Corruption: Mutation Question

By alemander, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

The test for mutation is against two Characteristics of the player's choice. Influence, being a Characteristic, can be used as one of the two, correct?

~ alemander

Simply, yes, that is correct

Roger that. Thanks!

~ alemander

I would say no, because influence is not a characteristic in the same sense as the other. You cannot spend point to upgrade that stat line, nor is a representation of the acolyte mind or body, more of favors, wealth and fame.

That was my thought as well at first, but it clearly states:

Influence is a characteristic, and like other characteristics it is

measured on a scale from 0–100.

So, just going by RAW under Mutation, Influence can be rolled against for it.

~ alemander

A good point, but let us say, if a players influence reaches zero does he die? I would say no*. I would say RAW yes, but it is missing the spirit of the mechanic and probably violating the mutations intended use. Or maybe it is, and its supposed to represent the fame and hunger of glory for the Acoytle?

This might be a good one to send to Tim.

*Or did they do away with that in second edition?

Only with a Zero Toughness does a character die. The rest are spelled out except for Zero Influence which would have no noticeable physical affect like the others would.

I get what you are saying about the spirit of the mechanic, but if a player was an inquisitor who carefully cultivated Influence so as to even take the Elite Advance of Inquisitor, it should be a choice to roll against to avoid the sin of mutation.

~ alemander

Here is the answer from Tim:

"Yes, it can be used here. We even have it marked as such on the character sheets, in the Mutations block :)

–Tim"

I didn't even think to look on the PC Sheet but right there it is! :o

~ alemander

Well I'll be damned...

Money the mutation away!

Money the mutation away!

Man, I'm way too important to get that tentacle. Frag off!

Money the mutation away!

Nah, it's all about how persuasive you are with the Chaos Gods. Broker a good deal and they agree not to mutate you...for now...