Dark Eldar Motivations (Adventure Prompt Help)

By pearldrum1, in Black Crusade Game Masters

**This wasn't getting much love in the RT forum, so I figured I would try here as well**

I need help coming up with the motivations of some Dark Eldar antagonists. Aside from the standard knowledge, I don't have a all the ins and outs of this race figured out. That's where you all come in. First, I will lay out the details of the game I am running.

Game: It is based on the Rogue Trader rules/Tau PC Guide but heavily modified; it uses the DH2/OW/BC combat system as well as skill/talent descriptions. On top of this, we are also working with a nice list of house rules and homebrew equipment/gear/weapons etc.

Story: PCs are part of an elite Tau task force which currently consists of two fire warriors and one gue'vesa as well as a number of optional NPC companions to accompany them on missions; the latter of which helps fill out tactical roles the small group may be missing out on. They operate similar to how a Deathwatch kill team might - rolling around in a frigate under the command of a Shas'el taking missions as they come along.

Currently in the story, they have just started their first mission. A series of pirating raids in a system on the edge of the third sphere expansion have resulted in a number of lost merchant ships and a hefty amount of cargo - specifically aid shipments to colonies on the outer rim. A merchant vessel filled with Tau Marines and gun drones was set as bait on the edge of the system with its distress beacon activated to lure the pirates in in classic Kauyon style. PCs set up at the edge of the system in their frigate with stealth fields activated. Sure enough, raider vessel entered the system after a few short days of waiting and took the bait. They have a series of objectives to complete - primary, secondary, and tertiary - with plenty of mishaps in the works by yours truly.

The PCs infiltrated the open hangar via modified Orca gunship with stealth fields activated. They are currently in the middle of rolling initiative for their first fight after their not-so-sneaky Tarellian berserker and Demiurg operator were heard sneaking into the hangar control room.

Anyways, that is all background info. Onto the meat and potatoes:

A Dark Eldar ship is going to transit into the system as well. I have a vague story of how the chaos reavers and the dark eldar are in league with one another - a mutually beneficial raiding relationship - that each is expecting to crumble anytime. But I want to have the dark eldar involvement mean more to the larger, overarching storyline. Not just a one off. What would the DE be doing in the system? Obviously something sneaky and more nefarious than simple raids. Are they seeking out a necron tomb world? Are they looking for some lost relic that they heard was in the system?

I want to have the Dark Eldar ship get the hell out of dodge when/if they become aware of the Tau mothership. But why? I am having trouble coming up with some ulterior motivation for these baddies.

Secondly, what type of ship would you recommend the Dark Eldar be roaming around in? I would imagine it is nothing larger than a frigate - more likely something smaller.

Thanks in advance. If you have any other questions for me, don't hesitate to ask.

Look towards the harlequins and your questions shall be answerd. -Inquisitor Czevak

Ok, here's my two cents: How about the dark eldar are doing what all eldar do best and have manipulated the (chaos) raiders into doing their dirty work for them ("Lets raid the Tau together! You can even have the honor of the first kill and we'll back you up! Honest!" ;) ) Their main goal would be to use the raiders as a decoy, so they can strike elswhere.

Now their objective would be a webway portal on a remote part of a new Tau world. A while ago the DE were inspired by a Harlequin performance to do their part in keeping the webway clear of non-eldar. And so they went on a mission to make sure the portal is sealed and hidden for good, so it doesn't fall into Tau hands.

I mean mon-keigh wanting to get into the webway is bad enough, but the Tau? A bunch of psychically stunted upstarts, urg no thanks! The only good thing about the Tau is that they don't like the mon-keigh either.

This all could lead to some exiting Tau vs DE fighting with the possibility of the Harlequins showing up and going " you are ruining our plans, we can't have that!"

So what do you think?

dark_eldar_x_craftworld_eldar__harlequin

Edited by Robin Graves

Arguably do DE really need much of a motive? My impression of them is that they raid, take hostages and captives for their depraved games and experiments and bugger off with a very much "live for the moment" ethos.

