Warhammer Quest - The Silver Tower

By Amani2, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Anyone know anything about this game? It doesn't seem to be related to the Fantasy Flight version.

Edited by Amani

It seems to be a modular dungeon-crawl board game, a la HeroQuest or WarhammerQuest or the Advanced versions of either from ~20-25 years ago. Kind of like Descent or Imperial Assault.

It's really weird that there isn't more info or images about it though, especially for something so significant as a minis-driven board game that is supposed to be released in just 13 days.

Edited by JohnGarrison1870

The development of this game has nothing to do with WQ:ACG. I'm sure we'll see an expansion...

While you are correct that Silver Tower has nothing to do with FFG's game, the concern comes by way of the license agreement. If the agreement between GW and FFG is anything like an ordinary IP license, GW holds the right of final approval of anything FFG makes under that license. You see a similar thing happen with Star Wars stuff that FFG creates, like "final miniature pending licensor approval" at cons and trade shows.

GW placing this version of WHQ in the age of Sigmar setting instead of the old world (plus them doubling down on age of Sigmar with the new book with alternate rules and points) definitely seems like they are pushing AoS and don't want too much old world stuff floating around due to brand dilution/confusion. On the other hand, aside from names, there are very few things at the WHQ level that seem to be differentiated from the old world. Sure, it's less grounded in quasi-real world analogues, but the meat and potatoes are similar. It's not like WHQ:ACG has a ton of old world specific fluff to go with it, so I'm thinking if AoS is mandated as the setting going forward, that isn't hard to fold in. So the Trollslayer will be called a Duardin Doomseeker or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I love the old world, but AoS skinned xpacs for this game would be easy enough to pretend are old world ones.

Just so long as two things happen:

1) we get expansions

2) we don't have to use anything like the abomination that is the "gryph hound"

Edit: at the same time, the new edition of Blood Bowl at least appears to be in the old world, so there is hope that it's not well and truly dead. It's only mostly dead :-)

Edited by FatherTurin

And GW is not shy about asking a lot of money for there product. A whopping $150 for the core box, wow. I think this release kills any hope of FFG ability to expand this game. And thats too bad. I can't see GW allowing FFG to continue making a product with the same product name in any world.

Yes, it is a shame. Another dead FFG title. I'm glad that I waited to buy...now I never will.

Yes, it is a shame. Another dead FFG title. I'm glad that I waited to buy...now I never will.

The game is definitely still worthwhile for the included campaign, not to mention some fan made material. It's okay for a game to not have expansions and be a self-contained experience. :)

Agreed. If you can get it for less than MSRP especially, it's more than welcome to just sit on my shelf forever as-is. It is a bit disheartening that it has all the appearance of being more though.

Agreed. If you can get it for less than MSRP especially, it's more than welcome to just sit on my shelf forever as-is. It is a bit disheartening that it has all the appearance of being more though.

I also think that it's really premature to state that there's never going to be expansions. GW didn't just suddenly decide to release The Silver Tower, there had to be overlap in the design of both games. Also, the games are entirely different experiences, since a lot of people have no interest in assembling/painting miniatures.

There's plenty of room for both products on the market, as they don't impede on each other's intended audience.

I hear you, and everyone makes good points. But, I have LOVED the LOTR LCG and forever will. I also play D&D 4e and enjoy rolling dice and play Mansions of Madness -- things where you move a miniature around.

I LOVED the idea of Warhammer Quest the card game. It seemed like a perfect mix of a campaign-style RPG and a card game. I had all of these hopes of having a playgroup that played through long campaigns, leveled up, gathered new items, etc. In the end, if it is just a $40 box with no additional content, I just don't see it being worth the time and money.

I have also been debating about getting into the Pathfinder Adventure card game, but was hoping that Warhammer Quest would be FFG's version of something like that.

Edited by divinityofnumber

Back in the day, (1995/96?) the release of Warhammer Quest broke new ground. The quality of the game design together with the quality of the components was unrivaled at the time and appealed to both figure collector/painters and boardgamers alike. Sadly, nothing since has ever come close.

Several companies have tried to emulate WHQ but have always fallen short. Now GW themselves are having a go - but from what I've seen, the Silver Tower will not capture the imagination like the original game.

Thankfully I still have a copy sitting in my attic!

:0)

Perchpole

Even descent doesn't topple classic WHQ from being the king of dungeon crawlers.

I'm sure we'll see an expansion...

How much do you want to lose bet?

Edited by FellintoOblivion

I'm sure we'll see an expansion...

How much do you want to lose bet?

Since there's no reason to think we won't see an expansion other than people assuming that since one wasn't immediately announced that means there will never be one, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet one is coming. People are acting like that FFG just got totally blindsided by The Silver Tower coming out, or that GW doesn't license the old world anymore.

Personally I am more concerned by the possible internal competition with Road to Legend (Descent) than Silver Tower although copyright issues may be a problem.

Adam Sadler (designer of WQACG) is also one of the designers of Descent and on boardgamegeek he seemed quite happy about the feedbacks about RtL. I am wondering how much is involved in RtL and when the next expansion of WQACG will be released (since Rune Age got one I expect at least one for WQACG). ;)

Edited by Gendalm