Chameleoline Cloak

By alemander, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

"If he remains stationary during his turn, Ballistic Skill test targeting him suffer a -30 penalty until the beginning of his next turn."

What is the definition of "stationary" here? Can they be in combat, fire a ranged weapon or swing a melee weapon, yet not move and gain the -30? Or does stationary mean that they must remain completely motionless (i.e. can not initiate nor dodge/parry attacks at all)?

~ alemander

I would assume it means no Movement tagged actions, myself.

I don,t see how you can be melee fighting without moving.

Yes, you move a little if you shoot, but that's somewhat very subtle in comparison to flailing an axe all around.

Because you don't need to 'flail all around' to get the job done? Could be stealth work with a stiletto as much as axe-dancing.

If you're doing stealth work with a stilleto, then the hit-modifier to enemies shooting you is moot anyway... since you're doing stealth work .

I can see by near RAW that "stationary" means can't take anything with the Movement subtype, but in common sense terms, not walking/running to the next hex but still dodging a sword or a hail of gunfire and then getting -30 for remaining "stationary" just doesn't compute.

~ alemander

I can see by near RAW that "stationary" means can't take anything with the Movement subtype, but in common sense terms, not walking/running to the next hex but still dodging a sword or a hail of gunfire and then getting -30 for remaining "stationary" just doesn't compute.

~ alemander

Could be a minor shift in movement. You're being cloaked afterall. Your opponents aren't 100% sure where you are, so maybe their aim is a tiny bit off, but still a threat, so you make a minor movement out of the way.

It may not apply for every single possible circumstance, but there's plenty of ways to justify moving without giving away your exact position.

After reading this again, I realized dodge/parry wouldn't matter in regards to this since the rules for the Cloak clearly says "... during his turn ...". The only thing to really consider is if firing a weapon or swing a melee weapon but not moving from one's hex constitutes "stationary", at least to me.

I am inclined to say a character could fire a single shot weapon and gain the -30 to opponents BS tests, but couldn't swing a weapon in melee nor fire a burst of any kind from a weapon.

~ alemander