Hidden Realms mini-expansion

By Bludgeon, in Talisman Home Brews

What is it about: No corner boards are accessible at the beginning of the game. They may, or may not, appear during the game.

Why: To save space at the table, to make certain broken combos, alchemist, or obvious strategies not so easy to pull off. To add some uniqueness to each game.

Preparation:

- Make sure cards like Dungeon Entrance, Mountain Trail etc, are in the deck.

- Print four new denizens and add them to the denizen deck. Those new cards will be the most accessible way to reach expansion boards.

Rules:

- Characters can't enter expansion boards unless an effect allows or forces them to do so.

- Once on a corner board, characters can't exit via the entrance (with the exception of the City, see below). The only way out is to teleport out or finish the region.

- While in the City, characters may leave the City as per normal rules.

- Terrain cards can't be put over Treasure Chamber, Meeting with Destiny, or Eyrie.

denizens_zpsx6zwabdl.png

Me and the wife did a game like this, it was enjoyable. Corner boards were only introduced when we pulled either an entrance or faerie trod/ dark denizens expansion specific type events. Keeping with the theme of a post apocalyptic lost world we played using only the reaper and the harbinger ending that has the beast on the CoC (forget the name right now). It really adds to the sense of adventure to have to "unlock" expansions as it were.

Edited by Joker2016

You may want to make these denizens the kind that move to their appropriate space after being encountered rather than discarded. Also I think it a bit rough to force someone to stay in an expansion, I'd the maybe you can exit realms normally but not enter normally.

I agree with Joker here, definitely have the cards go their appropriate space where the denizen remains so anyone can visit them and pay 1 gold for them "to show them the path" to the new region. I also agree making the person have to stay in the region is rough. I think once the board is there, treat it as normal.

I really do like this concept to add the boards to the game and maybe there is some way Uvatha can incorporate this idea into his forever talisman.... ;-)

I agree with Joker here, definitely have the cards go their appropriate space where the denizen remains so anyone can visit them

Thanks, I will add that.

pay 1 gold for them "to show them the path" to the new region.

I'm not sure that is necessary. I gave this effect to City denizen because it fits thematically and also makes shopping in the City a little less overpowered compared to rest of the game.

making the person have to stay in the region is rough

I want it to be rough, I want corner boards (except city) to feel like a dangerous adventure. I want players to consider carefully before they enter the dungeon, the woodland, and even the highland.

Corrected versions

den2_zps1nr2kdlw.png

An update, why not have those denizens something a little extra:

den3_zpsbbdkfegb.png

ekwipunek1_zps6hxkpddm.png

EDIT: Found an error. City Map is supposed to work only when you start your turn in the City.

Edited by Bludgeon

After playtesting those three times, I'm removing the rule that you cannot leave via the entrance. Cataclysm board is harder than original board anyway, and this rule added even more danger which I feel was a little too much (caused a death too early in the game).

Of the new equipment we tested the spyglass and it was fairly useful.

Edited by Bludgeon