Heretical Leanings

By RoK 98, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

It has been a few years since I departed from my Games Workshop hobby. No anger or hate, the hobby just got too expensive and required too much time commitment. Since then I've been happily enjoying all things Star Wars.

But the Grim Darkness keeps calling.

The desire for darker, more grown up roleplaying.

What is putting me off is similar to what's putting me off the Star Wars RPGs: the number of and prices of books. I'll be happy to get Dark Heresy 2nd Edition and it's three supplements, but it'll take some convincing.

Are there rules for Space Marines or are they easy to house rule?

Are there rules for civilian vehicles or can I easily house rule?

Are there rules for various locations, such as Daemonworlds and Hive Cities, or is it easy to house rule environmental effects and local flora and fauna?

Those are my top questions but feel free to boast about the game. I know I like the character creation from reading reviews of it.

Are there rules for Space Marines or are they easy to house rule?

There are various Reinforcement Characters including a DW Marine and three of the four assassins from the temples. A bunch of other types as well for easy insert. I can't recall them all at the moment.

Are there rules for civilian vehicles or can I easily house rule?

Enemies Without has the Ace Role, which is basically a pilot of all things vehicles and introduces a lot of the vehicles that the DHRB did not include.

Are there rules for various locations, such as Daemonworlds and Hive Cities, or is it easy to house rule environmental effects and local flora and fauna?

Three new world types per book not included in the DHRB are in supplements with Daemon World being in the Enemies Beyond.

I will comment more later.

~ alemander

There's two example Space Marine characters; a Deathwatch Assault Marine without a jetpack and a Grey Knight Terminator. It is easy enough to extrapolate their stats, which I did in order to stat up the Iron Warriors Warsmith who will be a notable bad-guy in a few months.

There's a number of civilian vehicles; bikes, trikes, cars, trucks. And the stat-block is easy to go off of to create your own; I've done this a time or two as well for some Frontier World stuff, a model of gun-cutter for my group's party, etc.

Environmental effects aren't thorough, but they're easy to adjucate, on the fly if need be. Fatigue is something I suggest you remember, as I have in the past frequently forgotten to apply it suitably in my game. The Warp Shock/Corruption rules cover exposure to the Daemonic pretty accurately, however.

I love how quickly it runs if you've got your sheet together (pun intended). Only game I've done where combat was faster is D&D 5th Edition, and that's only sometimes. I've handled a massive vehicular battle of close to 100 enemies vs. the party and 10 NPC allies in around four hours and it went swimmingly; very Mad Max-ish, involved a train.

Thank you both for your replies.

Sounds like I'll enjoy putting together some campaigns in 40K.

The simple answer to all your questions is yes! Currently there isn't a duff expansion for the system so it's all worth getting.