The Unstoppable Imperial Machine

By patox, in Star Wars: Rebellion

I've played several games against an opponent who seems to have nailed down the strategy that makes the Empire unstoppable.

How would you counter this:

1) He has 2-3 Fleets searching the Rebel Base

2) Uses every mission card possible to convert systems to Imperial Loyalty

3) Uses every mission card that allow for extra probe droid draws

Basically, he is able to check 5-8 systems per turn. Considering that there are 32 systems with 6 that the Imperial player already owns, only 26 systems need to be searched. By turn 4, nearly everything has been searched.

On top of that, he subjugates or turns Rebel systems to neutral or loyal, so Rebel production is brought to a near standstill by turn 3.

None of his assignments are wasted on frivolous things like capturing leaders or pulling from the project deck. Or even bothering with systems getting Sabotaged.

Each of those actions require a leader to trigger, so he won't be opposing you often. He'll also be spread thin, since he's constantly advancing his fleets and he's not going for the projects to improve his infrastructure.

There should be several targets for quick strikes, in order to rush objectives. You've already stated that he's basically handing you the '3 imperial systems sabotaged or in conflict' objective. Find a few more easy conversions and you're back in the game (any lonely Star Destroyers, as well as the loyalty based ones).

Unless his fleets also happen to be heading directly at your base, you'll likely have a couple of turns after he's zeroed in on your base location. It takes time in order to get one of his fleets there.

It also sounds like you might have a rule wrong: the starting loyalty mission requires imperial units in the system. He will usually already have knowledge there, from subjugating previously. So his rate of system checking may be slower than it seems.

I think the Beastie Boys said it best:

If he's not bothering clearing sabotage, go after the planet's that give him infantry. Leaving garrisons is a lot harder when you run out of stormtroopers. If he's focused on searching, then you should be focused on objectives.

And Mon Mothma is far more useful for diplomacy than Palpatine.

If you have missions that must be played in imperial systems, target systems where his fleets are before they move. That way if he opposes you, his fleet is locked.

And if he has a strong diplomacy game, consider putting the base on a remote system.

Your opponent cannot move fleets out of systems he already has a leader in.

1. He's leaving himself open for sabotage. Focus on something, like ground unit production, and put a stop to it. Subjugate and control ground units and he can no longer expand.

2. Even if you can' cut him off from production of any one type of unit, expansion at that rate is going to leave very little defense behind. Your hidden fleets, rebellions, etc should have no problem taking key systems away from him. Grab the blue squares this way and stop his SD production and boost your own MCC production. Even if he returns to retake the system, you've slowed him down.

3. If he's only doing expansion, he's doing no missions (basically). This means he's lagging behind in probes. If you keep harassing lightly defended systems, you will leave lots of open systems for relocating the base after he finds it, then brings all his fleets together to take it.

4. Rush your objectives early, aiming specifically for the heart of the empire objective. Make a plan to take Coruscant and cash in on objectives.

5. Do loyalty missions on Imp loyal worlds to change them to subjugated to stop production of major units.

Just look for the holes in his plan and abuse them.

The Imp plan of full on military conquest is doable. It's quick, powerful, and effective. But the Rebels can counter it. The only times I've seen the full military rush work is when the Rebels just simply don't draw any of the movement/rebellion missions.

I had a turn 6 win as the Imps. I had every SD, transport, AT-AT, and AT-ST on the board. But I had to leave loyal systems undefended, and subjugated systems had a single stormtrooper. The rebel player luckily never drew a card to make use of this and I crushed them. Had they drew any of the cards they needed to capitalize on my overconfident rapid expansion, I would have been in a world of hurt.

Calling it the Imperial Rush is a pretty accurate.

It's pretty unstoppable and much only needs the starting units (3 Star Destroyers, 3 Assault Carriers, 12 TIE Fighters, 12 Stormtroopers,

5 AT-STs, 1 AT-AT, and 1 Death Star)

1. Focusing on fleet maneuvers, probe cards and spreading Imperial Loyalty is key.
  2. Subjugation and Imperial Loyalty shuts down Rebel production.
  3. Ignoring Sabotage or wasting leaders on anything except the rush is also important.

