The Force Awakens Beginner Game... Really?

By Trooper723, in The Force Awakens Beginner Game

Realistically speaking, it wouldn't make sense to release a TFA era corebook until after Episode IX anyway. Even then, If they wanted, and if there was enough interest, they could probably put out all the necessary information in one or two supplements with references to the prior corebooks for game mechanics when needed.

I am happy to have any tools to help bring more players to the table. The whole idea of role playing is vastly enhanced by different peoples' perspectives. If everyone at the table has roughly the same approach, bias, interests, it's going to narrow the field of the story. And I, for one, am all about the story and characters. Good job to all those who suspended their minor gripes and found a way to bring a new story to life. Let the games go on!

D4B white logo.jpg

As someone who just bought this box set, I don't see how it can bring people into the game other than a one shot. $30 for a one shot is pretty nuts. I need some form to character creation to even make this worth my time.

2 hours ago, lotjx said:

As someone who just bought this box set, I don't see how it can bring people into the game other than a one shot. $30 for a one shot is pretty nuts. I need some form to character creation to even make this worth my time.

Note the game does have a free followup up adventure available online.

And it does help bring people in to the game by offering a taste of the game system and allowing the group to decide if the game is right for them. If you are already committed to this system, it would behoove you to skip the beginner box and begin investing in the core rulebooks that most interest you and the game you intend to run or play in.

In my case, I wasn't sure about this system and its funny little dice, but I decided to get the Edge of the Empire Beginner Box and try it out. After the game, I was hooked. So the BB did the job for me.

4 hours ago, kaosoe said:

Note the game does have a free followup up adventure available online.

And it does help bring people in to the game by offering a taste of the game system and allowing the group to decide if the game is right for them. If you are already committed to this system, it would behoove you to skip the beginner box and begin investing in the core rulebooks that most interest you and the game you intend to run or play in.

In my case, I wasn't sure about this system and its funny little dice, but I decided to get the Edge of the Empire Beginner Box and try it out. After the game, I was hooked. So the BB did the job for me.

There's also the bonus that the Beginner Box includes a $15 set of dice, putting the extra materials (pre-gens, adventure, map, tokens, etc) at $15. That's not a bad price point if the box does it's job and gets people to buy further products.

Agreed. For what you get, this is a great deal. I've managed to play the scenario with two different groups, and I feel that I've more than gotten my money's worth with it.

Of course, I didn't hate the movie, even if it was a clone of the original New Hope, so I'm more apt to like this product, too. My young daughter is also eager to play a game in the world of Rey and company because she loved the movie (and Rey), something that is easy for us old-time Star Wars fans to overlook.

I for one would love to see a new Force Awakens line of RPG books. I really enjoyed the beginner game and with the new movie defiantly want more!!

19 hours ago, Mburnaugh64 said:

I for one would love to see a new Force Awakens line of RPG books. I really enjoyed the beginner game and with the new movie defiantly want more!!

I expect that we'll see an Era book for Episodes VII - IX in about three years.

-Nate

On 10/19/2017 at 3:53 PM, Nate said:

I expect that we'll see an Era book for Episodes VII - IX in about three years.

-Nate

That would be my guess too, if not a bit sooner.

not sure where all the hate is coming from they aren't making a new set of books, this just lets fans of the new universe see what is offered in the current book sets, giving this to my son for xmas so we can start exploring the game line.

Note: Unlike our other Beginner Games, The Force Awakens Beginner Game will not be followed by a new Star Wars RPG game line. Instead, it draws upon the core mechanics shared by Star Wars ® : Age of Rebellion , Star Wars ® : Edge of the Empire , and Star Wars ® : Force and Destiny . Players interested in continuing their Star Wars adventures can do so through any of these fully compatible systems.

as seen here