Legacy Weapons Inheritence/Infamy

By Arseofmars, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

I'm not new to Black Crusade - I've got a couple of games under my belt and I'm even about to start my own Campaign. But there is one thing that keeps puzzling me about creating pre-generated Legacy Weapons;

The Infamy. I perfectly understand why there is an added Corruption value to the Legacy weapon and I know the rules behind the Legacy Weapon being in the hands of someone with less corruption.

But I keep re-reading these particular lines from the Tome of Blood - and to be honest, they are rather obscure to me. I don't know if I'm missing something completely like an idiot or if I had to interpret the rules and make a house rule.

Here's the lines;

"Once the GM determines the weapon’s would-be owner has spent enough time with it, the Heretic may attempt an Infamy Test as if he were elevating the weapon. It is treated as an Inherited Legacy Weapon (see page 60), with Corruption and Infamy corresponding to those of its previous owner at the time of their death." - Page 58, in "Ownership of Legacy Weapons"

"The bonus Damage and Penetration, as well as the effects of Legacy Abilities, are based on the Infamy of the weapon’s current wielder. Once per session, under circumstances which the GM deems reasonable, the Heretic can invoke the reputation of his weapon in order to supplement his own. When he does so, the player may substitute the weapon’s Infamy for his own on a single Test. However, doing this runs the risk of backfiring, as others scorn the Heretic as unworthy to wield the weapon. If the Test is failed by 3 or more Degrees, the Heretic loses 1d5 Infamy Points. There may also be in-game consequences, such as others deciding to relieve the unfit owner of the weapon." - Page 60, under "Inherited Legacy Weapons"

As far as my confused understanding goes, The inherited Legacy Weapon has it's own infamy total - and the wielder can choose to replace it with his own for specific tests? I don't get it.

Just what am I missing here?

I think what they mean is the following situation. You have a Legacy Weapon created by some infamous warlord a long time ago. In this scenario this former wielder has a considerable Infamy total, lets say 70. After this individual dies however, the weapon remains behind and is then picked up by say, an Infamy 45 PC. The weapon now uses his Infamy Bonus of 4 for its Damage and Penetration bonuses, however once per session the PC can invoke the reputation of the weapon from the legends surrounding its original wielder and use an Infamy Bonus of 7.

That's my interpretation at least, hope it helps.

It makes sense - thanks KoNi!