New Minor Psychic Powers

By Gregorius21778, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Hmm... some other minds with fresh ideas at last. happy.gif I am looking forward to see your "New Minor Psychic Powers" in a fleshed out format with rules aplauso.gif

Aye sorry about that, only remembered this is a "Minor Powers" topics when I came back later. And thanks, I'll try give it some unofficial details. OK, out of them all I think "Hormonic Manipulation" and "Horoscape" can possibly be minor powers, unfortunate I noticed that "Smoke" has already been covered by "Sculpt Flame" in Pyromancy so that's out. For now the "Henge" and "Kawarimi" will also be a minor power since they have no define discipline.

"Hormonic Manipulation"
You indirectly affect a target's emotions and mentality by controlling their hormones. The effects of this is varied or in some cases unpredicable like Adrenaline fueling the fight or flight reaction. You could fake a pregnancy to infiltrate a noble family or you could attract the opposite sex with phermones to give bonuses to social interactions (opposite effect for same gender), but ultimately this power is only limited by our imagination and the GM's cooperation. Take note: you'll have to have multiple treatments (eg. every hour) for a reasonable amount of time (eg. a day or a month) for it to physically change the body, like growing a beard with testosterone for example. The target will either have a T or WP test to 'resist', whichever is relevant. Failure in something by too many degree might cause horomone imbalance at a level the GM decides.
Some personal studying might be required sorpresa.gif .
Threshold: 10
Focus Time: Full, and 1d5 rounds to start having any effect (not immediate), but lasts maybe a minute.
Sustained: No
Range: 10m
Overbleed:
For every 5 you can affect another target (eg. phermone benefits for your team mates), or speed up the time by 1 round to a minimum of 1, or make it one step harder to resist. Sometimes people synchronise but having trouble incorporating this- eg a group of protestors might become violent and cause a riot.

"Horoscope"
With permission from the subject you provide a divination for the day, week or month (chosen beforehand). You mention three things: 1 good luck, 1 bad luck and chances on a relationship. Consult the non-existant table for random results. For luck it could be a colour, a number (some number represents a particular Chaos), an element, an image, anything. Luck can also amplify or counter the relationship promonition. Relationship premonition may provide a bonus or penalty for social interactions, and may indicate a unknown love rival. The divination may not be repeated again for the duration and any attempt will wield the same result. Unfortunate for the GM who have to incorporate this into a game as they must find it atleast once with the time.
Threshold:
13!
Focus Time: 2Full (for visual effects like palm reading, asking about DoB, eye contact, etc...)
Range: Touch

"Blink" (Kawarimi) Sorry Brother Praetus
You force all those arround to blink and in the split second you disappear and replaced by a mannequin . You may swap positions with a inanimate object of roughly the same size (GM can allow otherwise though not recommended). The object must be within line of sight (partial and nearly complete covered is fine) or prepared (read Call Item) bur single use object and within 50m in range. You can swap with an unprepared object that is out of sight as long as you can remember and accurately imagine it, which requires a difficult (-10) Int test modified to become more difficult by time. Total Recall will just make it flat Int test. If the Int test is failed 5 degrees or more than your life is at the hands of the GM.
Threshold: 12
Focus Time: Reaction
Range: You, 50m within visual for the object

"Hat Trick"
You can disguise an object no larger than a person as something else of reasonable size and shape (GM's choice for otherwise), like a gun for a hairdrier. At the GM's disgression it might only disguise one sensory perception (smell, touch, taste, sight, sound). Upon manifesting you must imagine the disguise (Int test might be required), anyone looking at object will have a -30 Awareness test to see inconsistancies (or opposed original Int test). A Psyniscience Test will reveal its true form to the person who made the test. It can be sustained as long as the object is close, but out of the range it remains for 10 round and reveals itself.
Threshold: 7
Focus Time: Half
Sustained: Yes
Range: Touched once then 10m range
Overbleed: for every 5 might make it even harder to detect by one step, or affect an additional sense. Look like a chicken, Smell like a chicken, Taste like a chicken, but you just ate C4.

