Gozanti Scum Freighter - Need [Paint] Inspiration

By ianmiddy, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

So, just got my third Goz - #1 is my Imp Carrier, #2 my Scum Carrier [done the fighters, the carrier needs heavy weathering]...

...#3 is to be a scum/independent Freighter, so will cover the docking clamp ports, but not doing the wing-chop conversion because [a] too scared, can't easily get replacement engine nacelles & [c] want to keep the wing area for cargo.

I'm having real trouble finding ideas/inspiration for a paint scheme - don't want to do another Hutt ship [as GR-75 #2 will probably use that scheme], and all the Google searches I've tried for schemes (incl. terrestrial ones :o ) just result in greys with a bit of colour [usually orange or yellow].

I don't want anything too garish, but something that says "I'm not with the Imps or Rebs or Hutts" [or Black Sun]...and as my painting skills aren't that great, no flaming phoenix's, reptile scales or such-like :(

Any thoughts much appreciated !! ;)

Cheers...

You could do a weathered brown, with various "patching" colors like gray, blue, black, or yellow for an old freighter look. Or, if you want to make it look like an interstellar shipper, figure out a livery and logo you like- something dark green might work, none of the factions uses green as a main color.

...something dark green might work, none of the factions uses green as a main color.

Hmmm...just doing a multi-green G1-A - will see how that looks once weathered, and maybe look at something similar...thanks ;)

Building on Ikka's idea, you could leave it primarily grey, repaint some panels a different color to indicate repairs. To fade or bleach out the original color dry brush with an off white or very light grey oil paint. I suggest oils because they stay active a lot longer than acrylics or enamels and if you don't like the result a little odorless thinner on a swab takes care of that. The downside is they may need a week or more to 'dry' and require a clear lacquer over coat. To shorten the drying time place a dab on a piece of cardboard to soak up some of the oil.

You could also use 'filters' to subtly tint the color on panels. For ideas check out AMMO by MIG on YouTube. If you're not familiar with the term filter it's basically a very thin wash that is used to change the tone of an underlying color. Like adding a blue or green cast to grey.

The idea of an interstellar shipper is great! Opens up a lot of possibilities for color combos. It's only my opinion but I'd stay away from dark base colors. You'll darken the paint with weathering possibly making it too dark. For ideas look at commercial aircraft liveries. There are some pretty wild colors available. I think Braniff Airlines from the 60s and 70s used pinks and purples.

...leave it primarily grey, repaint some panels a different color to indicate repairs. To fade or bleach out the original color dry brush with an off white or very light grey oil paint...

...could also use 'filters' to subtly tint the color on panels....Like adding a blue or green cast to grey.

...ideas look at commercial aircraft liveries. There are some pretty wild colors available. I think Braniff Airlines from the 60s and 70s used pinks and purples.

Was going to try the first on my Scum Carrier - thanks for the tip re the oils and the filters - will have a look at that video ;)

Did look at some commercial airline pics for ideas, but mostly just current ones - good idea to go back a few decades and look at some of the older stuff for schemes - thanks! :)

when it comes to making things look darker and "dirtier" I rely heavily on a paint by Tamiya called Smoke.. it has a gloss varnish type consistency, so it will find the nooks and crannies and make them look very old and weathered. It looks great on metallic and also on grays and greens - think of it as a weathering wash and you won't go wrong - the more you dilute it, the less glossy it is. you may still want to finish with a Dullcote though. also works great on engine parts that you want to look oily and not terribly well maintained..

I appreciate this is a much larger scale model, but the dude here does some awesome weathering effects, and uses Smoke as a toner. Never thought to use it that way. Note, this is NOT my work:

http://www.modelmaking.guru/guru-blog/fine-molds-148-incom-t-47-snowspeeder-build

Edited by Odinson

when it comes to making things look darker and "dirtier" I rely heavily on a paint by Tamiya called Smoke

Quite like Tamiya as an alternative to Vallejo, so ordered some to try...thanks for the tip ;)

Another idea that may work due to the size of the Gozanti is using duct tape. Not the fabric type but the metal version that's used by furnace installers. Measure off panel sizes on the tape but before cutting them out rub the tape with fine steel wool to give it a machined or brushed look. Add the tape with the 'grain' going in different directions. Use filters to give the replacement panels a different hue.

...duct tape. Not the fabric type but the metal version that's used by furnace installers.

Will have a look into this - I checked the Ammo by MIG filters, but the cost seems a bit prohibitive in the UK :( [as usual]

Been looking at airline logos/paint-schemes and other logos/drawing until my head's swimming...got one or two ideas, but still nothing that makes me go <lightbulb> :wacko:

Cheers...

EDIT: Finally found somewhere on eBay that will sell 5m of the tape, rather than 50m! , so will give it a try when it arrives next week ;)

Edited by ianmiddy

...duct tape. Not the fabric type but the metal version that's used by furnace installers.

Will have a look into this - I checked the Ammo by MIG filters, but the cost seems a bit prohibitive in the UK :( [as usual]

Been looking at airline logos/paint-schemes and other logos/drawing until my head's swimming...got one or two ideas, but still nothing that makes me go <lightbulb> :wacko:

Cheers...

