Need help roll playing my sororitas!

By Wadesauce, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

Hello guys, I'm going to create a shrine world, adepta sororitas, hierophant. I like the sisters of battle and sororitas in general, but I don't know what their behavior would be like on a personal level.. can people help me get into the mind of a sororitas acolyte?

Also, how well would a sororitas deal with less devote fellow acolytes? If I'm in a crew with some void born ass hole who is in general disrespectful, would a sister be above that and ignore it, attempt to correct the behavior, or take a stand all togeter?

Personal view on the setting: While the Sororitas command faith from those they associate with, they also understand that they are the chosen few. All Imperium citizens must have faith, but their faith is special . They are especially devoted to their faith and they know it. So while they may expect devotion from those they surround themselves with, it is not unfeasible they may forgive the occasional slip from their less pious comrades. So long as they Emperor's will is enforced, and his teachings maintained it doesn't matter if the former Imperial Guardsman doesn't read his holy texts by the hour, or say the proper rites of victory upon vanquishing a foe. He has done his Emperor-sworn duty and that is enough.

With regards to the Voidborn *******, it depends on the Sororita, and how you want to portray her. Certainly, she won't stand for disrespect, and disrespecting a Sister of Battle is a good way to find yourself tied down and getting lashed. If said individual happens to be a Psyker? ...Oh yeah. He's getting torched. Sisters of Battle may (barely) tolerate Psykers, but a Psyker is on even thinner ice with an Adeptus Soriritas thanthey would be with the vast majority of Imperial citizenry.

How much disrespect your Sister is willing to tolerate is up to you, just remember that to a Sister of Battle, slighting them is akin to mocking the Emperor. Again. Depending on their temperance they MAY excuse the odd slip-up, but continual disrespect would not be tolerated. The question you should ask, is "what constitutes a minor slip-up that can be ignored or merely admonished, and what constitutes a serious breach of respect and is going to get the sister pulling out the whip or flamer."

And on the other side of the board is the Sororitas who realizes the world doesn't revolve around her piety (this should be much more likely with Sororitas who've had experiences outside of the Ecclesiarchy, like Hospitallers, Dialogus, those drafted by the Inquisition, etc.).

She might have problems with some jerk Voidborn, but she knows that in the end, karma will get him good. She might try to redeem him for a bit, or she might give up on him as a lost soul who is past her reach. It's all in the God-Emperor's hands at that point.

Or, she's just going to start punching him in the kidney every time he's an *******. Corporal punishment will get through eventually, either by making him honestly rethink his decisions or decide the blood in his urine isn't worth the jabs.

Others might just flat-out ignore the obviously unworthy ship-head (ha!) and go on about their business.

Perhaps you've got a friendly space nun who gives as good as she gets; it isn't like there isn't some humanity amongst the Sororitas. Maybe she came from a more socially laid-back convent, or she's the odd duck and there's a reason she ended up with the Inquisition instead of with her other Sisters.

You're really talking about people here; sure, these are very religious people, but not all of them are frothing at the mouth, violent bolter-babes. Some will be more understanding, friendly or maybe they just don't care.

Keep in mind Col, not all Sororitas are Sisters of Battle. A Heirophant strikes me as one of the non-militant branches (though it doesn't prevent her from having skills in that direction, the Sororitas Missionaries don't just keel over when the goings get rough).

Uhm..No. A Sister Dialogous might tolerate some less than preferred speech because she's a diplomat. But a true Sister of battle? You will only bad-mouth her once! If a Sister feels you are disrespectful of her, you are disrespectful of her order and by extension, the Emperor! That will get you flame-broiled!

I know that in many groups someone will always want to be the irreverent smarta$$. But if your going for any kind of immersion in the setting, no one in their right mind is going to encourage the wrath of ANYONE in the Ecclesiarchy!

That being said, as long as the Sister feels she is protecting faithful citizens, she may come off as caring and compassionate to them!

And on the other side of the board is the Sororitas who realizes the world doesn't revolve around her piety

Regardless of the other points, which I acknowledge can differ depending upon your flavor of the setting, I have to drop a "No." in response to this.

