ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG updates from Kickstarter

By GrimAndPerilous.com, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Hello again, ZWEIHÄNDER fans! Here is our April progress report.

The Bestiary became a monstrous task (pun intended) over the past two months with further edits and the addition of several new creatures. We revamped the entry for Abyssal baddies, up to and including expanding upon the lore behind Higher Demons, Lower Demons and their servants. This resulted in a ton of new narrative material, which was brought to conclusion late last week. You’ll recognize Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay fan favorites, along with some of our own design. We’ll showcase some of this material later in our update.

As of today, we officially have one entry left in the Bestiary! We need to button a few things up in the Game Mastery chapter, but otherwise we are tracking to have ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG complete before summer hits. We’ll have more details in the coming days for our Kickstarter, but otherwise you can watch for live updates over at our Facebook page.

Finally, as promised, here’s a look at two classifications of Demons – Higher Demons and Lower Demons. We’ve included one Demon from each, which you can use today in your GRIMDARK Beta Edition game! Head over to our home page to learn more: http://grimandperilous.com/?p=848

Edited by GrimAndPerilous.com

Keep the good work!

Question: have any of you been working on virtual macros for fantasy grounds or maptool?

Question: have any of you been working on virtual macros for fantasy grounds or maptool?

We'd love to incorporate it into our Kickstarter strategy with an enterprising collaborator!

A request on the rptools community qould certainly draw attention of designers!

Our art director Dejan is about to wrap up the remaining four pieces of art this week. In the meanwhile, I wanted to share our philosophical vision to art direction in ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG .

Our personal values strongly guided the writing process and art direction. On the outset of the project, Dejan, Tanner and I made the joint decision to include representation of all real-world races and genders throughout the book. In addition, these races are expressed in the art using female and male genders. This includes instances of transgendered and intersex characters and creatures. We also use nudity and sexuality throughout the book. In most cases, nudity is represented as the natural state of creatures, and at other times, we use it in tandem with sexuality. We hope you won't be dissuaded from enjoying ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG because of this.

Now... with that out of the way, I wanted to give you a taste of some of the new illustrations from our bestiary. Follow the link below (warning: NSFW)!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimandperilous/zweihander-grim-and-perilous-rpg/posts/1813848

EDIT - UPDATE
We've always aimed for contextual appropriateness in the artwork. For fans of Warhammer, the context is readily apparent. For others that are unfamiliar with the work, you have to read into the creature's descriptions to get a good feel for why a handful of creatures have their naughty bits exposed.

For clarification, however, the only nudity we have up to this point is restricted to the bestiary.

While I can concede to the 'inappropriateness' of sexualized nudity in the book for those who wish to expose their little ones to ZWEIHÄNDER, I personally believe that it's no different than having a discussion with them about emulated violence in a game that's intended to be violent. Frankly, ZWEIHÄNDER - and Warhammer in general - is and has always been for mature audiences.

As promised, we're releasing a series of artwork from ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG (the world's first Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay retroclone/loveletter). In our first installment for today, we'll show you all the artwork for player races from Chapter 3: Character Creation. Let us know what you think below!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimandperilous/zweihander-grim-and-perilous-rpg/posts/1820798

We'd be doing a discredit to our fanbase if we didn't show you the misfortunate 'gentlemen' of a grim & perilous world. In our third and final installment for today, here's a peek at some of the fellas in ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG.

This should give you the full picture of what we mean by inclusiveness - it's portraying a multi-cultural hodgepodge of RPG fans as the characters, as opposed to portraying traditional, 'in-game stereotypes' about elves, dwarves, humans, etc...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimandperilous/zweihander-grim-and-perilous-rpg/posts/1820863

Hey gang,

We're in the home stretch. Only a few more images remain before we complete layout!

As some of you may have heard in our AMA, we are going to be including the playtest adventure A Bitter Harvest into the main book! Originally written as a fan adventure for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay by Ovid and adapted for ZWEIHÄNDER, the adventure includes Chase Scenes, Combat Encounters, Social Intrigue and Wilderness Travel. It is meant to teach a GM how to use each of these tools during a game, while providing a structured adventure to better teach players how ZWEIHÄNDER’s mechanics work. Although most of the adventure requires the players to follow the story arc, it encourages investigation and critical thinking upon their part to put together a mystery, with a shocking resolution requiring the players to decide the best course of action to bring the adventure to a close. Although this adds about 21 pages, we wanted to ensure that GMs have a go-to adventure to introduce ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG to players.

If you aren't already following our Facebook page, you should take a moment to do so now. We've uploaded a handful of exclusive images for the campaign seeds of Gangs of Kahabro, The Lost Colony of Roanoke and Goth Moran Divided . Come check them out, exclusively on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grimandperilous/

Hey gang,

Images are finally wrapped up for ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG ! While Milena and Dejan continue working on perfecting layout, I wanted to share the second draft of our fully illustrated Bestiary - all 157 pages of it! Although we are still working on optimizing composition, arranging borders, font changes and image facing, this should give you a good look at what we're trying to achieve... 'old school feel, new school appeal'.

