Build Alliance question - 3 ambiguities?

By rolfsteiner42, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Hey all; I read a lot of threads, but don't recall any solid answers for these three things.

Build Alliance says "Rebel units " - poor wording, or does just one count? -AND- if that one was only a rebel transport would it count? (I ask because it's "retreat or die", and from another thread I've read, I understand that a transport won't "blockade" a system for resources, etc.} So that's two together.

My question(s) started when I realized that it didn't specify space or ground unit - space units would make sense - but it got me wondering about Rebel ground units in this case. More to the point, I've never seen anything in black and white on this - so can the Rebels land ground units on a planet in a neutral system?

Thanks in advance; Steiner

It's still addressed in the rules reference. All plastic figures are units.You can't build or deploy if any enemy units are in the system, including transports.

Hi centralx - I looked again and it does say "any", so I guess a transport counts - but I had read a thread that said it took at least an Xwing to Blockade (talking Rebel I guess) - so I thought it was official that it had to be a ship capable of combat.

On a next note: any idea on my question about "Rebel units" (plural) on the Build Alliance Mission card - Is it literally more than one unit, or does a single unit in that system give the Rebels the two additional dice?

Finally, back to the meat of it - and like a lot of threads that go in that direction, I might have to pose this thematically. It basically comes down to the actions of GOOD vs. EVIL in the Star Wars theme. I'll ask this question again, and then I'll explain - Can the Rebels land ground units on a planet in a Neutral System? It may seem like a stupid question, but consider the differences between the Rebels and the Empire. When the Empire subjugates a Neutral System it is literally invading, violating neutrality, and stealing resources - whereas the Rebels are the GOOD GUYS, and gain loyalty ONLY through DIPLOMACY. First, the main point wasn't about deployment and the production of units - I was referring to the Rebels moving units into a Neutral System and then landing ground units on it's planet.

Thematically, if the Rebels are allowed to, then THEY TOO would be violating that systems' neutrality - and therefor endangering the (again Neutral) system with a known military force that the system in question is not even loyal to ! The hidden Rebel Base is another matter, inasmuch that (being hidden) presumes that the populous of that system doesn't even know it's there, just as the Empire still doesn't know where it is either!

On another note consider this: At first thought, (yes, we all know - or at least think so) that the Imperials are the only ones who can subjugate a system, BUT STRATEGICALLY, if the Rebels can land ground units in Neutral Systems, then they can actually (semi) subjugate them by moving along and dropping a unit(s). In future rounds they can run missions to them, getting two extra dice in each one when trying to get Loyalty! Wouldn't that be a "kind of" semi-subjugation which would be contrary the Star Wars theme as we know it? Nothing of this sort was ever shown to be the case in any of the movies - so I'm questioning if it should even be allowed.

Well, think about it and then tell me how stupid you think I am for even bringing this stuff up. Steiner

Rebel ground units can land on a neutral system but that system will not become subjugated nor will it provide the rebels with resources

Hey games; thanks for the answer, but I have to ask you if this is a situation of something which was already asked about - and answered - or if it's just one of "those things" that can happen (even though totally opposite the Star Wars theme) simply because it's a sort of big "loophole" that allows for the old "the rules don't say I can't do it" attitude? I remember playing Warhammer 40K many years ago, where an Eldar player was claiming his anti -Grav Tanks could fly over rough ground and obstructions because the rules didn't specifically say that they couldn't. Based on logical reasoning, after hashing it out, he was no longer allowed to do it by the other players in the group.

Still, I'm afraid that I question the idea of an unarmed Rebel Transport creating a "blockade" after having read two conflicting answers in different threads now.

And once again I ask this: The Rebel Build Alliance Mission card says "Rebel units" (plural) - does it mean literally more than one, or will a single Rebel unit in the system trigger the two extra dice?

Oh Drasnighta where are you? Please enlighten this lowly one with the answers he seeks! Steiner

The Imperial mission to gain Loyalty, Rule through Fear, requires Imperial units in the system because the Imperials cannot maintain order in the galaxy without troops on the ground and Star Destroyers overhead. Build Alliance can take place anywhere, because the rebels need only to dispatch a diplomat to open negotiations. However, Rebel units do not represent an invading army; if they did, they would be able to go toe to toe with the Empire. At most, they're bringing in a few transports loaded with troops and equipment. Look at how little they even had at Hoth, their main base. That much equipment would simply get swallowed up on a busy world like Nal Hutta.

