Where to go next

By Evil Doctor T, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

Hi all

I've not played conquest in a while now due to real life (errr) and I'm looking at playing it a fair bit more over the coming weeks

I currently own 1 core set, all of the first cycle and the tyranid box

What should I pick up next?

Was there a certain pack of the second cycle that is must have?

Shall I just buy them in order?

Or shall I go get another core?

Do you use a lot of core cards, or are you all tyranid 24/7? If the former, a second core is going to increase your quality of life, at least while playing this game. If the second, you'll gain from just getting the whole Planetfall cycle. Funky new warlord plus goodies for all factions.

I'm halfway through ordering the first cycle. Got 1 core at the moment, with What Lurks Below (the one with the ambush warlord for tyranids), awaiting delivery of another core, the first three warpacks and The Great Devourer in the mail any day now. I went through all the card lists (recommended, but boring) and found that the simplest for me was to just grab everything in order. I'm not very focused on any particular faction. The second deluxe will also be in stores in a short time, so that's another thing to budget for :)

Going by average card ratings on CardgameDB, I'd say every cycle so far has enough great cards in every pack that they're all must-buy at the moment. At least until they rotate out of existence in a few years, or new cards are released which obsolete them.

I'll be honest, I haven't had chance to play tyranids that much let

There are two of us using one set of cards as well so at least one deck will be non-nids

An extra core would be very nice then. It'll reduce the streakiness of your card draw and help you build mono-faction decks.

I often see comments like "I bought another core, and wow, how much better the game is!" about every LCG, so it's always highly recommended. Now I wish the mail would hurry up and get me mine :)

Three Core sets is ideal for deck building purposes, and if you are sharing a card pool with an additional player that's just more common cards available between the two of you for building allied decks.

Only downside is the extra 73 cards you wont need per Core set in the form of extra planet and Warlord cards.

Yeah, be prepared for the wasted cards. There are a LOT of them, actually, when you consider the token cards (10 is the limit in play). A third of the card count (much less by weight, of course) is spares for when you tear up a warlord in rage.

I think I can live with the excess cards (I'll just box them away from my binder and try and forget)

The more I think about it the more I feel that second core is necessary for consistent decks

I'm actually running low on tokens with just one core. Having expensive cores locally and buying them cheap off Book Depository ($60 vs. $33) means it doesn't sting so badly ;)