OK, I'll admitt I am terrible on making specific details. The basic idea seemed simple to me and I just want them to be flexible but ended up making them complicated instead. I'll think about it some more before I post again, barring this one. Here's one more power(I got from 'Inception'):

"Warp Reality"
Threshold : 12
Focus Time: Full
Range: You? Visual? Sphere of temporal bubble?
Reality is altered to your liking (shrunk, stretched, folded or twisted). This power only affects the environment the Psyker is in (walls, path, room, etc) and not the objects or individuals within it. You can modify height and distance by up to double or down to half in any direction. You can make an elevation steaper or shallower. In a room (impossible outdoors) you can cause it to roll like a washing machine, but Agility tests are needed for everyone within to run with it and avoid tumbling objects. Take Note: when stretching or shrinking a stairway, it will not add or remove steps but make them large or narrow for example. You can spend a half action to replace the condition for a new one but counts as an attack action.
Overbleed: every 10 can add another condition, eg. you make the distance to the corner in front shorter but make the distance from the pursuers behind longer.

I imagined that it will be a bubble with people looking from the outside watching the world normally but seeing people getting tired easy, walking on walls and getting hurt from jumping down a single step. Or atmospheric like the walls really closing in towards you.

While this is not intended as a psychic but rather a sorcery power, I would like to hear what you think of it:

Reforge Gun
Threshold: 13
Focus Time: Full
By weaving a net of warp energy around a gun, the sorcerer can alter the functionality of its parts, granting deadly improvements at the risk of destroying it.
The sorcerer chooses one ranged weapon he is currently carrying and, as long as he sustains this power, may apply one of the following effects to it:
• The weapon gains one of the following Special Qualities, as chosen by the sorcerer: Accurate, Blast (1), Customised, Flame (Range 1d10m), Scatter, Shocking, Smoke, Snare, Tearing.
• The weapon doubles its range.
• The weapon doubles the number of shots it fires on semi or full auto burst and consumes ammo correspondingly. Note that 4 or more shots on a single burst count as full auto.
• The weapon has unlimited ammo and its damage type changes to Energy.
Overbleed: For every 5 points the threshold is exceeded, the sorcerer may apply an additional effect on the same weapon.
Special: Every 7 scored on the roll to manifest this power indicates that decreases the quality of the weapon by one step. A weapon of poor quality will be destroyed completely.

Although you're adding Special Qualities, some of them seems like you are modifying the ammo type (Snare, Flame, Scatter, Blast, Shock and Smoke) or simply using the gun as a caster (Outlaw Star happy.gif ). I don't think the Mechanicus is going to like that, you are corrupting the spirit of the gun. I do like it! gran_risa.gif Will it still need altleast some ammo for it to fire Flame and unlimited Energy? I assume the range is touch. Don't think there is anything that need changing although I feel that it should be a seperate power to change ammo type. Was tempted to say that it causes corruption to use the weapon and it mutates at some point where it grows a mouth to start biting and licking you.

Somonelse said:

Although you're adding Special Qualities, some of them seems like you are modifying the ammo type (Snare, Flame, Scatter, Blast, Shock and Smoke) or simply using the gun as a caster (Outlaw Star happy.gif ). I don't think the Mechanicus is going to like that, you are corrupting the spirit of the gun. I do like it! gran_risa.gif Will it still need altleast some ammo for it to fire Flame and unlimited Energy? I assume the range is touch. Don't think there is anything that need changing although I feel that it should be a seperate power to change ammo type. Was tempted to say that it causes corruption to use the weapon and it mutates at some point where it grows a mouth to start biting and licking you.

The net is weaved around the whole weapon, so it will also surround and affect the ammo clip. When asked by the Mechanicus, you could argue that it is not exactly you who's corrupting the gun, it's the warp energy or the Chaos Gods (in case of a 7 that would be Nurgle) cool.gif

Unless you also take the unlimited ammo option, you will need ammo for the Flame attack. To put it simply, the energy sublimes the ammo and ignites the gases. I'm not willing to risk your sanity, so I won't tell you about the warpy details. gui%C3%B1o.gif Range is touch, of course. The corruption and mutation are worth a second look, but I prefer not to make it to difficult, and by definition, sorcery already earns you corruption. Only thing I am considering is to make the first choice applicable only to solid ammo weapons (or yet a separate power ?).

Gregorius21778 said:

Denmar1701 said:

Gregorius21778 said:

Everwatch (Minor Psychic Power)
The psyker infuses a tiny portion of his self within a location somewhere. If a living or daemonic or sentient mortal being enters the place, he will notice this "disturbance", no matter where he is. However, he can not discern between "one" and "many". Only between "no-one" and "daemon/mortal being". If both daemonic and mortal sentient beings are present, the psyker will only "sense" the daemonic since it is the greater "disturbance".

