Unusual ending with Shudde M'ell

By Vimes2016, in Elder Sign

Long time player of a variety of FF games, first time poster.

I taught a gamer friend of mine to play Elder Sign last night (with the Unseen Forces expansion) and in our second game, against Shudde M'ell, we had a rather unusual ending. In the penultimate turn, we were left with two cards on the table (thanks to Shudde's World Cracking ability) - Too Quiet (adventure) and Yuggoth (other world). We were on 11 elder signs, with Shudde on 5 doom tokens. My mate (playing Joe Diamond) attempts to win the game by tackling Too Quiet, and fails the adventure, with Shudde removing that adventure card, leaving just Yuggoth on the board.

On the final turn, me (with Dexter Drake) tackles Yuggoth, first using Cultes des Goules to add the red dice. With the aid of the Lure Monster spell as well, I easily finish the task, get the two elder signs, and seal up Shudde. However, in the text for World Cracking it states: If there are no more adventure or other world cards in play, the game ends and the investigators lose. With me completing Yuggoth's task, it's removed from play to my trophy pile, thus leaving no cards in play.

Of course, in the main rule book (p19), it clearly states that the game ends immediately if the players seal the ancient one away by collecting a number of elder signs equal to or greater than the elder sign limit on the ancient one's card. After some discussion, we come to the conclusion that we (the investigators) and Shudde both can't win (and lose) the game at the same time, and assumed that we had won the game, based on the facts that the investigators went first, that and the key word of "immediately".

So, were we correct in our assumption that we had won? Or does Shudde M'ell's World Cracking ability occur at the same time ending the game in an unlikely draw? Or does it go ahead of us and wins instead?

Whatever the case, despite being horribly thrashed by Hastur in our first match, I got another convert to the game. :D

Yes, you won. Otherwise Shudde ability would make winning with only one card in play impossible. Plus for the reasons you stated. 100% sound victory here!

Appreciated the response. Cheers! :)

Sounds like an intense session! I'd say you won for sure.