Slight annoyance with a lot of reviews for WHQ

By FatherTurin, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Sorry for the click-baity title, but I needed to vent a little. A lot of video reviews I've seen have described each heroes "refresh" action (the one that readies all actions) as something that hero is "really good" at. Except...they aren't. The action that readies other actions is usually the weakest one out of all of them. "For example, the waywatcher is really good at attacking." No, she f**king isn't. A one die attack that heals one if she kills something? Give me the ironbreaker any day of the week.

I get why it's designed that way, and it's really clever design. I also get why they say that in a review, it's an easier way to describe the mechanic than spending half the review going over the mechanics in detail. Still, it's annoying.

I completely agree. It is a really good design that just covers weaknesses.

I didn't see it as an ability they are good at...I saw it as an ability they could do quickly.

Waywatcher rapid firing arrows.

Ironbreaker standing behind his shield.

Warrior Priest Muttering Prayers.

and Bright Wizard channeling it's flaming skull apparition around.

These aren't exceptionally effective abilities...hard hits and careful exploration take time.

this is abstractly represented by how often the card is able to be used...how much effort it takes to be in position to use it effectively.

The refresh actions are quick actions that can be done as often as needed.

that is just the thinking in my head as I play this game.