Imperials spreading quickly? Sabotage and surgical strikes, for objectives.

Imperials working on loyalty? Do the same.

Imperials going for probe cards? Keep the rebel base just under a 4-multiple (7 works great), look for missions that steal probe cards back.

You won't be amassing a large fleet, but neither will he, and rebels are much more flexible with their ships. Use that advantage.

Edited by phaze

Remember, the Rebels do not have to win battles to win the game. They earn points for successful hit and run missions and for disrupting the Empire. Earn those points, and then get out!

Can I ask how he is managing to find the rebel base and have enough troops in the fleet that locates it to actually take the rebels out?

I'm finding with only basic production the rebels are well and truly ready for any of my starting fleets by the time I get there, and its a long slog back across the map from my production centres to attack them a second time.

Can I ask how he is managing to find the rebel base and have enough troops in the fleet that locates it to actually take the rebels out?

He mentioned in the first post that his opponent quickly subjugates systems with rebel production.

Sounds fair enough, but in our (limited) games so far, Ive found it pretty easy for the rebels to wreak enough havoc in subjugated systems that the empire is always struggling to keep a lid on the rebels. If they can get their diplomacy mission and some sort of strike/uprising every "build" turn, they can keep a pretty good production line going.

But thats only based on three games so far, will see if we get better at the empire with time!

Sounds fair enough, but in our (limited) games so far, Ive found it pretty easy for the rebels to wreak enough havoc in subjugated systems that the empire is always struggling to keep a lid on the rebels. If they can get their diplomacy mission and some sort of strike/uprising every "build" turn, they can keep a pretty good production line going.

But thats only based on three games so far, will see if we get better at the empire with time!

My two games as Imperials on Sunday was more or less me chasing my own tail. Usually when I get beat I have a pretty good idea of where it went wrong. Don't have a clue what I should have done differently.

Would really like to start a game with Corellia having Imperial Loyalty or at least as an imperial system in the first place.

Don't have a clue what I should have done differently.

Did they rush objectives and end the game before you had time to search?

Did they utilize strike teams/sabotage to cripple your production or stall your fleet movements?

Did they convert half the galaxy to rebel Loyalty and build a large fleet/ground force?

If you can detect what they're doing early enough, you can counteract it:

Want to rush? Fast-expand and probe cards. Be willing to let them assault or sabotage your fleet's location without contesting, if moving the fleet is more important.

Rebels being pesky and hitting your systems? Capture one to slow them down; use the starting Logistics mission to keep clearing Sabotaged systems that you want producing.

Loyalty a big factor? Use Imperial missions and the Death Star to help skew it in your favor.

Would really like to start a game with Corellia having Imperial Loyalty or at least as an imperial system in the first place.

Edited by phaze

Don't have a clue what I should have done differently.

First step is to try to figure out how Rebels won each game.

Did they rush objectives and end the game before you had time to search?

Did they utilize strike teams/sabotage to cripple your production or stall your fleet movements?

Did they convert half the galaxy to rebel Loyalty and build a large fleet/ground force?

If you can detect what they're doing early enough, you can counteract it:

Want to rush? Fast-expand and probe cards. Be willing to let them assault or sabotage your fleet's location without contesting, if moving the fleet is more important.

Rebels being pesky and hitting your systems? Capture one to slow them down; use the starting Logistics mission to keep clearing Sabotaged systems that you want producing.

Loyalty a big factor? Use Imperial missions and the Death Star to help skew it in your favor.

If not starting with Corellia and its blue square production, you'll likely have more ground forces at your disposal early, for some solid expansion. Can then go flip Corellia either early, or wait on it; your call on what you need most.

Pretty much everything you listed happened. That's what I meant by chasing my tail. Mon Cal cruisers on the board before I can move on the planet. Did't contest a sabotage so I can move a fleet only to draw that system card from the probe deck.

Had fleet wiped out for nothing when I dropped all blanks while my opponent is holding all the tactics cards when he sneak attacked with that rebel mission. I have three of the five that need a crossed saber to use as my three. He gets four sabers and hits with all the rest. And did I mention that I drew that system from the probe deck too? There goes the fleet and all of my power in that region.