The power works regardless of of distance, but for a price. Since a part of his self is left behind, the psyker temporarly loses 1d5 points of Willpower. The willpower can only be regained as the power is "dropped" (after that; one point per hour) In addition, as soon and as long as anything is within the "range" of the infused spot the psyker suffers -5 on all test that need concentration due to the "disturbance" of his self.

Threshold: 7
Focus Time: Full Action
Range: 2m around the infused "spot"

Overbleed:
For every 10 points of "overbleed", the "range" can be increases by one meter.

I like this one, but I think for game balance losing 1d5 points of Toughness would be more appropriate, or it becomes too easy for Psykers to do it. I also think this it would be a physical drain, which Toughness more easily represents.

It seems that an automatic senses of someone entering is too easy for a Minor power. So how about a Psynicience test, that the GM would have to roll secretly, when anything came in?

I think that willpower works even better for game balancing. Scratching the willpower means scratching the one thing a pskyer needs to have. He needs to resit, he needs a high bonus. In addition it was not meant as physical drain but a drain of "the self". The willpower attribute seemed to reflect this the best. But you are properbly right about the Psychniscienc skill. I generally have to re-work this for better clarification on the duration etc.

Thanks for the feedback, it is very welcome

I still feel that Toughness is better, mostly because most Psykers don't improve it. A stat that gets improved a lot, such as WP taking a 5 point hit is nothing. And even with those of us who have gone the Templar route, Toughness still lags behind. Honestly though, I would never use it the ability on my toon if it was used against Toughness... and my Psyker has a 50 on that score.

That aside, after getting feedback on on of these 'powers', you might try running through the posts again, but on the GM side of things, to get feedback from the kind of people who have to balance things all the time.

I rather like Bioshock V2.

Everwatch looks like something of limited player use, but makes for a potential weird baddie option perhaps. Temporary damage to WP or T... Hmm.. Kind of a hard call on that one. Good arguments both logically (logic re. Warpcraft?! *gasp!*) and mechanically can be made.

I like Denmar's proposed tweak to your Pulse of the Wild idea (frenzy) as well as the change to affecting "beastial"

Some of the other powers read alot like some of the less used telekinesis powers. Not sure they are quite polished or necissary.

Semi-related to the post: I am really hoping there is some sort of cross-compatability between the RT/presumably DW and DH/Asc. psychic powers at least as for how they might interact with each-other. Sooner or later you just KNOW there will be a Space Marine Librarian vs. rogue Primaris Psyker pissing contest in our games and it would sure be nice to have a smooth meshing of effects. For example, the Weaken Veil minor power (+2 to manifesting rolls, phenomena on 8-10) does WHAT exactly to a Librarian or Astropath? Many, many more out there with similar potential issues...

Still having some bad-blood issues (pun intended ) with the old World of Darkness crossover rules whereby Tremere Vampires could kick the **** out of MASTER level Mages in magical contests without effort, and the only thing that a raging Werewolf really needed to fear in melee combat was an annoyed Faerie. Of course if you ever got too munchkin then a Celestial Chorus Master could simply use Prime Mastery to make the universe forget you ever existed... Hoping to avoid that sort of sillyness when the awesomeness that is an Inquisitor making his field headquarters on a Rogue Trader's ship so that his Deathwatch Kill Team makes it to a vital target in time happens in one of our games. Because you KNOW one of us GMs WILL do that at some point, likely with player collusion.

A while ago, the psyker-player of my Friday-group asked if his psyker is able to to scamble or block vox signals (by means of the warp).
A good idea, me thinks, so I try to give him a minor power for this. In addition, it makes for very hand power for enemy psykers to keep the players from calling for help via vox.

Scramble (Minor Power)
Threshold : 7
Range: 100m
Action: Full
Sustainable: Yes

The psyker stirrs the warp to influence and disturb the aether so that vox transmission is scrambled. Minor vox devices (like handheld or micro vox) become useless as they only catch static. More sophisticated devices (like those of a communication station) might be used to get out a very short message. This attempt takes a full action and needs a successful tech-use+0 test.

Overbleed: Each 10 points of overbleed can either be used to increase the range by a further 50m or to raise the difficulty of the Tech-Use test by one step.

Gregorius21778 said:

A while ago, the psyker-player of my Friday-group asked if his psyker is able to to scamble or block vox signals (by means of the warp).
A good idea, me thinks, so I try to give him a minor power for this. In addition, it makes for very hand power for enemy psykers to keep the players from calling for help via vox.