So no, the Rebels aren't invading or occupying, they're petitioning. They're taking a few of their ships, and appealing en masse to the rulers of the system. If they fail, because Darth Vader shows up to remind the Hutts of the dangers of sedition, they get shrugged off, and now there's a few Rebel transports in the system. Unlike the Imperials, the Rebel units likely aren't even enough to conquer a planet's native defenses, nor are they trying to.

As to whether Build Alliance works with just one unit, it does. This is just an English Language issue: saying "one or more units" would be accurate but lengthy, while simply saying "units" covers the same ground. Check other sections of the rules for clarity: none of them refer to "one or more" units. The Rebel base, for example, gets revealed when the Empire has loyalty or ground units in the system. This is inclusive of the situation where the Empire has exactly one ground unit in the system.

Edited by GAThraawn

Finally, back to the meat of it - and like a lot of threads that go in that direction, I might have to pose this thematically. It basically comes down to the actions of GOOD vs. EVIL in the Star Wars theme. I'll ask this question again, and then I'll explain - Can the Rebels land ground units on a planet in a Neutral System? It may seem like a stupid question, but consider the differences between the Rebels and the Empire. When the Empire subjugates a Neutral System it is literally invading, violating neutrality, and stealing resources - whereas the Rebels are the GOOD GUYS, and gain loyalty ONLY through DIPLOMACY. First, the main point wasn't about deployment and the production of units - I was referring to the Rebels moving units into a Neutral System and then landing ground units on it's planet.

Thematically, if the Rebels are allowed to, then THEY TOO would be violating that systems' neutrality - and therefor endangering the (again Neutral) system with a known military force that the system in question is not even loyal to ! The hidden Rebel Base is another matter, inasmuch that (being hidden) presumes that the populous of that system doesn't even know it's there, just as the Empire still doesn't know where it is either!

On another note consider this: At first thought, (yes, we all know - or at least think so) that the Imperials are the only ones who can subjugate a system, BUT STRATEGICALLY, if the Rebels can land ground units in Neutral Systems, then they can actually (semi) subjugate them by moving along and dropping a unit(s). In future rounds they can run missions to them, getting two extra dice in each one when trying to get Loyalty! Wouldn't that be a "kind of" semi-subjugation which would be contrary the Star Wars theme as we know it? Nothing of this sort was ever shown to be the case in any of the movies - so I'm questioning if it should even be allowed.

Well, think about it and then tell me how stupid you think I am for even bringing this stuff up. Steiner

Not stupid, just perverse.

The whole notion that the Rebels are the "GOOD GUYS" fundamentally misunderstands what's going on.

When the Empire subjugates a planet, what that means is that it subjugates the forces of lawlessness, disorder, and criminality. The honest and loyal citizens of that system rejoice at the fact that the Emperor has deemed them worth of notice, and as a result, they produce military units so that the Emperor can bestow the benevolent rule of the Empire to other systems as well.

When the Rebellion arrives in a system, they infiltrate and threaten the locals, undermining the local authorities. When they engage in "diplomacy", it is through the usual means that rebellious and terrorist elements do so: blackmail, racketeering, and fearmongering.

I think GAT has it right about the card. I have been playing it as 1 unit can trigger it because it feels like that should meet the requirement.

As far as the transport goes to fit the theme,I would think of it as that commercial enterprises needed to build are cut off due to the threat of battle because maybe more rebels will show up. This in turn causes slowdowns that hinder the planet's ability to deploy new troops. Personally I haven't had any games where transports are shutting the empire down. They are to valuable for troop movement.

WOW - this is interesting! Hmm - I better put some glasses on, could have sworn I saw something that said "Mike I'll hassle Steiner" - oh well. I don't get what you mean by perverse, but wow again - for some reason I never thought of the Empire as the Good Guys - but who knows, you may be right! I mean think about when Mussolini came to power - the government pretty well quashed the mafia, and got trains running on time.

Anyway, Thanks much to GAThraawn and centralx, I really appreciate your responses to my questions. Now I know two things for fact, and also feel that I can accept an idea that didn't seem right at first.

And centralx, that's a good point you made about the value of the transports. Thanks again, Steiner

The Empire just has terrible PR. I think it's a branding issue. They give everything a terrifying name.

Let's rebrand everything.

Death Star -> Diplomacy Star

Star Destroyer -> Star Defender (wait no, think that's a video game)

Stormtroopers -> Shotmissers

Dark Side of the Force -> Thanks to pesky Jedi removal, now the ONLY side of the force

Ah, so they're actually all bad guys, and you have to decide which side you like better. Oh yeah - and one good "bad girl" - she sure looked good (back then) in a steel bikini! Take care, Steiner