Lando cost me two turns by moving all my ground units with his action card leaving my ships behind although I think my reaction to that was both a misplay and the result of making a rules mistake. Went three turns with only seeing probe cards that didn't tell me anything I didn't know.

Guessed wrong on Veer's action card for the surprise assault when I had narrowed down the region by pulling off Homing Beacon. Move to the system I know the base isn't yet I have to go through there to either of the other choices of where it is and the rebels are gone. Then next probe card draws all give me systems in the region I now occupy.

Every decision was wrong and the ones that weren't turned into disasters.

The biggest random element that thwarted me was constantly drawing "dead" probe cards even aside from the two I had to re-draw because of the False Leads mission (which I threw only blank dice contesting.) Both games were full of that. Land in a system, draw its probe card.

It is only game three though and we're still getting the rules down but I'm just not seeing how the Rebels won't always be on the front foot.

Sounds like some unfortunate luck with the probe deck. On the bright side, your next games are statistically more likely to have card draws in your favor? ;)

It also sounds like the Rebel player was pushing for a decent size fleet. You can stall/prevent this by being aggressive early with your Death Star.

If he doesn't keep his fleet 2 systems away, you can then move into his fleet's system and force a fight where he has only bad options:

1) let the Death Star wipe out his space units

2) commit a leader at the start of the fight, and use that leader to retreat his units. If this system is adjacent to another Rebel-held system, he's forced to retreat in that direction. You can use that to your advantage too, and just keep pursuing.

If he's not using missions to advance his objective deck, you have at minimum 4 turns where the Death Star is completely unkillable. Even if he gets the Death Star Plans later, you'll have crippled his fighters, reducing the odds of them surviving long enough to use the plans. Biggest risk at that point is probably Plan The Assault; if not used yet, then you may want additional tie fighters with your Death Star.

Homing Beacon: it's a very powerful mission, but it can be risky to play early. If the probe deck isn't mostly depleted, it's easy for the Rebel player to use Rapid Mobilization and just relocate before you can capitalize on that intel. Holding on to Homing Beacon until a bit later might be beneficial, if that's the board state.

Also, you may be handling Resolve missions incorrectly:

the two I had to re-draw because of the False Leads mission (which I threw only blank dice contesting.)

So yeah, in summary: go pick a fight with the Rebel fleet early, to put him on the defensive. Then figure out your gameplan based on how he reacts.

I'm probably thinking of one of the diplomacy "attempt" missions where I whiffed.

I'm certainly losing the tempo in there with assigning leaders to missions, opposing missions, and moving troops.

Probably should have held onto the captured leader longer before attempting Homing Beacon.

Rebels being pesky and hitting your systems?

Loyalty a big factor?

Try DEATH STAR!
Yes, Death Star. Ladies and gentlemen, Death Star is the cure for what ails you. It will balance the humours and cut out the threads of dischord like a Medical droid cuts away a tumor. Death Star is the one and only solution to the problems that you face daily.
Why, the lady of the house will be so glad to use Death Star, she'll forget that you stayed out late playing Sabaac the other night. And, sure, the man of the house can solve is own problems, but he's busy. After a hard days work in the Spice Mines of Kessel, why not let Death Star take care of that noisy itch of discontent.
Death Star, with its patented super laser can remove unsightly rebel bases and add a smooth political complexion to any Empire. Ask your local Motti about Death Star. You won't be disappointed.
Emporer Phaze "[Death Star will] help skew it in your favor."
Some Old Wizard "That's no moon."
Admiral Motti "[Death Star is] the ultimate power in the universe. <cough> <gasp> <sputter>"
Always consult your Medical Droid before using Death Star or any other Space Station to completely destroy a planet. If unsightly rebellions continue or increase with use of Death Star, please consult your local Sith Apprentice. Loss of Death Stars plans to rebel forces voids warranty. If the Rebels have obtained a complete technical reading of this station, it is possible, however unlikely, they might find a weakness and exploit it.

Omg laughing so hard

Is Death Star safe to use? I'm concerned about the lack of safety railing everywhere.

Death Star is as safe to use as any other large Imperial battle station.