off even for psychic combat? Godlike Hunter.

He can have a lot of gold, steal your precious trophies, replenish 2 fate to the graveyard, 5 stenght, stand-off bugs...
OP character 10/10

This is my version of Bounty Hunter

38976adc119ff8a48b47fc531acf993e.jpg

sorry for the double post

Edited by Filippo

That's a much better version, and I would even say that is what was intended when he was designed. Not to win by using armor