Putrid Zombie and Laboratory

By Edriss, in Talisman Rules Questions

Hello, just a sanity check.

Putrid Zombie says " While you have this card as a trophy , you cannot have Followers .". Laboratory says " You may reanimate one of your trophies (place this card on the Enemy ). The reanimated Enemy becomes your Follower (...)"

Can I use the Laboratory on the Putrid Zombie, or would the Putrid Zombie prevent itself from becoming my Follower ?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Edriss

Awesome! I think this would be a good time for a house rule.... I think this would be along the lines of Michonne from the walking dead and her pet zombie(s).

I think it would be OK to have the Putrid Zombie as a follower but no other followers at this point.

I see no reason you couldn't animate it, at which point it becomes a follower and not a trophy, freeing you up to have as many followers as you like.

I see no reason you couldn't animate it, at which point it becomes a follower and not a trophy, freeing you up to have as many followers as you like.

Agreed. The Putrid Zombie, being a trophy, is a legal target for the Laboratory.

First, the Laboratory is used.

Then, the Putrid Zombie becomes a follower and stops being a trophy.

Since it is no longer a trophy, the line that says, "While this card is a trophy, you cannot have followers" no longer applies.

So the Laboratory on the Putrid Zombie would allow you to have followers again.

I completely disagree but that's cool. So everyone is OK with the stinky ass zombie actually walking around? Yeah, I think the subtext of the card albeit not "exactly" a trophy now but a follower would still apply. It could be a follower but you could have no others. But anyone is free to play it the way they see fit!

I completely disagree but that's cool. So everyone is OK with the stinky ass zombie actually walking around? Yeah, I think the subtext of the card albeit not "exactly" a trophy now but a follower would still apply. It could be a follower but you could have no others. But anyone is free to play it the way they see fit!

Art & Joker are correct.

I was under the impression that a cannot rule overrides a can rule.

I suppose it all comes down to a question of timing of whether the trophy stops being a trophy and starts becoming a follower i guess,,

Id personally say though that the trophy couldn't be turned into a follower, but that's just my opinion for the moment :D

Yep its a tough one but I'm on the yes it can fence.

There is no reason whatsoever that the Putrid Zombie (when it is a trophy) cannot be turned into a Follower with the Laboratory. There are no rules prohibiting it!

There is no reason whatsoever that the Putrid Zombie (when it is a trophy) cannot be turned into a Follower with the Laboratory. There are no rules prohibiting it!

You can use the laboratory all day long to reanimate trophies, even with the putrid zombie as a trophy. Example:

You have the putrid zombie and a mountain goat as trophies. You decide to reanimate the mountain goat. It becomes a follower, and since you cannot have followers because of the putrid zombie trophy, you must ditch it, at which point you must discard it due to the rule about ditched cards that have been changed from their original status. But nevertheless once you have reanimated the putrid zombie, it's no longer a trophy and it's special effect doesn't apply, you have instantly converted it to a follower. If it's a roleplaying mental roadblock, just picture that once reanimated it's not so smelly anymore and others can stand to be around it.

Edited by Joker2016

As for the thematic reasoning for the original question "Can I use the Laboratory on the Putrid Zombie, or would the Putrid Zombie prevent itself from becoming my Follower ?" - Why would Putrid Zombie's stench affect the zombie itself?

When it becomes self aware it's like holy God I cannot stand my own smell #suicide lol

I need to know what is the true printed text on the Putrid Zombie card please : the one I handle here says "you cannot take Followers" and the wikitalisman's "you cannot have Followers".

If it says "you cannot have Followers" do we agree I must ditch those I have ?

Edited by stranigie
On 4/30/2018 at 1:16 PM, stranigie said:

I need to know what is the true printed text on the Putrid Zombie card please : the one I handle here says "you cannot take Followers" and the wikitalisman's "you cannot have Followers".

If it says "you cannot have Followers" do we agree I must ditch those I have ?

Agreed...