Question re the neutral cards

By PaleKing, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted before, I've not been keeping up with these boards. I've just picked up the Skavenblight expansion and the bundle of neutrals in there made me wonder about how a deck's ten neutrals are allocated. In the base game each player is dealt ten from the starting 24 and all 24 are suitable for any race. As we accumulate more expansions the neutrals deck grows and includes cards restricted to Order or Destruction.

Do we still deal ten randoms from the deck? As the neutrals supply grows, certain desirable cards become harder to get from a deal of ten randoms. Not an issue in itself perhaps but that mechanic leads to certain players not wanting certain cards in their collection. As we expand the game to include more Order/Destruction specific neutrals, faction-specific neutrals may be dealt to the wrong faction. Do we perhaps choose ten neutrals in the expanded game in teh same way that we build the rest of the deck?

One last related one - am I right in thinking that a game can be played between players with different-sized decks? Should both players agree an 80-card game or 50-card game etc? Or is there an offset in advantage somewhere that I'm missing? Also - Shouldn't larger decks include more neutrals to retain game balance?

Cheers

PaleKing said:

Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted before, I've not been keeping up with these boards. I've just picked up the Skavenblight expansion and the bundle of neutrals in there made me wonder about how a deck's ten neutrals are allocated. In the base game each player is dealt ten from the starting 24 and all 24 are suitable for any race. As we accumulate more expansions the neutrals deck grows and includes cards restricted to Order or Destruction.

Do we still deal ten randoms from the deck? As the neutrals supply grows, certain desirable cards become harder to get from a deal of ten randoms. Not an issue in itself perhaps but that mechanic leads to certain players not wanting certain cards in their collection. As we expand the game to include more Order/Destruction specific neutrals, faction-specific neutrals may be dealt to the wrong faction. Do we perhaps choose ten neutrals in the expanded game in teh same way that we build the rest of the deck?

One last related one - am I right in thinking that a game can be played between players with different-sized decks? Should both players agree an 80-card game or 50-card game etc? Or is there an offset in advantage somewhere that I'm missing? Also - Shouldn't larger decks include more neutrals to retain game balance?

Cheers

The game is really intended to be played with decks that you construct yourself. The idea is that you take all the cards you have and make a deck that is your own creation and fight someone with it. So no, don't deal ten randoms to each person. Choose 50 of your best cards and make a deck of them.

And there is no rule saying the players need to have the same sized decks. There is a trade off between having a small deck versus a large deck:

Decks with only 50 cards will run out of cards faster, BUT they have the nice advantage that if you need a certain card then the probability of drawing it is high.

80 card decks won't run out of cards, but if you need a certain card your chances of drawing it are slim.

So it really is up to a player's preference what size deck they want. Certain deck themes will fit with certain deck sizes.

Cheers for the help. Does that mean that players can have as many or as few neutral cards in their deck as they like?

PaleKing said:

Cheers for the help. Does that mean that players can have as many or as few neutral cards in their deck as they like?

yes that is correct... players can pick whatever number of neutral cards they like when they build their decks