Scramble (Minor Power)
Threshold : 7
Range: 100m
Action: Full
Sustainable: Yes

The psyker stirrs the warp to influence and disturb the aether so that vox transmission is scrambled. Minor vox devices (like handheld or micro vox) become useless as they only catch static. More sophisticated devices (like those of a communication station) might be used to get out a very short message. This attempt takes a full action and needs a successful tech-use+0 test.

Overbleed: Each 10 points of overbleed can either be used to increase the range by a further 50m or to raise the difficulty of the Tech-Use test by one step.

Not bad. A specialized form of Haywire from The Radical's Handbook , in a way. Because of the range though, I would suggest increasing the Threshold somewhat; by 3 or 5, maybe. Make the Overbleed 8, but reduce the range push to 25m. Seems more balanced to me that way. Maybe call it Warp Static .

-=Brother Praetus=-

Hi Praetor

Brother Praetus said:

Not bad. A specialized form of Haywire from The Radical's Handbook , in a way. Because of the range though, I would suggest increasing the Threshold somewhat; by 3 or 5, maybe. Make the Overbleed 8, but reduce the range push to 25m. Seems more balanced to me that way. Maybe call it Warp Static .

-=Brother Praetus=-

Thanks. Consider the name adapted. I think the Threshold of 8 is quiet alright. I measured it against the different "sense" and "call" and "hide" minor powers. The range reduction to 25m seems a good idea, but in case of the overbleed I do not want to break the established measures (5;10).

Gregorius21778 said:

Thanks. Consider the name adapted. I think the Threshold of 8 is quiet alright. I measured it against the different "sense" and "call" and "hide" minor powers. The range reduction to 25m seems a good idea, but in case of the overbleed I do not want to break the established measures (5;10).

I can understand the overbleed bit. Double checking, I thought there were one or two powers out there with overbleeds not in multiples of 5, but I seem to have been mistaken. It might have been some of the Arcana , but that is unrelated.

The best powers to compare yours with would be Haywire and Weapon Jinx ; both of which directly effect technology of varied sorts.

• Haywire is PT 10; Rng 25, single target, OB 10 for each additional target, " Stun " for one round (Servitors, TP and other such machine types test WP to resist).
  • Weapon Jinx is PT 8, Rng 50, single weapon, OB 5 for an additional weapon OR +10 Rng, Jams a non-primitive weapon.

When looked at in this light, I think it would do well with a Threshold of 10 or 12. Thresholds for minor powers exceeding 10 are rare, but not unheard of.

• Touch of Madness ( Dark Heresy ) PT 11
  • Space Slip ( DotDG ) PT 11
  • Time Fade ( DotDG ) PT 13

But if you think it's otherwise fine, go for it. I'm just offering my opinion. happy.gif

-=Brother Praetus=-

Here's an idea for minor arcana:

Weaken Materium

Threshold: 8

Focus: 1 Full Action

Range: 50m

Effect:

You slightly weaken the barrier between the materium and the warp. This both strengthens creatures of the warp and makes Psy/ Sorcery powers more interesting.

Warp-Creatures (Daemonic Trait/ Other justifiable creatures)

• +10 To all characteristics but WS and BS. +2 Wounds.
  • +1 to Psy Rating (if the creature has a Psy Rating)
  • Worsen the Difficulty of Warp Instability by 1 step

Warp-Tainted/Touched (With the From Beyond Trait)

• +5 to all characteristics except WS or BS
  • +1 wound. +1 Psy Rating (if the character has a Psy Rating)
  • +10 to all Psychic Phenomenon and Perils of the Warp
  • Worsen the difficulty of all WP tests from warp based sources by 1 step.

Psykers/ Sorcerers (Doesn't include Warp-Creatures) (In addition to Warp-Touched)

• +1 Psy Rating
  • +10 to all Psychic Phenomenon and Perils of the Warp

Special:

The Sorcerer must make a WP test every round or take 1d5-2 damage ignoring Armour and Toughness. Also, every time they make the test/roll/thing to sustain the power, they must make an additional WP test or take 1d10 damage ignoring toughness or armour.

from france

hi the link don't work even from here. so i will wait on DR

DarkReign finally managed to put it up ... but since they had a graphical re-launch you will first need to be very patient for your all the shiny graphics to be sucked in by your systems

http://darkreign40k.com/drjoomla/