Stealth, Dodge, and Blast

By Tepes, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I'm aware there are many topics with answers that come close to answering my question but I cannot find the exact answer to these two issues:

1.) How does blast granted by surges interact with stealth?

For example, if a hero has the copper treasure Bane which has "spend two surges: blast 1" and targets a space without any enemies with stealth, what happens when after spending surges to blast the AOE contains an enemy with stealth? Clarification on when surges are spent might also be nice.

2.) How does a dodging hero, or Lyssa interact with blast granted by surges?

In this case, assume an overlord plays the trap Dark Charm and attacks with the hero with Bane. Initially the overlord targets a space without a dodging character or Lyssa, but after spending surges to make it a blast, the attack includes a dodging character or Lyssa. Do the new targets get to reroll the dice due to their respective abilities?

More importantly, if they can cause rerolls can rerolling dice with surges possibly cause the attack to lose blast changing the result of the attack completely?

Thanks for your answers.

When making a blast, breath or bolt attack, the damage is not dealt and the attack is not resolved until all targets that will be included have been included. It is not possible for an attack that "did not include a dodging hero" to later on "include a dodging hero" because until you've finsihed spending surges to expand the blast radius (among other things you might want to spend surges on), you have not resolved the attack on ANYone.

Tepes said:

1.) How does blast granted by surges interact with stealth?

For example, if a hero has the copper treasure Bane which has "spend two surges: blast 1" and targets a space without any enemies with stealth, what happens when after spending surges to blast the AOE contains an enemy with stealth? Clarification on when surges are spent might also be nice.

You may spend surges after the roll (in fact, you MUST spend surges after the roll) but you do not actually deal damage to targets or resolve attack success until after you have finished spending surges (and also fatigue for adding extra dice, natch.) As such, the target with Stealth will or will not be included before resolution. Nothing is resolved before that is decided.

If a target with stealth is included, then the stealth die is rolled as soon as the blast radius incorporates that target. If the stealth die rolls a X, THE ENTIRE ATTACK FAILS. (Unless I'm forgetting something about Stealth in particular, things like this generally affect the entire attack.) Nobody takes any damage.

Tepes said:

2.) How does a dodging hero, or Lyssa interact with blast granted by surges?

In this case, assume an overlord plays the trap Dark Charm and attacks with the hero with Bane. Initially the overlord targets a space without a dodging character or Lyssa, but after spending surges to make it a blast, the attack includes a dodging character or Lyssa. Do the new targets get to reroll the dice due to their respective abilities?

More importantly, if they can cause rerolls can rerolling dice with surges possibly cause the attack to lose blast changing the result of the attack completely?

Again, all surges spent to increase the blast radius will be spent before any targets are required to declare dodge (and before Lyssa's reroll is required to be declared.) It's not a question of having no targets who dodge at one step and then having heroes who dodge at another. You must decide how all surges are being spent before anyone is required to tell you if they are dodging. The reroll caused by a dodge or other ability is essentially re-setting all dice chosen to be re-rolled. If the new roll cannot include the target who originally forced the re-roll, that doesn't matter. The new roll stands.

You're thinking that the re-roll "undoes" the original attack and somehow makes it invalid for the target who dodged to play dodge. This is not the case. The dodge has already been played when you re-roll the dice, it doesn't get unplayed later. The original roll included that target, making their reroll valid. The re-rolled attack could not include them and so it doesn't. Thems the breaks.

Steve-O said:

If a target with stealth is included, then the stealth die is rolled as soon as the blast radius incorporates that target. If the stealth die rolls a X, THE ENTIRE ATTACK FAILS. (Unless I'm forgetting something about Stealth in particular, things like this generally affect the entire attack.) Nobody takes any damage.

Stealth is an exception to this general rule.
ToI pg7
When a single attack roll would affect multiple figures (for example, an attack using Blast, Breath, or Sweep), and any of those figures have Stealth, a single stealth die is included in the attack roll, but the stealth die’s result is used only for the figures that currently have Stealth

Thanks for the response. So let me just make sure I got this right (feel free to post corrections to this sequence).

1.) Dark Charm is played and succeeds on a hero with a weapon that requires surges to get blast.

2.) Overlord declares space where blast will be centered and rolls dice.

3.) After all surges all spent, attack is seen to include a dodging hero with the stealth potion in effect.

4.) Stealth die is now rolled.

5.) The hero can now decide if dodge will be used for rerolls.

6.) Overlord decides how to spend surges on the now rerolled dice.

7.) The attack is resolved. If range fails, an X on the main die is rolled, or the attack hits no one (if target space was empty and insufficient surges for blasts), then nothing happens (even if surges can be spent toward something unrelated to damage). If the stealth die rolls an X then all stealth targets are unaffected (if all "targets" had stealth the whole attack fails).

I can't remember off the top of my head if the OL is allowed to spend surges on a Dark Charm attack, and unfortunately the FAQ doesn't seem to be loading for me. Sorry, I blanked on that detail of your original post. Assuming you can, then that sequence sounds correct to me.

Also thanks to Corbon for the stealth bit. I had a sneaky feeling I might've been forgetting something.

OL controls surges and power enhancements on a Dark Charm attack, but can't use orders or spend fatigue.

I'm not aware of any rule that would require an attacker to declare how all surges are spent before a re-roll takes place, at least in the general case. The attack sequence is pretty muddy even before you start including extra effects whose timing is left entirely to the reader's imagination (which is all of them, except the ones they've explicitly ruled on in errata). Though it's not as if it matters for any purpose other than this special case, if you're allowed to change them after the re-roll anyway.

Regardless, I agree that any figure in the final attack area should probably be able to dodge.

The stealth die is rolled "when a figure with the Stealth ability is attacked," which has no precise meaning, since attacks target spaces, not figures (this was discussed recently in another thread).

Since the rule for Stealth and area attacks is that you roll the stealth die and apply its effects only to figures that actually have Stealth, I think the most natural generalization of the rules is to say that the stealth die is theoretically part of all attacks, no matter what, but it doesn't matter if the attack doesn't reach any figure with Stealth, so you don't need to bother actually rolling it if you know it won't matter. This suggests that if you might hit a figure with Stealth, you should go ahead and roll the stealth die as part of the initial roll (so you know its value at the same time as all other dice, and it interacts with rerolls like you'd expect), and just ignore it if it turns out not to be relevant. This is how I ruled it in my game, and it's very convenient for Tetherys (though Steve-O's version accomplishes much the same thing).

But other interpretations are possible. An argument could be made for not rolling the stealth die until a figure with Stealth is actually included in the attack, muddying the attack sequence still further. An argument could also be made that if no figure with Stealth is yet included when you roll the dice , then it's too late to add it afterwards and the figure gains no benefit from Stealth against that attack.