Dear FFG: can we get a box that doesn't suck?

By Desslok, in The Force Awakens Beginner Game

It's kinda funny... I just ordered a Swedish roleplaying game the other day.

Now, this game comes in a box, it's the same size as the beginner box (only in A4 format instead of US format).

It's a thick, sturdy box, not a flimsy one like the beginner box.

It includes 2 rulebooks (combined size about the same as the EotE core rules), 108 cards (think the crit cards from FFG), 108 markers (same as the beginner box markers), 15 custom dice and 4 large colour maps (same size as the starter box's maps, each).

(The quality of the artwork and items are the same as FFG's items)

So, let's look at the price.

299 sek (swedish crowns).

For comparison, the Jewel of Yavin is 299 sek at the same store.

The beginner box is 259 sek at the same store.

So why can't we get a somewhat sturdier box for the beginner game?

It's not gonna cost a fortune more.

Well, the transport costs will have been lower, if you actually bought it in Sweden. But I agree, there is little reason to skimp on the sturdiness of the cardboard. That's not going to make the price skyrocket.

That said, Swedish roleplaying seems to be in something of a golden age these days. The number of high-quality games coming out is staggering. I am especially fond of Fria Ligan - they are doing some great things.

Yeah, I haven't really played anything Swedish since Mutant: Undergångens Arvtagare stopped, but Mutant: År Noll might get me back in (that's the game I bought btw)

It's kinda funny... I just ordered a Swedish roleplaying game the other day.

Now, this game comes in a box, it's the same size as the beginner box (only in A4 format instead of US format).

It's a thick, sturdy box, not a flimsy one like the beginner box.

It includes 2 rulebooks (combined size about the same as the EotE core rules), 108 cards (think the crit cards from FFG), 108 markers (same as the beginner box markers), 15 custom dice and 4 large colour maps (same size as the starter box's maps, each).

(The quality of the artwork and items are the same as FFG's items)

So, let's look at the price.

299 sek (swedish crowns).

For comparison, the Jewel of Yavin is 299 sek at the same store.

The beginner box is 259 sek at the same store.

So why can't we get a somewhat sturdier box for the beginner game?

It's not gonna cost a fortune more.

Well, the transport costs will have been lower, if you actually bought it in Sweden. But I agree, there is little reason to skimp on the sturdiness of the cardboard. That's not going to make the price skyrocket.

That said, Swedish roleplaying seems to be in something of a golden age these days. The number of high-quality games coming out is staggering. I am especially fond of Fria Ligan - they are doing some great things.

Yeah, I haven't really played anything Swedish since Mutant: Undergångens Arvtagare stopped, but Mutant: År Noll might get me back in (that's the game I bought btw)

I absolutely LOVE Mutant: År Noll. I backed Coriolis as well, so I'm looking forward to getting it, but man... M:Å0 rules! But this is getting very off topic...

Yeah, I bought Coriolis as well, but never got to play it.