Where is everybody?

By Arma virumque2, in General Discussion

The boards here have MUCH less activity than I remember from the early days of the LCG. I'm just curious -- is this a reflection of a smaller player base, or has the activity just moved to other sites?

People actively direct people away from the official forums toward the Cardgamedb forum.

"AGOT 2nd Edition" group on Facebook gets a lot of traffic.

Thanks, guys. I've obviously been away from the scene for a while. Is there any particular reason the cardgamedb forums are better?

The discussion boards? Not really. But cardgamedb includes a deck builder and card spoilers, so a lot of people went there because everything is in one place. After that, it was a matter of where there was greater activity.

Surprised nobody has made the obvious reference here, so I will.

Valar Morghulis.

Thanks, guys. I've obviously been away from the scene for a while. Is there any particular reason the cardgamedb forums are better?

I quit dislike the forums at CGDB. I have nothing against the community but the forum software and design layout leave SOOoooooo much to be desired. If they fix the design I might participate over there, until then I will stay here.

There was a long time where these forums weren't working very well also. Once that started happening, it lost a ton of traffic.

You can find all the discussion spots and content creators from the Community FAQ in my signature

I feel like people should be driving traffic here, instead of to some other site with terrible forum software. This is the official forum, and people new to the game come here first .

Edited by Kakita Shiro

I feel like people should be driving traffic here, instead of to some other site with terrible forum software. This is the official forum, and people new to the game come here first .

CGDB is owned and operated by FFG and therefor official as well but I agree with you. This is a curious new players first stop. It should be open, welcoming, and active.

That's a nice idea, but it's not going to happen. The traffic, deckbuilders, and content are already elsewhere.

CGDB is owned and operated by FFG and therefor official as well but I agree with you. This is a curious new players first stop. It should be open, welcoming, and active.

In principle, I agree - It would make more sense for this forum to be lively. In practice, it doesn't make that much sense for a large existing community - who left this site in droves as it deteriorated to the point of being almost unusable, back here. There's no 'feature' that justifies the switch cost for what is already a sizeable community. As someone who goes out of my way to answer rules questions, mark them as solved, catalogue them, reference them and curate them in the Rules forum on cardgamedb, where the administrators have given me those privileges, I don't have much interest in driving traffic away from the forums where I have more tools at my disposal to help, and I don't have much interest in answering rules questions in detail here, where they won't form a part of that same searchable catalogue.

In the end, it'd make more sense if this forum was a re-direction to CGDB (which they own). Click the link for the general forum here, and it takes you to the general forum there, etc.

There's no 'feature' that justifies the switch cost for what is already a sizeable community...

I imagine that large numbers of new players looking for information on the game might have some weight.

I also wish that they would deprecate the First Edition forum somehow. At least move it to the bottom.

I have many technical issues with CGDB's forum and server. Great resource for games there isn't yet a specific deckbuilder site for, but clicking "View New Content" results in the message: " Search is not enabled on the community at this time", which makes my preferred way of browsing impossible. Having a big, fat column of links to the left the real content is also a design that should die a fiery death. I use other forums as far as possible.

There's no 'feature' that justifies the switch cost for what is already a sizeable community...

I imagine that large numbers of new players looking for information on the game might have some weight.

Not as much as you think. The large numbers of new players looking for information tend to either go straight to other sites as suggested by more seasoned players, or they notice that there's not a whole lot going on here and then search out the other sites. On top of the forums, which work fine, and the deckbuilder, which works fine(though a better one exists elsewhere), there's a lot of additional content in the form of articles and podcasts to be had on cardgamedb.

The reddit scene is also quite active.