Note that this is a low resolution version and that the headers/borders will be changing in the final version. Let us know what you think: https://goo.gl/MCC5LA

-d.fx

With your feedback from our forums at Strike to Stun, Facebook and here on Kickstarter, the book is now complete. All the I's are dotted, T's crossed, edits done, cuts made, clarity added and improvements galore. It's been a phenomenal amount of work - far more than we had anticipated - but we couldn't have gotten there without your help. Thank you so much for being an engaged and interactive community!
So here's where we're at: this weekend, Adam Rose (our lead playtester) and I are going to finish up our table of contents. Once this happens, we'll repackage everything for Milena using InDesign, and have her prepare the Early Access Illustrated v2 PDF file for distribution the following week. We'll update our backers - both on Kickstarter and CrowdOx - with where to download. While that's happening, I will be sending off the PDF to Lulu.com (our printer) to have a few galley proofs made for myself and Tanner (roughly a week to get one made and in-hand). This is to ensure that everything meets our criteria and that the colors are correct for the cover art. I anticipate that it will take us a few days to do a quick read and verify all is in place. Once Tanner gives me the go-ahead, I will then pass off the PDF to our shipment team. We have contracted one of our internal play testers (Mike 'The Boss' Bossaller) and a group of trusted individuals to plug in orders for us. The shipments will go out in phases over a period of 3-4 weeks, starting first with domestic orders in North America, followed by international shipments.
So there you have it! Thanks once more for your patience. It's been a wild ride, and I am super pumped to show you what five years of playtesting can produce: the world's first Kickstarter-funded Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay loveletter/heartbreaker/OSR/retroclone/whatever you want to deem it as.

Everything is now over to layout to prepare the PDF to release. I will have an update here in the next week when it's ready to pass out. Keep your eyes peeled here and on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grimandperilous/

edit: As a clarification, the PDF will go out to everyone while we wait for our galley proofs from the printer. Once we okay the proofs, we will begin shipping. In addition we will be working on a "living index" on our home website, and free supplemental print-outs. Finally, we will also be preparing our files for POD at DriveThruRPG a week or so after we ship.

We got everything over to CrowdOx, and for those who qualify, you will receive a new digital fulfillment email to the registering email address in the next 24 hours. This email will contain a link to the illustrated PDF for you to download. The illustrated PDF includes several optimizations:

* "Interactive" bookmark-driven navigation in the PDF
* Completely revised Table of Contents
* Completely revised layout
* Font optimizations
* Errata from the Early Access PDF added
* Rules clarifications galore
* An Index that would put your favorite Uncle Siggy's war hammer to shame
* All-new "Order & Chaos" borders by Dejan Mandic
* Over 500 (!) beautiful illustrations by our art director, Dejan Mandic
* The official front & back cover by Jussi Alaurahio
* Easter eggs - a lot of them! If you find one, let us know over at Strike To Stun!

We also intend to release an unillustrated PDF for free to everyone, following our Kickstarter stretch goals.

For those who are expecting physical books: we expect to have the second round of proofs by early next week. I will have more information on the print version once we have reviewed the proofs.

Please let us know what you think of the illustrated PDF here (errors, display issues, praises, whatever!): http://forum.strike-to-stun.net/viewtopic.php?t=5894

We have uploaded the final version of ZWEIHÄNDER GRIM & PERILOUS RPG 'Early Access v2' PDF across CrowdOx and DriveThruRPG. This includes all rules fixes since the Early Access v1 was released last year, featuring a leaner PDF, a new layout, updated borders and more. No additional changes will be made to the Early Access v2 document. Watch your inbox for a notification email from CrowdOx, where you can download the file.

If you previously downloaded the Early Access Version 1 prior to April 28th 2017, you'll want this version.

Alternatively, you can head to DriveThruRPG to download the file outside of CrowdOx (which is still free/pay what you want): http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/192264/ZWEIHNDER-Grim--Perilous-RPG-EARLY-ACCESS-v2

We've got a new illustrated PDF coming out tomorrow. It includes an improved ToC, fixed Index, better table layout in the Appendix and comes in both 150dpi and 300dpi versions.

For CrowdOx and Kickstarter backers, watch your inboxes for another email from CrowdOx where to download it. For those who didn't have a chance to back us during Kickstarter or CrowdOx, you can buy it now in PDF format over at DriveThruRPG: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/210516/ZWEIHNDER-Grim--Perilous-RPG-FULL-VERSION

Thanks for your feedback and help!

Gamemasters! Are you interested in building a setting for your ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG? One of our backers (known as Your Humble Game Master on YouTube) has started a web series on world building, using ZWEIHÄNDER.

Today, he starts the series with Part 1: Assumptions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzwbqGH8Aqs&t=1s

For those of you who are having issues downloading version 3 (final) illustrated PDFs, we have uploaded them to CrowdOx. Some people are reporting faster download speeds at CrowdOx, so you've got that option should DriveThruRPG not work for you. Both the 150dpi and 300dpi versions are there to download.

If you continue to run into issues, please feel free to message me here so I can get you sorted.

We're still working through issues with proofing, but will have an update in the next week or so when we can begin shipping out books. We're very, very close!

Happy gaming, and talk with you soon.

-d.fx

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 9.44.14 AM.png