Expansion Rules Changes/Improvements

By svranes, in Forbidden Stars

Assuming that an expansion is coming, aside from the obvious addition of new factions, I'd like to see some kind of mechanism where you can overcome the "screw the guy to the right" problem.

Any ideas out there? Maybe another order or some kind of mechanism that assigns the first player or how the players place their tokens, allowing variable participation ordering each turn?

Too complex?

what is the "screw the guy to the right" problem?

what is the "screw the guy to the right" problem?

I think this is one game that would benefit from the 'bid for the place you want' rule. bid with what I dont know. Perhaps everybody gets a suit of cards (ace high) and do it like El Grande

i.e. before each round, and including setup, you pick cards and the order of the cards determines the order of play. Once a card leaves your deck you cant use it again, its burned.

to stop draws, it proceeds like this - very 1st turn a random player picks and displays a card. the next player in table order does the same, but cant pick the same card as a card that has already been displayed. After everybody has displayed a card, that is the turn order for setup/that turn.

the next turn, the person who went last in the previous turn is the person who selects and displays the 1st card...

Edited by stevenmathers

I'd be happy with "players play event cards and move storms in order of ascending VP score".

I'd be even happier just doing away with warp storms entirely. They cripple plans and there's no balancing mechanic to them. Even if you move them out of your way, they can easily just move back to screw you next turn.

I like warp storms as they are another minigame, one that can balance things out. They stop most easy objective grabs on the opening turn, and give embattled sectors a chance to build up defences before they can be overrun. They also give a slight boost to anyone who messed up their order stacks this turn, since forfeiting unusable orders gives you multiple chances to get the exact Warp movement you need.

They are also one of the few things to stop Eldar going wherever they want, and give Chaos lots of thematic interactions with the game.