What to buy?

By galonso, in Game Masters

Hey now!

I just got into the game and purchased the 3 core books, all 3 beginner sets, and the 3 NPC decks.

As the GM, I am considering buying everything else (sans the class decks) in order to have full access to what the game has to offer. Is this worth it or should I stick to a particular line? I know they are cross compatible. Does anyone else own everything? Which books are must haves that I do not own? Thank you

Edited by galonso

Well I own nearly everything. If you're a collector, pretty much everything. If you have anything particular in mind, then, well, it depends. If you're just building a game to begin with, start with maybe the area books (Suns of Fortune, Lords of Nal Hutta, Strongholds of Resistance, and Nexus of Power), as they offer some world building tips if you aren't overly familiar with Star Wars lore beyond the movies. Buy the career books as the players need them, probably. Adventure modules can be bought at anytime they are needed.

Some of the career books offer valuable tips on building specific kinds of campaigns, and extra rules to help that along (homestead and social rules in Far Horizons, expansive crafting in Special Modifications, etc.). So if you think a specific kind of campaign is really appealing, then get that book.

But really, recommendations depend entirely on what you're planning on.

I've got all the books. If you've got the cash go for it, but if that's a little daunting you could just confine yourself to the careers your PCs choose for now in regards to the career books. Read the write ups on the sourcebooks, you likely don't need them all at once.

Are you the GM or the player? If a player, start with the career you are most interested.

If you are GM, do you run published adventures? If so, maybe a published adventure of the flavor you are looking for (AoR, EotE, or F&D). If you are running all 3, EotE seems to be the most neutral of the 3 lines. If you are not prone to run published adventures, then I love the area sourcebooks, but they generall run an extra $10 USD more than the career books.

I have them all, and pick and choose between them freely for my games. I expect I will get use out of every one of them for a good long while.

If I had to pick just one sourcebook though it would be Far Horizons. It's not because of the species or the equipment or the career specs, it's because it's only book that gives some depth to running social encounters, and explores many of the social talents that otherwise might take a lot of experience to run well. This is especially useful if you're a new GM, or coming from a combat-heavy/non-social RPG like D&D. The group I play with has never really run social encounters until now, and greeted the first session with some eye-rolling and the expectation of a boring time. By the end of the session they'd completely changed their opinion. So it's well worth the effort to mix things up, and Far Horizons, along with several of the adventure modules, are good resources for doing that.

To answer some of the comments:

Yes, I am a collector but the initial investment is a beating. Product availability is worrisome and I suffer from a self imposed and unwarranted sense of urgency.

Most likely Ill be the GM and will start with the beginner sets, move to published adventures, and then create my own.

My group consists of two new to role playing, one D&D veteran, and myself (gamer since 1983).

What I am hearing is all the books have value. None are duds.

To add to all the great advice you're getting so far... don't forget to grab up the free stuff as well! Be sure to download the three free adventures from FFG that continue the beginner boxed sets. Apart from those three free adventures, you can search the webs and find other free adventures as well. Other than that, I've found the GM kits and screens handy so maybe get one of them depending on what setting you run.

And check this out... Compiled Resource List

Edited by SemperSarge

BUY ALL THE THINGS!!! ;)

Hey now!

I just got into the game and purchased the 3 core books, all 3 beginner sets, and the 3 NPC decks.

As the GM, I am considering buying everything else (sans the class decks) in order to have full access to what the game has to offer. Is this worth it or should I stick to a particular line? I know they are cross compatible. Does anyone else own everything? Which books are must haves that I do not own. Thank you

PFFFFT!!!

Like ya need to ask? :lol:

On a serious note... I wasn't going to bother with AoR at first, but after looking through the splatbooks/adventures there's always something a GM can use.

If you want a good mix of player, GM, beginner, and experienced player resources, check out the REBELS sourcebooks/adventures from Rancor Publishing Group !

If you want a good mix of player, GM, beginner, and experienced player resources, check out the REBELS sourcebooks/adventures from Rancor Publishing Group !

Of course, that’s not something you can buy. But you can download the free PDF!

Back quite a few years ago, my friend was GMing a 3.5 D&D game. He had the largest collection of books I've ever seen. His secret?

"You are welcome to have any published power/feat/class/spell, just so long as I have a copy of the book that it comes from."

Helped that he ran for some players that had decent jobs, and had about 9 player cycling in and out of the sessions.

I am now poor. Bought it all.

With my group, all the purchasing falls on my shoulders or there is no game.

Edited by galonso

I am now poor. Bought it all.

You are in an abusive relationship, get help. ;-)

Though you have all those shiney books now, you properly are going to be fine with them. ^-^

Edited by SEApocalypse

I can relate. Most of my players don't even own any dice. Fortunately, I have plenty.

I have the same, even with D&D. Most of my friends are still referencing tattered photocopies of Chivalry and Sorcery from 1983...and they *still* don't know the rules!

We played for the first time this Sunday! Wow, we had a great time. I ran the Beginner EoTE adventure but with all the core book rules in play. I ported the beginner sheets to the real core rules with some small adjustments. We made it to the last encounter in one session of about 3 hours. Can't wait to play again. I'm glad I made the decision to buy everything. The specialization decks.... not so sure....

For your campaign, figure out where you are going to go, and be doing. No point in getting the Hutt book, or corellian book if you never are going to adventure there. (unless you have a character from the Corellian sector, or Hutt space) Nor am I going to be buying any of the F&D books beyond the core book and Nexus of Power cause I am not going to run that type of game any time in the future.

For me I have had the most mileage out of Beyond the Rim, and the adventure "debts to pay" was one of my favorites. The rest depends on your Players and their characters mainly for the carrer books.

Jewel of Yavin is more then just an adventure, it is an incredible resource if you are ever going to Cloud City. Not so much IMHO the "assault at arda" and "Mask of the pirate queen"

I have also gotten copies of the old West End games books, specifically "Black sands of Socorro" and "Galaxy guide #6 : tramp freighters". Both were bought specifically for campaigns

Look at getting the GM screens for all three settings. While the data on each is somewhat tuned for the particular setting, each kit also comes with a short module that can expand, somewhat, on the introductory modules in the back of each core rule book. The GM modules also come with tips for the setting, as well. For example, the EotE GM kit comes with ideas for making a Nemesis a true badass, or giving him/her/it a particular flavor. The F&D GM kit has some additional rules for lightsaber construction. Other than that, modules are going to be the biggies for a GM. There are 3-4 that I know of spread across the core settings, and each are somewhat adaptable to each other....you may just have to do a little homework to make 'Onslaught' work with a F&D campaign, or 'Chronicles' work for a EotE game.

As far as sourcebooks, thats up to you. There may be one that has a nifty story idea, or piece of gear, that you may want to pick up. As far as the players, just tell them "Hey, these sourcebooks have some awesome gear/races/abilities/talents, but I can't afford to get all of them. However, if you guys want to pick some up, go for it!" I have a couple of sourcebooks, and have the same mindset as R5D8's old GM. (Heck...I may have been his GM) "If I have a book, then use what you want...its in. If I don't have it but you do, bring it along, so I know what/how your skill, talent, or gear works."

The cards might be useful to the players, to help them keep talents organized, but I don't know how vital they would be for a GM. One thing you really will want to get...additional dice packs.