Dread Ritual question

By Laerthes, in Forbidden Stars

Ok, I know you reduce material cost by Cultist number, and that you can not use forge tokens to reduce command requirement (so you can not get a Titan through Dread Ritual). So question is: If I have 5 Cultists in the same system, do I get a "Repulsive Grand Cruiser" for free? or do I still need a forge token as requirement?

Thanks!

“After you resolve this order, you may purchase 1 unit of commandlevel 2 or less and place it on a friendly area in the active system. Reduce that unit’s materiel cost by 1 for each Cultist in that system.“

You need to conduct a purchase, meaning you have to pay materiel plus satisfy the command level and the additional forge token to buy this unit. the materilel cost will be deducted for every Cultist, but the command lever and forege token requirement stays

Edited by Doctorius

You can also use a forge token to help buy, say, a Helbrute if you only have one city, just like a normal purchase. The Titan is the only unit you can't buy no matter what.

Thanks!

And you need a factory in the system to make the purchase with Dread Ritual?

As rules go:

1. You need a factory to purchase units.

2. You cannot purchase units above your command level.

3. You need forge tokens to purchase the most powerful units (in this case the Repulsive is the only one available)

But Dread Ritual says:

"After you resolve this order, you may purchase 1unit of command level 2 or less and place it on a friendly area in the active system. Reduce that unit’s materiel cost by 1 for each Cultist in that system."

Doesn't say anyhing about "factory needed in system", nor that you cannot purchase a command level 2 unit if you have less cities.

As I see it:

1. Card doesn't specify you don't need factory, so according to rules you need it.

2. Card specifies command level 2 or less, superceding the rules (cards take preference).

3. Forge token still needed cause card only reduce materiel cost.

Edit:

Errata: Rules Reference, p. 6, “Deploy Order” should contain the following bullet point: “A factory is not required when a player purchases a unit or structure as a result of a card or faction ability effect.”

Edited by Laerthes

No factory is needed.

If you want to build a ground unit, you must already have a friendly world (unit or structure).

If you want to build a ship, you must already have a ship in the system to make a friendly void.

If you want to build a Chaos Marine, you must have at least one city or a forge token.

If you want to build a Helbrute, you must either have 2 cities, or one city and a forge token.

If you want to build a Grand Cruiser, you need one token and either 2 cities or 1 city plus another forge token.

If you want to build a Titan, too bad.

You must also have sufficient materiel, Cultists and/or cache token to pay for it.

A factory is not required because thematically, the Cultists are performing a summoning ritual to bring the unit into the Herakon Cluster from some other part of the galaxy.

I used Dread Ritual to summon a Helbrute in a game tonight. Sadly, there was no room on the planet for the Cultists and the Helbrute they had just summoned, so the Cultists had to die. I think the Helbrute actually ate them...

Edited by Patriarch