Returning player

By leonhart040, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

Hi!

I'm spanish returning player, and after some years of rest, and I found there are too many expansions to buy them at once.. I've seen a new deluxe expansion for necrons is going to be released some days from now, and I wanted to know if with a single core and this expansions is posible to make a playable deck.

I don't know how deluxe expansions work, do tey have neutral cards like the core set? Are they like a core set?

Also, I have the "Howl of Blackmane" and "Gift of the Ethereals" expanisons pack, and I plan to play SM or SW. Which other expansions you recomend for a competitive deck?

Thanks!

Well take this from some who has just ordered my 1st core and Tyranid deluxe expansion; I have done a TON of homework on this game, debating to take the plunge or not, so here we go and anyone can correct me where I am wrong.

The core only comes with one of each card, so picking up a 2nd or 3rd core OR if you are just doing SM, you can E-Bay just the SM cards for the core for $6-$8 US, not sure what shipping would be though. Then you will have 3 of each card. There are some generics: Void Pirate and others, that maybe a bit harder to come by (a 2nd or 3rd copy) if you don't just buy another core.

My understanding with the deluxe expansions ('Nids and Necrons) and ALL the "Cycle" packs, is that each of those contain 3 copies of each card, so you don't have to buy multiples.

Not sure what makes a good deck or not, but you probably have a "decent" pool of cards to make an OK Space Marine deck. I am not sure as to what packs have good SM cards yet, however, the pack that just released, with the Black Templar dude on the front, looked like it had some awesome SM cards.

Hope this helps, from someone who knows just enough to be dangerous!

Edited by Jut

The core isn't exactly one of everything. The neutral cards for example, have two copies of everything. Each faction also has one or two cards which have two copies instead of one.

To be honest, I jumped right in by buying 3 core sets. It kind of stinks that one core is really just a taste of what I would call the full experience, but on the other I get that a core set experience can't throw that much at you at once (the limited card pool is much better for learning the basics). At the same time, while 3 cores gets you quite a few wasted cards (2 extras of each warlord and signature unit and 2 extra sets of planets), it actually isn't as bad as going in for the third core of, say, Netrunner.

Even if you don't get a 3rd core, I really think a second core would expand your options a lot. Luckily the tyranid and (apparently) necrons expansions all come with 3 of each non-warlord/signature card right out of the gate.