New Player

By Rob9, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Hey Guys,

Is this game still in production? I have read conflicting information and I am thinking about picking this up.

I am a long time warhammer/bloodbowl player and have never done any roleplaying so I know nothing about anything. If this is still in production can anyone advise what products are worth getting? I was going to start with the Core and take it from there.

Cheers

Rob

If you can get ahold of the Core Box and hopefully The Adventurers Toolkit you are good to go. Just the Core works too, but the Adventurers Toolkit really fills the game out.

After that, there are the four major expansions which can be bought after your own groups needs:

Signs Of Faith: Rules for diseases and more rules for priests

Winds Of Magic: Rules for mutations and more rules for spellcasters

Omens Of War: Rules for Critical Wounds and more rules for fighters

Lure Of Power: Rules for Social Combat and more rules for socialites

Edited by Ralzar

Cheers Ralzar

The Core box says it is in stock so that shouldn't be an issue. Is the GM's toolkit worth it or just the adventurers?

The Adventurers Toolkit is the real thing to get (Ratcatchers!) compared to GM's Toolkit.

The GMs Toolkit is really only for completionists and doesn't give you anything really essential. You actually get more good stuff from some of the earlier edition GM's books (pdfs on drivethrurpg) with things like standard layouts of common old world structures like inns, way shrines etc.

Ok I will put the GM toolkit on the completion list.

I have been trying to hunt down a copy of the adventurer's toolkit... I assume it has been out of production a while which is why there is only limited/no stock at independent stores and ebay sellers are trying to rip people off?

Also what are the guides/vaults? do I not need them?

Unfortunately the Adventurers Toolkit has been out of stock for a long while and is in demand as a scent addition. So eBay becomes a rip-off, keep searching and if you see it come up for a price you are willing to pay, then grab it - don't think twice as it will be gone!

There are three guides and three vaults - player's, gm's and monster's. The player's and gm guides were a brief attempt to open up the game to players who want to play, but don't want all the bits and cards. They are essentially the rules from the core, plus a couple of the earlier expansions and careers and actions in table format rather than cards. The corresponding vaults then add the cards and bits - extras for people who want them.

The monster's guide and vault are same format as the other two, but with new monsters and, if I remember correctly, monsters hadn't been supplied in card format before, so the vault was an addition not a copy, and so worth the investment.

The player's and gm's guides and vaults are the only things I have not bought that have been available for 3rd. Been tempted with the guides - for completion sake (and some better layout of rules and clarifications). But never for the vaults.

Hope that helps a little.

Gazery

For guides and vaults:

Down the line consider buiging the Mosners Vault. It has a card for just about every NPC type in the game. Super handy.

Other than that, you can buy the guides in PDF-form if you feel like it. It's handy to have the rules on an iPad or something and it's easier to borrow to players. (Never borrow anyone your cards etc. The game easily becomes unplayable if you loose some of the components.)

Ok its all starting to make sense...

I think I will stick with the core, the adv toolkit and the 4 expansions mentioned, I also like the sound of getting the creatures guide/vault down the line and some other expansions... now to keep the search on for the toolkit.

On a side note any recommended podcasts? I am just starting reckless dice from scratch.

" consider buiging the Mosners Vault. "

Kudos to Ralzar for the best typo i've seen in ages. But otherwise yeah I'd agree with his comments especially his ipad comments. I've got a load of stuff including a rules summary done by reckless head on my ipad and it's a god send.

As for podcasts Rob? Forgive the shameless plug. But you can find my own podcast here:

http://theorderofchaosgamers.com

This is another resource I stumbled across, has some links at the bottom not that I have looked at them.

http://www.orderofgamers.com/games/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-3rd-edition/

Yeah that's the same stuff I meant Rob,when I said:

"I've got a load of stuff including a rules summary done by reckless head on my ipad and it's a god send. "

Yeah it's that first link for the Rules Summary that I was referring to. Get that on your ipad and as a GM it's priceless for quickly looking up rules.

Hope you enjoy the podcast and I'll be interested to hear your feedback.

Edited by Noelyuk

" consider buiging the Mosners Vault. "

Kudos to Ralzar for the best typo i've seen in ages.

I'm pretty impressed myself. Looks like I typed it with my nose. Eh, I'll leave it as entertainment :P

Btw, something all players should know about it Gitzmans Gallery (just google it). It's got tons of handy stuff like rule summaries and character sheets.

The GM screen included in the GMs Toolkit is terrible (I don't think I've ever seen an official GM-screen that hasn't been kinda terrible) and the character sheets included in the Core box are really akward to use for mulitiple sessions as there is too little room for a bunch of essential stuff.

Edited by Ralzar

Yup Count Dimons summary, v6, is fantastic reminder.

Replaces many references to rulebooks (e.g., picking specializations on career completion).