Rogue Trader Daemon Homebrew?

By HypeIzReflex, in Rogue Trader House Rules

Hiya, just an curious thing from my tabletop club in college. We do run a few sessions of rogue trader and have fun with some of the loyalist crews sometimes how bouts with the corrupted ones, but the latter brought up an good question, we may have fought daemons from DH and DW, but what about becoming one? I wasn't sure if it could be done, even with the other homebrews and additions. I checked online and none seemed to be coming up. I was thinking of making one, but not sure on how to make it into a fair creation. I do know that they need to come from a warp rift and can only manifest for so long, but is there somehow a way for them to continue manifestation? I am not asking for greater demons or the lesser (though might be nice to have the lesser as prestige classes), but perhaps start unaligned to a point to pledge loyalty to an God. If we can make a genestealer and a necron have independent thought, why not make a manifesting daemon? (though this should be available for an corrupt crew only)

Here are my suggestions.

Look at the rules for creating Daemonhosts from either of the Dark Heresy lines. Choose a binding strength you think is balanced, and then roll up the character. The character is technically a Daemon tied into a mortal body, but can eventually warp that body into a new form. Advance per game line of choosing (Black Crusade makes the most sense, and is the easiest to adapt).

Pick a lesser Daemon (like a Daemonette) out of one of the books. Advance that character per Black Crusade, except that Opposed advancements aren't just expensive, but completely forbidden to you (the same should be true with any Daemonhost who isn't unaligned).

Third, if you want a regular character to become a Daemon, look at the mutation list, there is one at the bottom that pretty much does exactly that. That, or just play the characters as Black Crusade characters in a starship (which is probably the easiest way of doing things really, because becoming a Daemon is the target long-term goal of most heretics).

That sounds pretty simple enough. I'll review those paths and see which one will be good to offer to the people. Thank you so much for this.

Hiya, just an curious thing from my tabletop club in college. We do run a few sessions of rogue trader and have fun with some of the loyalist crews sometimes how bouts with the corrupted ones, but the latter brought up an good question, we may have fought daemons from DH and DW, but what about becoming one? I wasn't sure if it could be done, even with the other homebrews and additions. I checked online and none seemed to be coming up. I was thinking of making one, but not sure on how to make it into a fair creation. I do know that they need to come from a warp rift and can only manifest for so long, but is there somehow a way for them to continue manifestation? I am not asking for greater demons or the lesser (though might be nice to have the lesser as prestige classes), but perhaps start unaligned to a point to pledge loyalty to an God. If we can make a genestealer and a necron have independent thought, why not make a manifesting daemon? (though this should be available for an corrupt crew only)

There are three canon ways (I know of) for a daemon to have a more permanent manifestation. One is worship, daemonprinces often cling to the world longer through the worship from their warbands, I have only seen it mentioned as a method for daemonprinces however. One is to be reforged into a Soulgrinder which is not hindered by limited manifestations, this I have only seen mentioned as a possible method for Greater Daemons. The third is to be bound through a ritual into something else such as an item or a daemonhost, this can happen to any daemon but is hated by the daemons that suffer the fate.

To become a daemon is the highest possible honour for someone worshipping chaos, the end goal for most. The path to ascension should be an exciting long campaign for a corrupted player. I would suggest not allowing a half-way or simple form here, let it be the struggle it should be and watch the pride of the player as he finally ascends to become a dark master of chaos, a mighty daemonprince.

To create a few daemon careers should be possible however. Not being able to be permanently present can be an interesting mechanic if done right.

Again thanks! I would have to set them up as it is. But I thank everyone for their input! I will make it an long term goal as it should be in the canon.