Otherwise they can have the general goal of collecting magical or weird artifacts to keep them alive, boost their power and to not get wiped by the high king/prince/scumbag (whatever he is) Dark Eldar guy.

Arguably do DE really need much of a motive? My impression of them is that they raid, take hostages and captives for their depraved games and experiments and bugger off with a very much "live for the moment" ethos.

Otherwise they can have the general goal of collecting magical or weird artifacts to keep them alive, boost their power and to not get wiped by the high king/prince/scumbag (whatever he is) Dark Eldar guy.

LOL! "Prince-Scumbag" that should be an official DE rank. I tought it was archon or acorn or something. :)

The DE do come of as the fae from old folklore. All creepy abductors with unknowable motives.

Still there should be a tad more to them than just Raid-R4pe-Repeat...

I love it. That is exactly what I was needing - a push in the right direction.

To answer your question Calgor, no they don't need any over arching motivation, but I would like them to play a bigger part in the story to give my players something more interesting than a run-and-gun (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Hail prince scumbag!

Now I just need to read up on Harlequin and what their deal is. Good lord, my lack of knowledge regarding the space elves is just shining through. Luckily, it will be some time before we get to that stage so I can prepare hardcore.

In the eyes of the dark gods, all xenos are filthy scum compared to the majesty and power of Chaos...so we shall hail to the false prince scumbag coward while he lives and hope that his skull will soon be offered as a cup holder to adorn onto the brass chariot of Khorne!

I love it. That is exactly what I was needing - a push in the right direction.

To answer your question Calgor, no they don't need any over arching motivation, but I would like them to play a bigger part in the story to give my players something more interesting than a run-and-gun (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Hail prince scumbag!

Now I just need to read up on Harlequin and what their deal is. Good lord, my lack of knowledge regarding the space elves is just shining through. Luckily, it will be some time before we get to that stage so I can prepare hardcore.

Perhaps though my last response was not as clear as it should have been and I wasn't suggesting you didn't need a motive no. Apologies. My response was more to the eye of what any DE's motives have ever been in general not just within your campaign. I don't see them for example undertaking grand campaigns of purging enemies, battling a constant foe...no it's just a single minded desire of self preservation by the torment of others. I don't think in any of the 40k universe they have really had that much of a notable goal other than "survive and take as many people down so that we can".

Edited by Calgor Grim

Actually, after reading a little bit about the Exodites I think it would be cool to have the frontier world actually be a secret Exodite "maiden world." The DE could be after the World Spirit to either corrupt it or drink the souls of the dead exodites there or whatever the crap they would do. PCs could fall into this larger plot and choose to aid the Exodites, choose to aid the DE (highly, highly doubtful) or wipe out both parties.

In the eyes of the dark gods, all xenos are filthy scum compared to the majesty and power of Chaos...so we shall hail to the false prince scumbag coward while he lives and hope that his skull will soon be offered as a cup holder to adorn onto the brass chariot of Khorne!

Or they could offer it up to Slaanesh for a different sort of "cup holder". ;) ;)

Actually, after reading a little bit about the Exodites I think it would be cool to have the frontier world actually be a secret Exodite "maiden world." The DE could be after the World Spirit to either corrupt it or drink the souls of the dead exodites there or whatever the crap they would do. PCs could fall into this larger plot and choose to aid the Exodites, choose to aid the DE (highly, highly doubtful) or wipe out both parties.

The Tau definatly should try to win over the exodites. That said taking over a maiden world will bring the wrath of the Bieltan craftworld Eldar. Things could get... interesting.

Or they could offer it up to Slaanesh for a different sort of "cup holder". ;) ;)

The old Saaneshi-Cod Piece trick. Classic.

As for winning over whom, it is up to my players... and you know how players can be. But they are a pretty good group. I highly doubt they would try to negotiate with the horrible aliens they were just fighting and witnessing what they are capable of.

Oh yeah, they transferred into the system with a soulcage transport ship. So, the PCs will get to see how terrifying and horrible that is as well.

Edited by pearldrum1

Annnnnnnd we are finally about ready to see some of these plans come to fruition. The glory of play-by-post.