Question: activating systems

By Genesis1701d, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Two related questions:

to activate a system, is it always necessary to play a leader from your leader pool specifically to activate the system? Eg, if you play s leader in a system to complete a mission or to defend against an opponents attack, can that leader also activate the system?

Second, once you activate a system and move units it into and resolve a combat, is the system still activated (allowing you to now move additional units into it)? Or does one activation=one movement of troops? Say your imperial and you activate a system and move a transport and single storm trooper into a system. This reveals the rebel base. Can you then move more adjacent units in or would you have to wait until your next command turn to reactivity with another leader?

To activate a system, the leader must come from the leader pool. Playing a mission in a system does NOT count as activating the system.

One activation = one movement. In your example, you'd have to wait for your next command turn to reactivate the system.

Activating a system happens in 5 steps.

1. Place the leader

2. Move units

3. Reveal base (if the Imps have ground units and the base is there of course)

4. Resolve combat

5. Subjugate (if Imperial player and you gain control of the system)

Edited by kmanweiss

Clarification on step 2 of kmanweiss's list: when you move units, you can move from multiple adjacent systems, so the units don't all have to come from the same system.

Thank you guys! That's what I thought but wasn't sure if we were doing it wrong.

And always remember, you cannot move units out of a System that already contains a Leader. So, don't play Missions in a system you plan on attacking from, until after you move the Fleet out.

And always remember, you cannot move units out of a System that already contains a Leader. So, don't play Missions in a system you plan on attacking from, until after you move the Fleet out.

Does this apply to any action/ activation? I've played a game where the Imp army was jumping several times by simply putting leaders one after the other. It seemed odd at the time but I did not see what you mention in the rules. Then again I've only played 3 games and there's a lot of rules.

Does this apply to any action/ activation? I've played a game where the Imp army was jumping several times by simply putting leaders one after the other. It seemed odd at the time but I did not see what you mention in the rules. Then again I've only played 3 games and there's a lot of rules.

Yes, this rule almost always is in place unless the card specifically states otherwise (only a couple cards negate this rule).

So you can't hop systems like that. If I play a leader in a system activating it, I can move units to that system. If I place a leader in the neighboring system, I can't pull troops from the first system as a leader is there effectively locking them in position.

This is a tactic that should be utilized by the Rebels. Big Imp army near your base, play an important mission in that system. If they oppose it, their troops are locked in place and cannot move. If they don't oppose, you completed the mission.

Take a strike force and attack a fleet that you don't want to move. If they defend with a leader, you've locked them in place and can retreat. If they don't defend with a leader, then you might be able to do some nice damage with your advantage.

Thanks Kmanweiss!

Particularly helpful is the way you're turning this into a Rebel tactic.

Will definitely try it in my next game.

Yes, this rule almost always is in place unless the card specifically states otherwise (only a couple cards negate this rule).

So you can't hop systems like that. If I play a leader in a system activating it, I can move units to that system. If I place a leader in the neighboring system, I can't pull troops from the first system as a leader is there effectively locking them in position.

This is a tactic that should be utilized by the Rebels. Big Imp army near your base, play an important mission in that system. If they oppose it, their troops are locked in place and cannot move. If they don't oppose, you completed the mission.

Take a strike force and attack a fleet that you don't want to move. If they defend with a leader, you've locked them in place and can retreat. If they don't defend with a leader, then you might be able to do some nice damage with your advantage.

And when you're playing against a savvy Rebel, be aware of this tactic. If the Rebels are consistently targeting a specific fleet, there's a good chance the base is in the area.

Or the rebels want you to think that.

Or the Rebels want you to think that they want you to think that...

OR they want you to think that they thought that you think that they clearly cannot choose the cup in front of them.

And that's one of the many things that makes this game great.

Or the Rebels want you to think that they want you to think that...

OR they want you to think that they thought that you think that they clearly cannot choose the cup in front of them.

And that's one of the many things that makes this game great.

Inconceivable!

I've spent the past few years building up an immunity to Rebel Bases.