Exploding Dice, or sort of

By ReallyoldGM, in Zombie Apocalypse

I know this forum seems pretty dead but Im hoping someone out there checks on it like I do.

I occasionally run into the situation where multiple successes seem appropriate for a given task or there would seem to be a chance of just 'getting lucky' on a regular task yet the character doesn't have any features, conditions or what have you to add in positive dice.

I was considering implementing a version of an old Savage Worlds mechanic wherein if you roll a positive "1" you get to roll it again, even if it cancels. This way you have a chance at multiple successes or even regaining a lost success if it is canceled by a negative dice.

In a game like EotW it seems like a slight bit of an edge for characters in a setting that usually kills them off.

Example..

John runs over several zombies with his car and it breaks down. He has no real mechanical skill but is an intelligent guy, maybe its something simple you know? He is safe in his garage so no real threat so the GM rules 2 successes necessary to fix it. John starts with 1 dice but then adds... nothing. He has a few tools but not enough to give him any real advantage. No one is helping him, he doesn't have a manual etc. This is a matter of luck really, but with only one positive dice, he cant get lucky. Using my rule if he rolled a "1" he could take that success then roll again as a bonus die.

Example..

John is trying to talk some NPCs into investigating a sign calling for help hanging on a nearby office building. They aren't interested. He starts with 1 dice then adds another for his 'Diplomat' feature and one more because his last idea gained them a cache of food. A negative dice is thrown in because the area around the building has been busy with zombies lately. Another negative dice is included because the group is out of ammo for their firearms. The dice are rolled and John fails on two of his dice but rolls a 1 on the third, however a negative dice comes up 1 as well, canceling his success. Using my rule he could roll this dice again as a bonus die and hope for a success.

Thoughts?

I would say no to that. The dice account for things like that. You decide what's wrong with the car and how easy it would be for the car to be fixed. Then your pc make the attempt. If he has three or four intelligence odds are he'll make it. If not then tough. If your pc is in a safe place with no threat or danger, has the right tools etc and should be able to do it then I just wouldn't make him roll. If it the rolls bog down the narrative then you can wear out the pcs. I don't see a reason to add any extra mechanics to the dice.

I would agree with Nickenomics, though for different reasons.

Given the first example, I don't see why it could not be divided into two (or more) different checks. The first would be the diagnosis check, where a logic check with the appropriate modifiers would be applied. If that succeeds, then the player would notice what would be amiss and make the second attempt with a positive modifier. He the player failed the first test, he could still attempt the second without any positive modifiers, leading to the possibility that he could stumble into fixing the problem.

In the second, I would run it as a contested check, playing multiple checks as the give and take between the players and the NPCs.

Ok so if you in reased difficulty at all without threat then it's impossible ynless there are positive circumstances on top of character raw ability. There's no way to just get lucky?

I drop and break the groups radio. I have no electronics skill. If the gm rules it's more than one dice difficult, I can't fix it period. Right?

As I mentioned on the other thread you can always Push Yourself.

You always can have 2 posi's to rub together.