Hive Gang Campaign

By Oridaellin, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Gang secrets: The Dandy Longlegs live to race, the faster the opponent the better. Their leader, Lucilla Danehardt, is something of a hero to the Longlegs, in conjunction with sponsorship from the faceless trade Lucilla has frequently participated in a cross species drag race, referred to in Gothic as "The Dervish Circuit". The circuit is held every six years by a mysterious Avian species who are only known as the hosts, the races are held on a massive desert planet which is assumed to be their home world. Orks, Eldar and dozens of unknown species are known to make an appearance at these races which have gained a savage reputation.

Oh man what a good idea! Bloodbowl meets Formula One! I'm gonna totally rip it off for something in my campaign, maybe have a crazy xeno-lovin' Rogue Trader hold some kind of Xeno Olympics.

Gang secrets: The Dandy Longlegs live to race, the faster the opponent the better. Their leader, Lucilla Danehardt, is something of a hero to the Longlegs, in conjunction with sponsorship from the faceless trade Lucilla has frequently participated in a cross species drag race, referred to in Gothic as "The Dervish Circuit". The circuit is held every six years by a mysterious Avian species who are only known as the hosts, the races are held on a massive desert planet which is assumed to be their home world. Orks, Eldar and dozens of unknown species are known to make an appearance at these races which have gained a savage reputation.

Oh man what a good idea! Bloodbowl meets Formula One! I'm gonna totally rip it off for something in my campaign, maybe have a crazy xeno-lovin' Rogue Trader hold some kind of Xeno Olympics.

Absolutely! It also goes without saying that anyone and everyone is free to use this setting or individual pieces at their hearts desire.

You are right, I can 100% percent see this fitting in with Rogue Traders in some way!

My own plot thread was likely going to be that Lucilla has grown too old to race, the players could choose to gain the Longlegs support by participating in the Dervish Circuit in her place.

Well that's neat. Without any prompting, one of my players decided to play a psychotic street racer. I'll have to nudge them towards the Dervish Circuit.

Unless the Eldar races get hamstrung and aren't allowed to bring their jetbikes, I reckon they'd cruise to victory most of the time. Still, the idea of a Wacky Racers sort of thing in 40K is so good and you could probably steal stuff from Gorkamorka if you have access to any of that material. I'm also getting a swoop bike racing feel from the first Star Wars KOTOR game out of this which is always a good feeling.

I've been working on a few racing rules to give it a little bit more flair than just pure vehicle speed or opposed riding checks. I might start a second thread to share what I have come up with and to ask for feedback and other ideas.

I was a little worried about the jet bikes too, and I thought of a few solutions.

1. Have the Eldar (Which are honestly more likely to be Dark Eldar and maybe a few Corsairs rather than Craftworld Eldar) travel in a raider transport instead of jet bikes.

2. Have the Eldar mostly represented as Reavers who are more interested in keeping pace and attacking the other racer than they are with actually getting ahead. This one might be the better option.

There will be a strange kind of strategy to choosing the vehicle. Obviously the solo bikes like the Veloxic are going to be the actual fastest, but travelling the circuit without a gunner or other team members will leave you quite vulnerable. I might even have a team that simply drives a chimera and just tries to kill everyone whenever they get lapped.

Or Hellions on their hoverboards? If I remember right, those are slower, and the lower-class Dark Eldar are more likely to race mere mon-keigh. They're single-person vehicles, but I could see a pair or trio of them working together-ish to win the race as a group.

If you're going to have this race be cutthroat and brutal, please have local Orks or something equivalent like they did with the sand people raiders in the pod racing event in Star Wars. You can spice things up with environmental hazards so the race is a bit more interesting than just a series of opposed operate tests. I believe it was in the Forgotten Gods adventure that they had an optional encounter where the players could find themselves in the middle of a live firing exercise by Basilisks out in the Desoleum wastes. That could certainly make the race a bit more exciting.

There are a lot more types of aliens in the 40Kverse than the tiny handful that are represented in the tabletop game; why not make up a new race that is perfectly tailored to your setting?

Don't forget to put in for window dressing some sort of Bloc War (ala Judge Dredd) somewhere off in the distance LOL

And and Food Riots

Looking into Gang culture - some have beliefs or tenants (aka like laws)

Look at Soviet/Russian prison gangsters - they get tattoos that tell their story...

What about "hazing" - the premise being "you aint paid you're dues yet like us veterans"

Scrubs, novices, recruits and are known as "hang-arounds"

There's a lot out there to put meat on the bone!

Stay GAMING

Morbid

Edited by MorbidDon