To the Adeptas Sororitas, and the Ecclesiarchy in general, the universe absolutely revolves around a Sororitas piety. He is the God Emperor, and anything that DOESN'T bow down in worship to him is a filthy heretic and needs to be purged in cleansing flame.

Some people may stumble or slip in their worship, and that is fine, for afterall, only the God Emperor is truly perfect.

Those who deny his omnipotence are enemies and deserve the purifying flame.

The Imperium of Man is a fanatical, overzealous machine. Adeptas Sororitas and the Ecclesiarchy are zealots even by those standards.

Edited by ColArana

You do realize Sisters of Battle are only the most famous form of Sororitas Rad, right? They don't make up the majority? There's missionaries, doctors, diplomats, linguists, historians and more amongst their order. The militant branch is elite enough that they can't just fill the ranks like the other non-combatant ones can. We don't even know what kind this one is.

That's your interpretation, and I don't really agree with it. To start, being 'disrespectful' doesn't always mean you're insulting anything more than them. Also, a Sister of Battle isn't a Commissar, and a Sister of Battle in the service of an Inquisitor generally has limits put on them. They're generally not going to be flame-broiling anyone on their side without a really good reason.

Okay, you quoted me Col. Now, reread it. I didn't say the galaxy doesn't revolve around the God-Emperor. It does, from the perspective of the Sororitas, Ecclesiarchy and the majority of Mankind.

I said it doesn't revolve around her piety. There's a difference. A Sister can have enough empathy (not compassion) to recognize 'this dude might be a jerk,' but accept that and let him keep doing what he does to serve the Imperium through the Inquisition.

One thing to decide is how much this Sister, regardless of her calling, has been exposed to outside influences. If she's one of the Sisters who was raised in a closed convent setting, who really never interacted with people of a "less pious" nature, she might be the cliche naive that can't understand humor, sarcasm, or such things, and she'll act erroneously, but accordingly. If she's spent more time among the common masses, say after clearing out a hive of some malcontent heretics, she might be a bit more begrudgingly accepting of the idiot who whistles at her, and says he wants to buy her a drink. All in all, it will mostly come down to experiences, and how she's taken them, as well as how the player decides her stereotype, whichever one she embraces, would react.

It also might matter in what way this voidborn is disrespectful. If he's more derogatory of her gender (a not all together uncommon thing in the 40k universe), or claims to find her martial prowess deficient, she might ignore him, or offer to demonstrate for him (on him) the capacity of her skills. If he's derogatory of her faith, or of the God-Emperor, then he's pretty much finished, because she sort of CAN'T tolerate that.It's in the Emperor's hands, but she'll help him get there more quickly. So yeah, insult a person, you probably get away, for a bit, and if it's apparent that the whole party receives it, then that's just an attention-getter, but insult beliefs...maybe time to write up a new character, and hopefully not be too surprised it came to that, after he sounds like one of the more entertaining articles on the GE, the Sisters, and a few other things on 1d4chan.

To the Adeptas Sororitas, and the Ecclesiarchy in general, the universe absolutely revolves around a Sororitas piety. He is the God Emperor, and anything that DOESN'T bow down in worship to him is a filthy heretic and needs to be purged in cleansing flame.

Anyone, of any kind, will be changed by exposure to something else.

There is a diffrence between not having faith in the god emperor and understanding that not everything in the universe revolves around piety.

You can be faithful without being only concerned about worship and I think that an Adepta Sororitas, especially one taken in a group of acolytes (unless she is in a monodominant group of as*holes), can have some understanding of what is around her.

