Home Grown Talent discussion

By royalfa, in Blood Bowl: Team Manager

Hi there.

Yesterday night was a discussion about this staff upgrade about if can replace a LOSE payout in a tournament.

At first I said it do not because is a LOSE payout and the card state you replace the win portion of a payout section.

He ask me to find it in the web and only find an answer here that only speak about highlights and then "hit me" that the card says "Payout section" and thats only on the highlights and no in the tournaments.

At the end he take his LOSE payout normally but he was upset because he want to change it and I say he can´t.

Please help me to clarify this.

Thanks in advance.

If the card indeed does use the term "highlight", then you're correct, it can't be used at/for tournament:

"When a card’s text uses the

word “highlight,” it only applies to highlights and cannot be
used at tournaments." (p. 6)

Am going to have to flip-flop on my initial reply and say, having fully read the card in question, that it does apply to tournaments. Tournaments have payout sections same as highlights and the card doesn't mention anything about highlights. In fact, the final bit in parenthesis on the card seems to be there purely to show it works on tournaments: "(This does not replace the printed payout for any other manager other than yourself.)" Only at tournaments can other managers even gain the same payout as you (requiring 4+ players and at least four players involved in a tournament to see at least two gain the Loser Payout (which one player swaps for three fans with HGT, while the other(s) get the printed payout).

Maybe is only a grammatical issue but the card reads: "Exhaust this card to replace the entire payout section you win with FAN FAN FAN. (This does not replace the printed payout for any manager other than yourself.)

In the rules only talk about "payout sections" on highlights (Page 15) and only talk about "payouts" on tournaments.

Let's say that the tournament has "payout sections" as well and your logic about the phrase in parenthesis I agree too.

The only matter now is the card reads "..you win" is correct to say that the last payout section LOSE! you also win? the rules say that you "collect" the LOSE! payout (page 13) and not "you win" that moreover you are at the LOSE end....

Maybe I think the card is overpowered then because in any case you can have only 1 player in the tournament and change the LOSE! part in 3 fans that I think is a lot!! More in the final week of the game.

Thanks for the replay waiting for more feedbakc

Most of the time, rules also don't say you "win" a payout (HGT uses the word win), you COLLECT a payout. You win highlights/tournaments. Card anatomy on page 6 lists everything on highlights (both sides and center), as well as tournaments (winner, runner-up and loser) parts of the card as payouts , while page 15 talks about payout sections , not touching on whether tournaments count as well.

Also, if you go strictly by win, I would argue that you would not be able to change either team zone payout section on a highlight with 3 Fans, as you get your team zone payout whether you win or lose, only need to have a player there, you win a highlight and collect the center payout, so going by win, that's the only thing you could alter on the cards, making HGT very, very weak.

Honestly though, I'm not sure how swapping a LOSE part of a tournament with 3 Fans is any more powerful than swapping a 1-Fan payout section on a highlight with 3 Fans, or turning a single Star Player payout to 3 Fans.

FFG and consistent wordings unfortunately don't go together very often.

Edited by Dam

I agree with Dam, and it does make the card weak. It's the obvious choice to discard when hit with a "you're fired" penalty card.

Thanks both for the reply.

Well he use that night very well the card. Even we (I in particular) don't let him to change the LOSE portion of a tournament one week.

He acquire the improvement the 1st week and every week thereafter he collect 3 fans from highlights, some with "poor" choices even when he won the

central payout. I assume was a lot of fans (12 in 4 weeks) and at the end he beat me for 3 fans....I beat my cousin by 1 fan Was a really close game

thanks again and good gaming