Multiplayer Expansion Possibilities

By patox, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Having only played 1v1, I find it hard to fathom the 2v2 game being more than 1v1, except now there’s an extra person to push around tokens.

For future expansions, I hope they just don’t go down the more complicated route for complications sakes. The game doesn't need to include every variation of the TIE starfighter. It needs to continue to be narrative-based.

But it would be great to see a true 3+ player game. Here are a couple suggestions:

More factions

The addition of the Scum and Villainy faction immediately comes to mind. They would have their own objectives, missions, vehicles, etc. with their own win-condition, like collect the most money.

Alternatively, Scum and Villainy can be split up into separate syndicates, Black Sun, Hutt Cartel, Crymorah Syndicate, etc.

There are also a number of independent governments that were subjects to the suzerainty of the Empire. This includes as the Corporate Sector Authority, Hapes Consortium, Trade Federation and Chiss Ascendancy.

Traitor mechanic

Allow 2+ players on a side, each with their own secret objectives, one of which might be a traitor.

So there could be 3 Rebel players, each playing a Rebel cell with their own leaders. One of them has the possibility of being infiltrated by an Imperial Spy.

If it’s on the Imperial side, then one of the players could be a Rebel sympathizer.

Could also work for Scum and Villainy.

Another element needs to be added to keep players guessing. Something like Mission Gear. To resolve every mission, players must submit a Mission Gear card that could help or hinder the mission. A number of face-down cards are also blindly introduced to this mix. The Gear cards are secretly shuffled to ensure anonymity and the results are shown. (similar to Battlestar Galactica)

Would be interesting to see that, and those are interesting ideas, but I'm thinking this game won't be having any expansions. It's not a competitive game in the sense of X-Wing or Imperial Assault; It's more of a Star Wars version of a grand strategy game like Axis and Allies.

Or, more literally, a board game version of a computer game that never realized it's potential in that medium.

I like the ideas you're coming up with, and I do really like the idea of expansions. I'm just not trying to get my hopes up - at least not for a year or two.

It's more of a Star Wars version of a grand strategy game like Axis and Allies.

Doesn't Axis and Allies have expansions?

The game doesn't need to include every variation of the TIE starfighter. It needs to continue to be narrative-based.

Thank you. I have been trying to say that for a while.

I keep saying any expansion would include Scum and Villainy because it is a FFG trend to include them. Star Wars the LCG, Xwing, Imperial Assault. They all have a Scum and Villainy aspect to them. That said, I don't believe any expansion will be forthcoming unless they rerelease the game. As I have also said before, look at the product codes. Any game with expansions has a different coding style than any one off game.

Xwing - SWX03

Armada -SWM01

Imperial Assault - SWI01

Star Wars LCG - SWC01

Rebellion - SW03

Hmmm, the names also get longer. Interesting. An interesting questions is what was SW01 and SW02? Anyway, this is a standard across all the FFG products.

SW01 is Empire vs Rebellion. Looks like a precursor to the LCG. SW02 is undefined

Edit for research

Edited by Hersh

Empire vs Rebellion is a re-theme of CIA vs KGB, not a precursor to the LCG.

I am very uninterested in scum and villainy as a playable faction. Ever since the canon was reset I don't think scum has been emphasized as heavily of a power as it was in the past. The Zann consortium was name-dropped, but there's no reason yet to think they're a significant military power. Nor is there any reason to do so. Similarly Hapes no longer exists, and while the Chiss are canon, the ascendancy is not.

I think FFG could do more to support 2v2 by creating more diversified mechanics that each player is responsible for, not just allowing one player to have control over a shared resource. Sharing mission cards feels strange to me, but action cards don't.

Empire vs Rebellion is a re-theme of CIA vs KGB, not a precursor to the LCG.

Fair enough. Never played it. Just looked at it in the online catalogue.

I am very uninterested in scum and villainy as a playable faction. Ever since the canon was reset I don't think scum has been emphasized as heavily of a power as it was in the past. The Zann consortium was name-dropped, but there's no reason yet to think they're a significant military power. Nor is there any reason to do so. Similarly Hapes no longer exists, and while the Chiss are canon, the ascendancy is not.

I think FFG could do more to support 2v2 by creating more diversified mechanics that each player is responsible for, not just allowing one player to have control over a shared resource. Sharing mission cards feels strange to me, but action cards don't.

I think doing more for 2v2 might be interesting - maybe something to put the team mates into more competition with one another (e.g. Vader with an interest in replacing the Emperor, all Sith-style, and different factions within the Rebellion competing for their different visions of how to fight the war).

But I don't (yet) agree with your argument or line of reasoning regarding Scum.

As to the Hapes Cluster or Zann Consortium, etc., you're right that they've been Order 66'd, which IMO is not such a bad thing. I don't know if that translates into Scum being de-emphasized. (Hapes was not a Scum faction to begin with.) Black Sun and the Hutts are still with us. There was plenty of Scum in the Clone Wars, and there is quite a bit in Rebels as well. Also, FFG is still going full speed ahead with Scum in X-Wing, and the fan base seems to like it.

That said, it would be quite a puzzle to incorporate Scum into Rebellion. I don't know how they'd manage it, but I think FFG is inventive enough to do it.

I think doing more for 2v2 might be interesting - maybe something to put the team mates into more competition with one another (e.g. Vader with an interest in replacing the Emperor, all Sith-style, and different factions within the Rebellion competing for their different visions of how to fight the war).

There is some of that already. In that the general has some control that teh admiral would want and vice versa. The Admiral decides what leaders to pick and which units to build and where to place them and the general is in charge of the missions. I could definately see some conflict as the Admiral picks more leaders for himself and the General discards the missions that teh Admiral wants.

There is some of that already. In that the general has some control that the admiral would want and vice versa. The Admiral decides what leaders to pick and which units to build and where to place them and the general is in charge of the missions. I could definitely see some conflict as the Admiral picks more leaders for himself and the General discards the missions that the Admiral wants.

You're right, but it's rather minor stuff. They still win and lose as teams.

We need missions with titles like 'For the Last Time'. darth_vader_emoticon_by_kingskully.gif

Yeah, that could be cool. Or some way to involve infighting and backstabbing and such