Can you activate a system without moving units?

By Poe1138, in Star Wars: Rebellion

This question was asked on Board Game Geek, but I didn't see anything about it here.

Can you activate a system without moving any units?

One might want to do this in order to get a third leader into a system for a critical mission or as a sort of pass (an expensive pass using a leader) that would allow future actions in the command phase.

Yes, you could.

I'm not sure I agree with your logic, but, it is a legal move.

Edited by Hersh

Sine it it says "can move", I would say yes. This is permissible. But I think I would take issue with this happening in a system where there's no legal units that could move there. (I.e., a rebel player activating Coruscant with no ships in adjacent systems)

Yes, you could.

What logic do you disagree with?

extra leader = extra dice = greater odds of success

As for using it as a pass, I grant you that there are limited circumstances where "wasting" a leader to keep your options open would be desirable. I'm only asking if it is allowed.

Sine it it says "can move", I would say yes. This is permissible. But I think I would take issue with this happening in a system where there's no legal units that could move there. (I.e., a rebel player activating Coruscant with no ships in adjacent systems)

I feel the same way. It feels wrong somehow, but the rules seem to allow it.

I would personally consider this a reasonable action. You are effectivly sending an agent covertly to assist in opposing or performing a mission you have planned or expect to occur. I think this would just be effective/prudent planning.

This isn't a bad strategy at all. If you have a leader in your pool that you weren't really planning on doing anything with, you could always send him into a system to help a future mission.

Yes, you could.

What logic do you disagree with?

extra leader = extra dice = greater odds of success

As for using it as a pass, I grant you that there are limited circumstances where "wasting" a leader to keep your options open would be desirable. I'm only asking if it is allowed.

The logic I disagree with is "wasting" a leader. They are at a premium as it is. The rebel is always losing theirs, (maybe if they cleaned up after themselves, they wouldn't keep misplacing them), and the Imp ALWAYS needs leaders to go rebel hunting, (maybe if they would just ask for directions and stop being so obstinate, darnit).

As I said, I believe it is a legitimate move, I just can NOT see a time when this would be a good strategy. I could be wrong, (heck, ask my wife, I usually am), but I can't see it. I don't think the extra dice would be worth it in too many situations. Oppose on mission with more dice, (which may or may not work out), or move a fleet to check AND subjugate a planet. I know which way I would go.

This is obviously completely unofficial but similar to what I said earlier, I would houserule that while it's legal to activate and move no units, it is not acceptable to do so in a system which you could not move units to. If there are no units in adjacent systems able to move to the leader's system (either because there are no units, other leaders prevent movement, or because of an impassable border) then activation should not be allowed.

I might also houserule that it's illegal in a system with enemy units in the space theater as activation would normally provoke a battle and the leader is unable to defend himself. The only options for placing your leader in occupied enemy territory should be as part of a covert mission or a military action.

So if you decide to play with this tactic, please consider this houserule.

Oh, and we must remember the ACTUAL rule that to activate a system, the leader needs to have tactics values.

Oh, and we must remember the ACTUAL rule that to activate a system, the leader needs to have tactics values.

Poor Mon Mothma

And Boba

Your consideration that the leader would not be able to defend himself has no bearing, as leaders go into enemy zones to perform missions, I don't see how activating a region should be any different.

Your consideration that the leader would not be able to defend himself has no bearing, as leaders go into enemy zones to perform missions, I don't see how activating a region should be any different.

Missions don't start combats. Activations do.

Or to put it another way.

Mission = Han flying the shuttle Tyderium to Endor

No movement activation = Lando flying the Falcon to Endor and leaving the rebel fleet behind.

But it's a houserule I'm presenting for consideration. If you don't like it, don't use it.