EDIT: Finally found somewhere on eBay that will sell 5m of the tape, rather than 50m! , so will give it a try when it arrives next week ;)

Another source for logos inspiration. Try looking up MATS and MACS. MATS is/was Military Air Transport Service and MACS was Cargo Service. There might be some nose art.

Also look at country's demonstration teams. The USA with the Thunderbirds and Blue angels but the UK, Italy also have them. Also try pictures of "Tiger Meet" aircraft. AC that partake in this exercise are all painted in some form of a big cat, primarily tigers.

Kid's toys specifically toy trucks for logos. Or in a pinch a little tongue-in-cheek. If you're old enough to remember the late 70s and the generic food craze. White container with black block lettering. Paint your Goz off white with black FREIGHTER on the side.

...might be some nose art.

...try pictures of "Tiger Meet" aircraft. AC that partake in this exercise are all painted in some form of a big cat, primarily tigers.

"White container with black block lettering. Paint your Goz off white with black FREIGHTER on the side."

Been there, done that :D ;) - I did a snowspeeder fleet in Tiger Stripes, and doing a "rug" over the top of the Goz was one idea I considered this afternoon...together with distorted checkerboards, Thundercats logos and Stormtrooper/Mandolorean Skull logos...

...quite like the idea of the simple wording down the side...I already have a small container freighter with the "Colonial Movers" logo from Battlestar Galactica (along with "Eddie Stobart" - Google it if you've not heard the name ;) ) - wasn't until after I finished it that I realised the wording should really be in Aurebesh!! :wacko: - will have a play around with the Aurebesh font and see if FREIGHTER looks interesting in it, or something similar...

Cheers...really appreciate the input...my creative juices just seem dry at the mo' :unsure:

Edited by ianmiddy

...might be some nose art.

...try pictures of "Tiger Meet" aircraft. AC that partake in this exercise are all painted in some form of a big cat, primarily tigers.

"White container with black block lettering. Paint your Goz off white with black FREIGHTER on the side."

Been there, done that :D ;) - I did a snowspeeder fleet in Tiger Stripes, and doing a "rug" over the top of the Goz was one idea I considered this afternoon...together with distorted checkerboards, Thundercats logos and Stormtrooper/Mandolorean Skull logos...

...quite like the idea of the simple wording down the side...I already have a small container freighter with the "Colonial Movers" logo from Battlestar Galactica (along with "Eddie Stobart" - Google it if you've not heard the name ;) ) - wasn't until after I finished it that I realised the wording should really be in Aurebesh!! :wacko: - will have a play around with the Aurebesh font and see if FREIGHTER looks interesting in it, or something similar...

Cheers...really appreciate the input...my creative juices just seem dry at the mo' :unsure:

Just googled Eddie. Not at all what I was thinking. Thought it might be from a movie. WRONG! Use your screen name in Aurebesh just like Eddie does. You could even borrow his color pallet (green) as a base.

Just had a thought for a logo. The Buck Rogers space ship from the Saturday morning serials. The black and white one with Buster Crabbe. "Rocket Transportation and Salvage". Or replace Rocket with Crabbe and use a decal for the crab. I think Crabbe with the old rocket would be a subtle homage to the great grandfather of space operas.

...something dark green might work, none of the factions uses green as a main color.

Hmmm...just doing a multi-green G1-A - will see how that looks once weathered, and maybe look at something similar...thanks ;)

Merc scheme, not completely earnest:

JwIB6cS.png

Merc scheme, not completely earnest:

JwIB6cS.png

Funnily enough, I've just about settled on something like this, staying with the grey, but maybe with some green filter & wording along the side as suggested above, with some kind of nose art...no fin on the Goz, though, so I may just do something on its extended tail...

Cheers

You could also use 'filters' to subtly tint the color on panels. For ideas check out AMMO by MIG on YouTube. If you're not familiar with the term filter it's basically a very thin wash that is used to change the tone of an underlying color. Like adding a blue or green cast to grey.

Finally managed to source some MIG blue filter at a reasonable price, and just tried a small test on the Goz tail area - looks great, so thanks again for the tip!

Ordered some Tamiya "Smoke", too - but the supplier sent me XF-19 [sky grey] rather than X-19...oh well, it'll get used at some point, I expect :unsure:

Not got too much else done, other than painting up some cargo containers to go on the ship...and then got sidetracked making a space-tug (WIP) for shifting them around out of a butchered K-wing body! :wacko:

Finally managed to source some MIG blue filter at a reasonable price, and just tried a small test on the Goz tail area - looks great, so thanks again for the tip!

Ordered some Tamiya "Smoke", too - but the supplier sent me XF-19 [sky grey] rather than X-19...oh well, it'll get used at some point, I expect :unsure:

Not got too much else done, other than painting up some cargo containers to go on the ship...and then got sidetracked making a space-tug (WIP) for shifting them around out of a butchered K-wing body! :wacko:

Glad I could be of help. The filters are a subtle color change as opposed to repainting panels in a lighter or darker base color. I think it's a nicer affect. Works well on "natural" metal paint jobs too.