Oddly enough, I am in a similar situation. I too am playing a Adepta Sororitas Hierophant from a Shrine World. Essentially, I was working as a missionary in the under hive when the Inquisitorial Retinue picked me up during a zombie attack, and I've been with them ever since. Now this group is fairly amoral and semi-radical, so normally this would be a problem. Fortunately they're smart enough to hide their less than righteous natures from me, and my perception is so bad that it usually works. I am even convinced that the most amoral member of the group is a paragon of virtue and a strong adherent to the Imperial Creed. They hide their flaws from me because while they know I have some leniency for minor deviant behavior, I was doing missionary work in the under-hive proselytizing to hive gangers, serious breaches will get them killed. I've already feuded with the proselytizing tech-priest a few times and the only thing keeping me from killing the crazy tech-priest is the assurances from the rest of the party that they will deal with him if he steps over one too many lines. I even burned my servant for lying to me, since I am a servant of the God-Emperor's will, lying to me is like lying to the God-Emperor, and lying to the God-Emperor is heresy. Point being the Adepta Sororitas in the Inquisition have to work with some unsavory characters, and you are going to have to deal with that. Hopefully your party is wise enough not to do the really bad stuff in front of you, and are even wiser not to tell you, such as talking to their Eldar sniper rifle or leading one of your converts down a dark alley and brutally murdering them (true stories). If the voidborn is continually disrespectful, you should take steps to correct his behavior. Remember, you are representing your sisters, the Ecclesiarchy and the Emperor, you must always hold yourself up as an example to the rabble.

You do realize Sisters of Battle are only the most famous form of Sororitas Rad, right? They don't make up the majority? There's missionaries, doctors, diplomats, linguists, historians and more amongst their order. The militant branch is elite enough that they can't just fill the ranks like the other non-combatant ones can. We don't even know what kind this one is.

That's your interpretation, and I don't really agree with it. To start, being 'disrespectful' doesn't always mean you're insulting anything more than them. Also, a Sister of Battle isn't a Commissar, and a Sister of Battle in the service of an Inquisitor generally has limits put on them. They're generally not going to be flame-broiling anyone on their side without a really good reason.

Okay, you quoted me Col. Now, reread it. I didn't say the galaxy doesn't revolve around the God-Emperor. It does, from the perspective of the Sororitas, Ecclesiarchy and the majority of Mankind.

I said it doesn't revolve around her piety. There's a difference. A Sister can have enough empathy (not compassion) to recognize 'this dude might be a jerk,' but accept that and let him keep doing what he does to serve the Imperium through the Inquisition.

You do realize I specified a battle sister and carved out certain other specialties right? Beyond that I stand by my remarks! By "disrespectful" I assume you mean something other than a silly "safe space trigger" right? Micro aggressions are not really a thing in 40k. So, offering to buy her a drink after a successful mission is not being disrespectful. Catcalling her when you know what she is would be!

Hello guys, I'm going to create a shrine world, adepta sororitas, hierophant. I like the sisters of battle and sororitas in general, but I don't know what their behavior would be like on a personal level.. can people help me get into the mind of a sororitas acolyte?

Also, how well would a sororitas deal with less devote fellow acolytes? If I'm in a crew with some void born ass hole who is in general disrespectful, would a sister be above that and ignore it, attempt to correct the behavior, or take a stand all togeter?

Sororitas are a bit like the good ole Paladin of dungeons and dragons, with the distinct difference that instead of protecting the innocent they are protecting the faithful, which in 40K is not always the same.

So her attitude towards her fellow acolytes is very dependent on WHO they show disrespect. If its a true follower of Him on Terra she is bound to get very upset, but I would think she doesn't mind if its against a disbeliever, and may even support it against the heretic.

They are a martial religious order, like the knights Templar or knights hospitlar of the Crusades - look for examples of how they behaved (or at least we're expected to behave)

Highly trained and devout nuns of war

Behavior would probably be down to the individual (remember they are human at the end of the day). Ultimately it depends on the personality of the individual sister as to how they view less pious members of the Imperial flock as well as what Order they are past of. As far as I can recall there are four major orders...

Orders Militant - The warriors

Orders Hospitaller - The healers

Orders Famulous - The teachers and advisors

Orders Dialogous - The translators

There are then dozens of smaller non militant orders which perform any number of different tasks from retrieving holy artifacts to singing in choirs to helping discover new human-settled worlds. At the end of the day though each sister takes the Emperor as her husband and is about as devout and pious as they come. If this voidborn is general disrespectful they might pity him or see him as a test from the Emperor on their patience and foreberance. Equally it could lead to the voidborn getting punched in the face if he comes across a Orders Militant sister who has a short temper and little time for fools.